You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

2018 FIFA World Cup Russia

Discussions about football played outside Europe, or international competitions.

Who do you think will win the 2018 FIFA World Cup?

Poll ended at Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:48 am

Uruguay
No votes
France
41%
Brazil
18%
Belgium
12%
Sweden
No votes
England
6%
Russia
6%
Croatia
18%

Total votes : 17

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia

Postby Fénix » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:02 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:On paper I'd say it should be a Brazil-Croatia final. We'll see.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!! Croatia in the WC final... :P =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ You seem to be more optimistic than me.

I'm still dreaming of reaching a semifinal to have at least a battle for bronze and 3rd place(historic achievement in France 1998). :)

We'll talk about all this after the quarterfinal match against Russia if we progress. :)
Auf geht's ihr Roten!
Fénix

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Croatia

Postby Lukas » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:21 pm

America USA wrote:As soon as I heard James was out I just knew that England would prevail.

I have lost all interest in the World Cup since June 27, 2018 but from now on I’ll be rooting for all the underdogs. Belgium vs Sweden final!

EDIT:
Bayernbazi wrote:This is enough to ALWAYS root against them.Image

If worse does come to worst and it is Brasil vs England in the final then I’ll very reluctantly want Brazil to win. They are ahead of Deutschland anyway but if the English win it we’ll never hear the end of it! The poms still keep gloating about 1966 :evil:

Sounds weird a non-Aussie calling us Poms. Haven't you got your own name? Limeys or something?
Lukas
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby RB624 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:29 pm

I want England or Sweden to win this World Cup. That being said, England really hasn't done anything to show they're a different team than they've ever been. All they've done is win on penalties instead of lose on penalties.

Like I said, I'm pulling for them. But I don't think there's any reason for Lukas, America USA, and Ramsej to start losing sleep yet. They've often fallen at the quarterfinals (2002,2004,2006,2012).

EDIT: Come to think of it, winning on penalties instead of losing on penalties is a huge thing towards showing they're a different team. They had lost their last five penalty shoot-outs.
RB624
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby America USA » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:43 pm

Lukas wrote:Sounds weird a non-Aussie calling us Poms. Haven't you got your own name? Limeys or something?

Seems like the Englishman inside you got upset, eh!?

An Australian friend of mine told me to refer to you guys as Poms to get under your skins, looks like he was right! Anyway doesn’t “limey” also not refer to your lot?
America USA
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby bayern28 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:11 pm

Stumbled across this video last night. I think it perfectly reflects the positive impact that football has all over the planet, as embodied by the World Cup. Where's the craziest place that you guys have met a fellow Bayern fan? Anyone got a photo of a Bayern shirt in a cool location abroad? 

https://youtu.be/5cbg7O0ZzGA

The video is definitely worth checking out.
bayern28
First post

Years of membership

Postby Bayernbazi » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:02 pm

America USA wrote:
Lukas wrote:Sounds weird a non-Aussie calling us Poms. Haven't you got your own name? Limeys or something?

An Australian friend of mine told me to refer to you guys as Poms to get under your skins, looks like he was right! Anyway doesn’t “limey” also not refer to your lot?

Good one - this exchange reminded me about this quick history lesson meme which I saw a couple of days ago which links you 3 together (including that friend)
Bayernbazi
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BayernForum.com fan club: Active member

Postby Lukas » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:34 pm

America USA wrote:

Not at all. Just thought it strange an American using poms. I usually associate it with getting thrashed by the Aussies at cricket, hence the "us" as I actually support the England cricket team, unlike in other sports, as you well know by now.

I reckon it gets under our skin as much as calling them convicts and Crims gets under theirs. I.e. Not in the slightest!

Also the last sentence of your post. Yes that is exactly what I meant. Perhaps I should have put "for us" after "your own name". I know you have to spell things out for Americans but thought you'd realise what I meant :roll:

Happy Independence Day by the way
Lukas
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby America USA » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:54 pm

Lukas wrote:Happy Independence Day by the way

Yes thank you! And I used poms on purpose because you’re the most notable Englishman here and you take Cricket seriously!

BTW, why do you hate the football team but like the Cricket one? Is it because the Cricket team is more English than the football team? 8)
America USA
I'm a post king!

Postby Lukas » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:20 pm

America USA wrote:
Lukas wrote:Happy Independence Day by the way

Yes thank you! And I used poms on purpose because you’re the most notable Englishman here and you take Cricket seriously!

BTW, why do you hate the football team but like the Cricket one? Is it because the Cricket team is more English than the football team? 8)

No worries. Enjoy celebrating the defeat of imperialist British toffs

With regards your question. It's simply a case of who I identify with. Think of a typical English football fan. Arrogant, xenophobic, morons. That's not me. Apart from the members of the clubs in southern England (if you know about Lord's, these people sit in the big old pavilion stand wearing horrible coloured blazers and ties, imperialist toffs is exactly what they are) cricket fans are altogether more respectful and knowledegable. Yes we like banter with the Aussies but it's all in good humour and in no way hateful or abusive. I play cricket at local league level and just feel a greater attachment to English cricket than I do with English football.
Lukas
I'm a post king!

Postby ramsej84 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:23 pm

Words of praise from Brits towards the host Nation...

The media demonizing Russia served for nothing

https://twitter.com/RTSportNews/status/ ... 87360?s=19

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:35 pm

Ooops
https://youtu.be/uxCSWctGYGo

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

National Flag:
Malta

Postby RB624 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:12 am

Remember the Croat hooligans from Euro 2016, who wanted to sabotage their own national team due to their disgust with the federation? Are they a threat anymore?

And it's also worth mentioning that I haven't seen any pitch invasions, like were so common in Brazil 2014, either.

A lot of people don't like that Russia is hosting the World Cup, but I'm sure their police and their jails and much scarier than France's and Brazil's.
RB624
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby lau03143 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:33 am

I'd imagine Brazilian jails aren't that comfortable!
RB624 wrote:Remember the Croat hooligans from Euro 2016, who wanted to sabotage their own national team due to their disgust with the federation? Are they a threat anymore?

And it's also worth mentioning that I haven't seen any pitch invasions, like were so common in Brazil 2014, either.

A lot of people don't like that Russia is hosting the World Cup, but I'm sure their police and their jails and much scarier than France's and Brazil's.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
To all those, Over the years,
who have come to
Munich as strangers
and left as good friends.
Zum Wohl!
lau03143
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
Scotland
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby RB624 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:24 pm

RB624 wrote:Remember the Croat hooligans from Euro 2016, who wanted to sabotage their own national team due to their disgust with the federation? Are they a threat anymore?

lau03143 wrote:I'd imagine Brazilian jails aren't that comfortable!
Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

At Brazil 2014, pitch invaders were given a $100 fine and didn't have to spend any time in jail as long as they paid it immediately.
RB624
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Postby America USA » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:49 pm

Now that we’ve reached the deciding stages of the World Cup, Can we please have a new poll about who’s winning the competition? The existing poll is meaningless now and it can be seen in how so many users have changed their votes to option A.
America USA
I'm a post king!

PreviousNext

Return to Football Around the World