You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Arjen Robben

Rumours and news about the transfer market. Who are FC Bayern attempting to sign? Who's going to leave? Find it all here.

Do you think Arjen Robben's contract should be extended?

Yes, extend him ASAP.
33%
Let's wait and see how well he fares.
19%
No, time for him to leave or retire.
48%

Total votes : 21

Re: Arjen Robben

Postby #12 » Fri May 11, 2018 4:11 pm

MUTU wrote:
#12 wrote:I agree with most of what you wrote... Yet I don’t think that we even deserved to still stand a chance in last year's second leg...

We can never know. The referee was brutal. If he had done his job well, Casemiro would have been sent off and Vidal would have been more cautious as a result. From then on it'd have been impossible to say with certainty who'd have progressed, but I would have fancied our chances against 10 men in that match.

#12 wrote:Dominating doesn’t necessarily mean being the better team... We dominated Wolfsburg when we lost 4–1... We dominated at Atlético... Barca dominated against Roma...

I'm not going to tell you what your definition of the 'better team' should be, because everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, yet here's mine:
Dominated opponent + won => Well-deserved victory
Dominated opponent + draw => Deserved to win
Dominated opponent + lost => Undeserved, unlucky loss.
Got dominated + lost => Well-deserved loss
Got dominated + draw => Deserved to lose.
Got dominated + won => Very lucky victory.

#12 wrote:I even agree that we put up a good display this year... But if we’re back to being shit next year you people will still point to this year and how we made the semifinals, ignoring that it'll then be two coaches that couldn’t get out what ONE (i.e. Jupp) got out of them - overperformance...

Look, if we are 'back to being shit', which I last remember around a decade ago, then I already said I would agree with you that we're not a top team anymore. But you've been saying it all throughout this season (and the last), despite that you "agree that we put up a good display this year".

And was I wrong last year?
In the end, it is about results... What good does that good display do us when we see RM Winning the entirety of our CL titles within two years?
Wherever you put us, top team, favorites for relegation, moon league: we are clearly going downhill... Denying that means being blind... And we are doing squat to improve, we magically hope that players on the wrong side of 30 can reproduce their former performances and stay injury free - players that play in the most physically and wear and tear demanding position in this game... And we've not even talked about speed yet... We lose time to catch up every year... So if you don’t remember that decade too well I fear you're going to know what it feels like sooner than both of us care for...
Kovac OUT!!!
Chief Critic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby MUTU » Fri May 11, 2018 4:16 pm

#12 wrote:Wherever you put us, top team, favorites for relegation, moon league: we are clearly going downhill... Denying that means being blind...

No, that's not right. That's a blatant lie; I don't even accept it as an "opinion". A premise for "going downhill" is that current results are inferior to past results.

Last season, we were eliminated in the QFs and got eliminated in the Pokal. This season we've been clearly superior to last season. With some luck, we'd even have made the final against Liverpool where we'd have been favourites to win the treble.

I'd rate this season as the closest we've ever been to the treble without actually winning it. Even more so than 1998/99 IMHO.

There simply hasn't been a better season for our club apart from 2012/13, and it's impressive when one considers we (virtually) didn't even have a coach for months into the season.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby #12 » Fri May 11, 2018 4:41 pm

So all of a sudden results matter? ;)
Kovac OUT!!!
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri May 11, 2018 5:16 pm

MUTU wrote:Could it possibly be your perception?

Average WhoScored ratings in the Bundesliga:
James (7.68)
Lewandowski (7.52)
Vidal (7.49)
Dorsch (7.45) <--- technically, 90 minutes is not enough to list him IMO
Thiago (7.40)
Mueller (7.32)
Robben (7.31)

5 goals and 5 assists in 1518 minutes, which puts him 4th in the top assisters and 6th highest scorer (of the scorers above him only Wagner and Vidal have played fewer minutes)

At the start of the season, Robben was decent. I would have been happy to extend him (as a backup), but I thought Ribery needed to go.

This changed around March. Robben started performing badly and Ribery improved a lot.
Kovac OUT!!!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby manuelbavarian » Fri May 11, 2018 5:17 pm

Now that Robben, Ribery and Rafinha have extended their contracts, we need to see the next season to see how it will end (another elimination for Spaniards and winning the Bundesliga :o ) or we can jump to 19/20 and see if Rummenigge and Hoeness will do the right job and let the old wingers go?
manuelbavarian
Getting the hang of it

Years of membership

Postby #12 » Fri May 11, 2018 5:22 pm

manuelbavarian wrote:Now that Robben, Ribery and Rafinha have extended their contracts, we need to see the next season to see how it will end (another elimination for Spaniards and winning the Bundesliga :o ) or we can jump to 19/20 and see if Rummenigge and Hoeness will do the right job and let the old wingers go?

Let’s bring back Schweini... And Lahm! Oh and Tymo and Gustavo... Pizarro is also a free agent soon...
Kovac OUT!!!
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

Postby MUTU » Fri May 11, 2018 5:26 pm

#12 wrote:So all of a sudden results matter? ;)

You talked about decline. Of course I don't know what metric to use other than our performance in competition. Anyway your total avoidance of the subject is something you generally accuse ramsej84. Hope the wall isn't too dirty and you're not wearing white :P
MUTU

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby manuelbavarian » Fri May 11, 2018 5:33 pm

#12 wrote:
manuelbavarian wrote:Now that Robben, Ribery and Rafinha have extended their contracts, we need to see the next season to see how it will end (another elimination for Spaniards and winning the Bundesliga :o ) or we can jump to 19/20 and see if Rummenigge and Hoeness will do the right job and let the old wingers go?

Let’s bring back Schweini... And Lahm! Oh and Tymo and Gustavo... Pizarro is also a free agent soon...

I really think that the bayern fans and our board would love that idea. I mean, they are still stuck in the last ucl title. It's really hard to the bayern fans accept that this generation won't will win another UCL.
manuelbavarian
Getting the hang of it

Years of membership

Postby #12 » Fri May 11, 2018 9:27 pm

MUTU wrote:

You talked about decline. Of course I don't know what metric to use other than our performance in competition. Anyway your total avoidance of the subject is something you generally accuse ramsej84. Hope the wall isn't too dirty and you're not wearing white :P

I'm not avoiding anything... Speaks volumes though that both these seasons were with Heynckes...
Kovac OUT!!!
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

Postby MUTU » Sat May 12, 2018 6:49 am

#12 wrote:
MUTU wrote:

I'm not avoiding anything... Speaks volumes though that both these seasons were with Heynckes...
Both what? I am comparing this season to last season. If we are in decline, as you say, you would believe we did better last season, in which case you'd be either bonkers or trolling ;)
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby huknife » Sat May 12, 2018 9:48 am

I've been the biggest advocate for Robben for the past years, but right now, it looks like lack of faith in a new generation. This is just lazy.
huknife
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Achilles » Sat May 12, 2018 10:14 am

The worst season of his Bayern career and he got a renewal at his 35. I'm speechless with our board...
Mia san mia
Achilles
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby #12 » Sat May 12, 2018 10:33 am

MUTU wrote:
#12 wrote:
MUTU wrote:[quote="#12"]So all of a sudden results matter? ;)

Both what? I am comparing this season to last season. If we are in decline, as you say, you would believe we did better last season, in which case you'd be either bonkers or trolling ;)[/quote]

I was referring to another post where you stated this was our best season except 2013...
And just because we did better this year doesn’t mean we’re not in decline... We were already then, no we have had a coach that could still get something out of them - doesn’t mean that this interim high is gonna last...

Other clubs are overtaking, fast! It’s ridiculous we only got 1 CL out of this generation... And I stand by my prediction: We're not gonna see another one before 10 years are over...
Kovac OUT!!!
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

Postby MUTU » Sat May 12, 2018 3:10 pm

#12 wrote:I was referring to another post where you stated this was our best season except 2013...
And just because we did better this year doesn’t mean we’re not in decline... We were already then, no we have had a coach that could still get something out of them - doesn’t mean that this interim high is gonna last...

Other clubs are overtaking, fast! It’s ridiculous we only got 1 CL out of this generation... And I stand by my prediction: We're not gonna see another one before 10 years are over...

Again, we're not in decline. I rate this as the second best season in Bayern's history, performances-wise. Compared to last season, I'd say we're on a meteoric rise!
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby bastos80 » Sat May 12, 2018 3:14 pm

MUTU wrote:
#12 wrote:I was referring to another post where you stated this was our best season except 2013...

Again, we're not in decline. I rate this as the second best season in Bayern's history, performances-wise. Compared to last season, I'd say we're on a meteoric rise!

That's not because Robben and Ribéry, that's because of mainly Jupp Heynckes and other players like James & Kimmich have stepped up.
If we actually had good alternatives to Robbery/Müller, we'd win the treble again.
Unless not reaching your full potential is enough for you and you're fine with seeing the likes of Thiago, Kimmmich etc. waste their time trying to win a CL.
Sané ------- Lewandowski ----- Gnabry
----------- Thiago ---- Havertz --------
------------------ Rodrigo ---------------
Alaba -- Hernández - Süle -- Kimmich
------------------- Neuer ----------------
bastos80
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

PreviousNext

Return to Bayern Transfer Rumours & News