You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

2018 FIFA World Cup Russia

Discussions about football played outside Europe, or international competitions.

Who do you think will win the 2018 FIFA World Cup?

Poll ended at Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:48 am

Uruguay
No votes
France
41%
Brazil
18%
Belgium
12%
Sweden
No votes
England
6%
Russia
6%
Croatia
18%

Total votes : 17

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia

Postby tflags » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:29 pm

ramsej84 wrote:Sweden and Mexico both failed to win their final warm up.

May of 2014; 14 days before the World Cup, on a meaningless friendly Mexico beat Ecuador playing like they were in Brazil already. Two players, Montes and Marquez got injured. Montes broke a tibia on an stupid challenge. Missed the entire Cup.

Mexico went on to lose their next two friendlies before winning their entire group stage in Brazil and lost only to penalties vs the Netherlands for a dive Robben admitted to.

On the same month, Germany faced Armenia. Unable to score a single goal, and coming back to his roots as a right winger, Marco Reus thrusts forward only to get fouled on the brink of the half time break. He never saw Brazil; for a meaningless friendly Germany went on to win 6-1.

Friendlies in May and June are the most lying pieces of evidence around.
Kimmich
Kimmich - Thiago - Kimmich
Kimmich -- Kimmich
Kimmich -- Hummels -- Boa --Kimmich
Kimmich with Gloves
tflags

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Ecuador
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:49 pm

Taking part in a competition between friends where we have to predict all world cup games, but the twist is we have to predict everything now, so we have to assume who is going to play who in the KO rounds (our predicted score still counts even if the teams are different but obviously it is easier to predict if you guess the teams).

My predicted world cup looks very different than the ones I've seen by most people and bookmakers...

Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:54 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:Taking part in a competition between friends where we have to predict all world cup games, but the twist is we have to predict everything now, so we have to assume who is going to play who in the KO rounds (our predicted score still counts even if the teams are different but obviously it is easier to predict if you guess the teams).

My predicted world cup looks very different than the ones I've seen by most people and bookmakers...

Denmark are strong... they will make it out from the group

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:01 pm

Not that convinced by them although Peru aren't exactly very strong. I have bigger upsets. ;)
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby America USA » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:04 pm

Every World Cup springs us a few surprises and big upsets. That’s why many people are going by past evidence of the same happening. Now imagine if no upsets happen and there are no surprises this time! :lol:

Bet the “neutrals” would lose their minds :mrgreen:
America USA
I post all the time

Years of membership

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:09 pm

America USA wrote:Every World Cup springs us a few surprises and big upsets. That’s why many people are going by past evidence of the same happening. Now imagine if no upsets happen and there are no surprises this time! :lol:

Exactly. As you can see above I expect the two biggest surprises to be Uruguay and Senegal.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby tflags » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:10 pm

ramsej84 wrote:Denmark are strong... they will make it out from the group

Not so fast ramsej. Bayern product, cocaine doubtful and recently recovered Paolo Guerrero is a big question mark here. This is one of the most heavily disputed places on the Cup: Denmark vs Perú for the second spot on group C after France. This is simply a match up none can predict and I'm for 2017 unbeaten, formerly mocked and now praised Perú to go through. Besides, your Schalke fanboy Farfán is back on track and looking good.

There's a full back there, Trauco. Check him out too.
Kimmich
Kimmich -- Kimmich
Kimmich with Gloves
tflags

National Flag:
Ecuador

Postby America USA » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:18 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:
America USA wrote:Every World Cup springs us a few surprises and big upsets. That’s why many people are going by past evidence of the same happening. Now imagine if no upsets happen and there are no surprises this time! :lol:

Exactly. As you can see above I expect the two biggest surprises to be Uruguay and Senegal.

I’m actually saying the opposite. What if this World Cup there are no surprises or upsets whatsoever and the teams expected to qualify from the groups go through and the teams expected to make the last four are what everyone seems to be predicting! That would upset a lot of “neutrals” :wink:
America USA
I post all the time

Years of membership

Postby tflags » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:19 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:Taking part in a competition between friends where we have to predict all world cup games, but the twist is we have to predict everything now, so we have to assume who is going to play who in the KO rounds (our predicted score still counts even if the teams are different but obviously it is easier to predict if you guess the teams).

Poland ending up with Japan (not qualifying) with the same points needs a revision imho.

Big fail (again, imho) with Tunisia on 0 points and Panamá with even 1. From experience, maiden teams usually walk out happy just scoring a goal in these tournaments. Much less winning a match. Besides, Tunisia is a lot stronger by far.
Kimmich
Kimmich -- Kimmich
Kimmich with Gloves
tflags

National Flag:
Ecuador

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:36 pm

America USA wrote:
FCBayernMunchen wrote:

I’m actually saying the opposite. What if this World Cup there are no surprises or upsets whatsoever and the teams expected to qualify from the groups go through and the teams expected to make the last four are what everyone seems to be predicting! That would upset a lot of “neutrals” :wink:

Yeah but as you seemed to suggest it's unlikely that will happen. :mrgreen:

Either way I'll be happy, I have a couple of huge multiple bets I played with two free bonus bets I was given and some of the results contradict the ones I've predicted here.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:41 pm

tflags wrote:Poland ending up with Japan (not qualifying) with the same points needs a revision imho.

Big fail (again, imho) with Tunisia on 0 points and Panamá with even 1. From experience, maiden teams usually walk out happy just scoring a goal in these tournaments. Much less winning a match. Besides, Tunisia is a lot stronger by far.

That was what I was initially going for with Panama and must admit I have no idea what Tunisia I like but Panama don't seem to have done too badly in qualifiers whereas Tunisia didn't play particularly good African teams.

There's another thing to consider though, which is the reason why some of my bets contradict the predictions here. The nature of the competition makes you think long term rather than just the result of a particular game (like when you're betting) and so to stand out you need a few reasonable upsets. It's risky but if you get it right you'll have quite an advantage in points over the rest.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:49 pm

tflags wrote:
ramsej84 wrote:Denmark are strong... they will make it out from the group

Not so fast ramsej. Bayern product, cocaine doubtful and recently recovered Paolo Guerrero is a big question mark here. This is one of the most heavily disputed places on the Cup: Denmark vs Perú for the second spot on group C after France. This is simply a match up none can predict and I'm for 2017 unbeaten, formerly mocked and now praised Perú to go through. Besides, your Schalke fanboy Farfán is back on track and looking good.

There's a full back there, Trauco. Check him out too.
I am all for Peru...
I have a soft spot for the country as a whole

ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:50 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:
tflags wrote:Poland ending up with Japan (not qualifying) with the same points needs a revision imho.

That was what I was initially going for with Panama and must admit I have no idea what Tunisia I like but Panama don't seem to have done too badly in qualifiers whereas Tunisia didn't play particularly good African teams.

There's another thing to consider though, which is the reason why some of my bets contradict the predictions here. The nature of the competition makes you think long term rather than just the result of a particular game (like when you're betting) and so to stand out you need a few reasonable upsets. It's risky but if you get it right you'll have quite an advantage in points over the rest.
Tunisia are showing some good performances... they might do a big surprise

ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby tflags » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:52 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:

No, I understand. But upsets for me this Cup are potentially Perú given their form; Switzerland and Iceland. I get it about Panamá, but don't forget they won pretty much only two games last year (one of them vs Trinidad) and their qualification groups is simply A LOT easier than Africa. The US trashed them 4-0 too. I'm just saying if that's your surprise package, might be a double sided one.
Kimmich
Kimmich -- Kimmich
Kimmich with Gloves
tflags

National Flag:
Ecuador

Postby tflags » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:05 pm

World Cup calendar subscription link, by Sky Sports: https://www.google.com/amp/www.skysport ... p-calendar
Kimmich
Kimmich -- Kimmich
Kimmich with Gloves
tflags

National Flag:
Ecuador

PreviousNext

Return to Football Around the World