You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

David Alaba

Rumours and news about the transfer market. Who are FC Bayern attempting to sign? Who's going to leave? Find it all here.

Re: David Alaba

Postby aterford » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:39 pm

I would say somewhere around the same timeline. For me he peaked in 14/15, Pep's second season, where for me he really looked like the best fullback in the world (well, left anyways)....But after that he regressed a good bit, to the point where under Ancelotti I wasn't sure if he was even better than Bernat (who kept improving and putting in good shifts). Now, he has improved a bit again, but I don't think he's been able to reach the same level he did in 2014, 2015 yet again.
Still, certainly one of the best left backs out there, and there are few players I would consider an improvement (and fewer still who are realistically accessible), but it is kinda a bummer to see the way his trajectory has went so far.
aterford
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby gumboduncan » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:44 pm

I think it's fair to say that Alaba is a top 5 left back in today's game (IMO the second best after Marcelo). Sure his game hasn't improved much over the last two or three season. That doesn't mean he's expandable for Bayern. The full back positions are one of the hardest positions to fill. IMO Alaba has had a great career at Bayern. I hope he'll continue for years to come and hopefully finish his career here.

This interview, IMO, is just a casual talk about him potentially leaving for a new challenge. Nothing to worry about IMO. He has said it before. If he's happy and playing at a high level at Bayern, I can't see him or the Bayern board wanting to end their relationship.
In Kalle I trust
gumboduncan
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membership

National Flag:
Iceland

Postby Joshgod » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:24 pm

I can agree that he hasn't been improving, he was terrific during the treble and with Pep ( I think the first season in which he even played as a center-back and did well) but since then not only he isn't getting any better but he has regressed. Of course, this has to do with Ribery's aging as well. Those two combined were one of the best duos in football - IMO - and when King Franck was a beast, so was David.
Joshgod
Getting the hang of it

Postby aterford » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:42 pm

Joshgod wrote:I can agree that he hasn't been improving, he was terrific during the treble and with Pep ( I think the first season in which he even played as a center-back and did well) but since then not only he isn't getting any better but he has regressed. Of course, this has to do with Ribery's aging as well. Those two combined were one of the best duos in football - IMO - and when King Franck was a beast, so was David.

This is a good point, too...have to wonder if Ribery's decline (and thus decline in their linkage) has hurt Alaba in a way as well
aterford
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby IsiahRashad » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:21 am

According to Bild, David Alaba thinks about leaving Bayern either this summer or in 2019. Alaba's contract runs out in 2021 - He tends for a move to Spain with Real Madrid and Barcelona reportedly interested.

However, Bild claims there is also a possiblity that Alaba would stay at Bayern in the long term to become a leader as he would be tempted by the prospect of being captain or vice captain in the future.

Send via carrier pigeon.
IsiahRashad
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Bulgaria

Postby MUTU » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:27 am

IsiahRashad wrote:According to Bild, David Alaba thinks about leaving Bayern either this summer or in 2019. Alaba's contract runs out in 2021 - He tends for a move to Spain with Real Madrid and Barcelona reportedly interested.

However, Bild claims there is also a possiblity that Alaba would stay at Bayern in the long term to become a leader as he would be tempted by the prospect of being captain or vice captain in the future.

Send via carrier pigeon.

If he wants to be captain or vice captain in the future he should probably leave. There's just too many guys showing leadership skills above him, in my opinion. Neuer, Mueller, Hummels, Boateng and Kimmich seem more captain material to me.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:57 am

MUTU wrote:
IsiahRashad wrote:According to Bild, David Alaba thinks about leaving Bayern either this summer or in 2019. Alaba's contract runs out in 2021 - He tends for a move to Spain with Real Madrid and Barcelona reportedly interested.

Send via carrier pigeon.

If he wants to be captain or vice captain in the future he should probably leave. There's just too many guys showing leadership skills above him, in my opinion. Neuer, Mueller, Hummels, Boateng and Kimmich seem more captain material to me.

if he wants to leave we already have a replacement Philipp Max FCA
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:59 am

MUTU wrote:

Send via carrier pigeon.

I don't know I must be in a minority but I really don't see him as a leader...
ramsej84

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MoFattal » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:06 am

You can see how much Alaba's progress has stagnated over the past 2-3 years to the point that his transfer talk is no longer considered blasphemy :D

Nonetheless, David has always been a key figure in our squad. His performances has been average as of the past 2-3 years, but this season he has shown up much better under Jupp. The potential is definitely still there. Alaba has suffered from the radical decline of Ribery, and from the frequent position switching under Pep. However, with a bit of stability and continuing on the current path, he is going to be back to his best, and maybe even better. It's just a matter of time. In addition to that, he is still a top 5 best LB in the world, even in his poor form. There are no viable alternative out there to fill in this spot and maintain it for the long-term. Alaba must be Bayern's long-term LB.
MoFattal
2011/12 Prediction Game Winner

National Flag:
Lebanon

Postby bbenno » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:38 am

ramsej84 wrote:
MUTU wrote:

Send via carrier pigeon.

I don't know I must be in a minority but I really don't see him as a leader...

2-3 years ago I thought he would grow into possibly becoming a captain or vice-captain, but now, I don’t see it.
Hes not the leader type. As MUTU point out there are others far ahead of him leadership wise. But that doesn’t mean he still can’t develop into a captain candidate in 2-3 years time. But then he seriously need to start develop his leadership skills.
That being said, I really hope he stays. He’s a WC left back! But captain material? Not within the near future...
bbenno
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Denmark

Postby MUTU » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:59 pm

Yes, I'd like him to stay, but no way should we promise him leadership roles he doesn't deserve just to keep him. No player is bigger than the club. Yes, we won't be able to replace him unless we clone a mirror image of Kimmich. But captaincy is earned not demanded. So if these rumours are true (I personally doubt them), he should start looking for a new club.
MUTU

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:42 pm

MUTU wrote:Yes, I'd like him to stay, but no way should we promise him leadership roles he doesn't deserve just to keep him. No player is bigger than the club. Yes, we won't be able to replace him unless we clone a mirror image of Kimmich. But captaincy is earned not demanded. So if these rumours are true (I personally doubt them), he should start looking for a new club.
What do you think about that guy I mentioned from FCA?
Hector or we have the guy we sent to Bremen...

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:47 pm

ramsej84 wrote:
MUTU wrote:Yes, I'd like him to stay, but no way should we promise him leadership roles he doesn't deserve just to keep him. No player is bigger than the club. Yes, we won't be able to replace him unless we clone a mirror image of Kimmich. But captaincy is earned not demanded. So if these rumours are true (I personally doubt them), he should start looking for a new club.
What do you think about that guy I mentioned from FCA?
Hector or we have the guy we sent to Bremen...

I'd rather not start thinking about alternatives, thank you very much. However, I have to say I have a soft spot for Hector. I don't think a left back ever made me celebrate so much.

MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby aterford » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:40 pm

The trouble that I think Alaba may find is this:
1. He won't start over Marcelo at Real Madrid and they REALLY won't be able to promise him a spot in their midfield
2. He won't get into Barca's midfield and TBH probably wouldn't start over Alba either.
Plus, IMO he's been slumping for about ~2 years now (at best, stagnating and not improving, until about a month ago...) so I don't think there's very much room for him to work with there.
When a player hasn't progressed in ~2 years, has a contract with three years left, and prefers to move to perhaps the two biggest clubs in the world (who are already quite happy with his position)....there's just not a lot of leverage.
Don't get me wrong, Alaba is still a great player, and very young, so there's more than enough time to get on track, but sadly if he were to demand a move (still don't know why we'd accept) I don't think he's quite as irreplaceable as we once thought. I would feel perfectly confident with Bernat being our starting LB, or as mentioned guys like Max or Hector.

All that being said: I think it's more likely we sell Lewandowski this summer than Alaba. I wonder if perhaps he is just pushing for a pay raise (again not much leverage) or - this is just speculation - trying to get the club to extend his best friend Ribery.
aterford
I'm a post king!

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:51 pm

Can Alaba replace Ribery as our LW?

ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

PreviousNext

Return to Bayern Transfer Rumours & News