You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

2018 FIFA World Cup Russia

Discussions about football played outside Europe, or international competitions.

Who do you think will win the 2018 FIFA World Cup?

Poll ended at Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:48 am

Uruguay
No votes
France
41%
Brazil
18%
Belgium
12%
Sweden
No votes
England
6%
Russia
6%
Croatia
18%

Total votes : 17

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia

Postby MaCk0y » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:03 pm

aterford wrote:That was a HECTIC ending there!

Unless I'm missing something, pretty sure it went down as follows...
Spain loses 1-2 and Portugal wins 1-0 means Portugal #1 and Spain #2.
Then Spain levels but is ruled out for offside...during VAR review, Iran scores to draw Portugal which sees them leapfrog Spain into 2nd place - meaning Spain are out, Portugal 1st.
Then...VAR overturns call. Goal is given to Spain, 2-2 draw - sees Spain jump back ahead of Iran AND ahead of Portugal into first place.
So in the span of ~3 minutes they went from 2nd place in group, to eliminated for placing 3rd, to 1st place - now playing Russia instead of Uruguay it seems

Even if Spain lost 2-1, they would still progress with more goals scored. Iran had to win.
MaCk0y
Assistant Admin

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby aterford » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:06 pm

#12 wrote:
swarkzero wrote:If Germany manages to top the group,they have a clear way to the final.

How on earth should that happen? Becoming runners up is the best we can hope for...

Still theoretically possible. a 1-0 win for Germany and Sweden would see Germany top group AFAIK...ahead of that, I'm pretty sure if both teams win (Germany and Sweden), so long as Germany wins by a greater margin than Sweden they should top group (i.e. a 3-1 win for Germany and a 2-1 win for Sweden would see Germany first, 4-2 and 3-2, etc)
aterford
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby archymen » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:17 pm

If Germany win 1:0 and Sweden win 1:0, then all 3 teams have 6 points and GF 3 / GA 2

In this case 1st, 2nd and 3rd place will be decided by yellow/red cards. Cards so far:

Germany - 2 yellow and 1 secondary yellow/red
Mexico - 2 yellow
Sweden - 3 yellow

So it means -1 point for each yellow card, -3 points for indirect red card, -4 for a direct red card AAAANNNDDD -5 for a yellow followed by a direct red card.
archymen
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membershipYears of membership

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:18 pm

MaCk0y wrote:
aterford wrote:That was a HECTIC ending there!

Unless I'm missing something, pretty sure it went down as follows...
Spain loses 1-2 and Portugal wins 1-0 means Portugal #1 and Spain #2.
Then Spain levels but is ruled out for offside...during VAR review, Iran scores to draw Portugal which sees them leapfrog Spain into 2nd place - meaning Spain are out, Portugal 1st.
Then...VAR overturns call. Goal is given to Spain, 2-2 draw - sees Spain jump back ahead of Iran AND ahead of Portugal into first place.
So in the span of ~3 minutes they went from 2nd place in group, to eliminated for placing 3rd, to 1st place - now playing Russia instead of Uruguay it seems

Even if Spain lost 2-1, they would still progress with more goals scored. Iran had to win.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the Spain decision happened before Iran scored.
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby aterford » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:33 pm

archymen wrote:If Germany win 1:0 and Sweden win 1:0, then all 3 teams have 6 points and GF 3 / GA 2

In this case 1st, 2nd and 3rd place will be decided by yellow/red cards. Cards so far:

Germany - 2 yellow and 1 secondary yellow/red
Mexico - 2 yellow
Sweden - 3 yellow

So it means -1 point for each yellow card, -3 points for indirect red card, -4 for a direct red card AAAANNNDDD -5 for a yellow followed by a direct red card.

Cards/"Fair play" is 7th tiebreaker. It would be determined before that.

Theoretically, both Germany and Sweden win 1-0.

1. Points - all three of Germany, Mexico, and Sweden would be level on 6 pts.
2. Overall goal differential - all three would have same GD of +1
3. Overall goals scored - all three level at 3 scored
4. Points obtained in group matches between teams tied - Germany has 3pts from tied teams (0 from Mexico, 3 from Sweden, 3 from S. Korea not considered); Sweden has 3pts (0 from Germany, 3 from Mexico); Mexico has 3pts (3 from Germany, 0 from Sweden)
5. Goal differential in matches between teams tied - Germany -1 vs Mexico and +1 vs Sweden; Mexico +1 vs Germany and -1 vs Sweden; Sweden -1 vs Germany and +1 vs Mexico
6. Goals scored in matches between tied teams - here would be first determining factor. In matches between Sweden/Germany/Mexico, Germany has 2 goals vs Sweden; Mexico has 1 goal vs Germany, and Sweden has 1 vs Germany and 1 vs Mexico (again, this is all assuming 1-0 for both Germany and Sweden). In this case, Mexico would 'lose' this tiebreaker and be given 3rd place. Germany and Sweden would advance.
From here, tiebreakers would then reset from the top, with only Germany and Sweden considered. Tiebreakers 1-3 would still be the same, but as Germany beat Sweden head-to-head, they would be given the top spot
aterford
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Outis » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:36 pm

Didn't Quaresma deserve a red? His face was pure agression...
And VAR in this game was used to waste Iran's time apparently :mrgreen:
Outis
Woah, this feels cool!

Years of membership

National Flag:
Romania

Postby YlonenXabi » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:49 pm

If Germany win 1-0, what needs to happen for them to be eliminated?

I read that if Germany win 2-0 they will qualify regardless of what happens in the Mexico vs Sweden game, but from what aterford posted it seems that even a 1-0 win would be enough?
I TRUST IN ARJEN ROBBEN
YlonenXabi
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Spain

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:04 am

YlonenXabi wrote:If Germany win 1-0, what needs to happen for them to be eliminated?

I read that if Germany win 2-0 they will qualify regardless of what happens in the Mexico vs Sweden game, but from what aterford posted it seems that even a 1-0 win would be enough?

I think this is in fact correct.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby aterford » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:50 am

YlonenXabi wrote:If Germany win 1-0, what needs to happen for them to be eliminated?

I haven't thought it out much, so just putting it down as I go, but....

Assuming Germany wins 1-0...
Then they will be on 6 pts.
Depending on how Mexico-Sweden goes, we could see Mexico end up with 6, 7, or 9, and Sweden could finish with 3, 4, or 6. So any result that leads to Sweden winning will go to tiebreakers.

Basically, the short of it is this.
- A win guarantees Germany advance regardless of the result of the Mexico-Sweden game.
- If Mexico wins and Germany wins, Mexico wins group with 9 and Germany finishes 2nd with 6; Sweden 3 and S. Korea 0.
- If Sweden wins and Germany wins, all three teams are level on 6 pts and we go to the previously mentioned tiebreakers. If the Sweden match ends 1-0 in favor of Sweden, the above described scenario (my previous post) would be what would happen here. However, since the first tiebreaker after points is goal differential AND they're all level on GD with two 1-0 wins -- a 1-0 win for Germany and any other margin of victory serves to improve Sweden's goal differential and damage Mexico's. So Sweden can win by any margin and Germany will still advance due to this. For example, a 3-0 Sweden win would put Sweden at +3, Germany at +1, and Mexico at -1. 4-0 makes it +4 Sweden, -2 Mexico - and so on.

- So, knowing a win is enough to guarantee Germany is through, the next issue is placement - first or second.
In this regard, any identical margin of victory (both win 2-0, both win 3-1, etc) sees Germany top the group. This is for two reasons: first off, they're tied on Goal differential ahead of this match. So any identical result will see them maintain the same goal differentials.
At this point, it would again go through tiebreakers. In this scenario (identical winning results) we would have to go through to tiebreaker 4 - head to head. With identical winning scorelines, Germany takes first due to 3pts claimed vs Sweden whereas Sweden earned 0 pts vs Germany.

And so it follows: an identical margin of victory or any winning match in which Germany's margin of victory is greater than Sweden's will see Germany top the group. If both teams win but Sweden wins by a greater margin than Germany, Sweden will top the group, but Germany are still through.
aterford
I'm a post king!

Postby MaCk0y » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:49 am

Watch the Russian no.4 player. He illegally pushes the 2 Uruguayan players out of the way, helping Suarez in the process. If he stayed there, he would probably have blocked the shot.

MaCk0y
Assistant Admin

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby ramsej84 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:51 am

He either did that to help the Keeper's view or else he was in the bag!

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:49 am

World Cup breaks record for most penalties awarded
Ronaldo and Messi among players who missed from the spot [source]

the EGYPT Gk I told you about became the oldest player ever... (also saved a penalty)
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MaCk0y » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:45 pm

I think the reason behind the record breaking penalties in this world cup is that players with no experience playing with VAR, still need to adapt to it and thus still risk fouling in the penalty area thinking they will get away with it.
MaCk0y
Assistant Admin

2018 FIFA World Cup Russia

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:49 pm

Wtf @ the ref in Denmark-France. Very good counterattack stopped by a foul and he whistled for half time before letting France take the free kick. Incredibly unfair.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby aterford » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:53 pm

Probably the most boring match I've watched thus far lol
aterford
I'm a post king!

PreviousNext

Return to Football Around the World