You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Sandro Wagner

Discussions about the former / present players & staff, and their personal life. Was a player fined for speeding? Did a former player become a coach? Find it all here.

Re: Sandro Wagner

Postby MUTU » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:02 pm

Jorge wrote:
longeleven wrote:For me, bench in Bayern will give him higher chance than in Hoff.
Wagner will have chances to prove himself in champions league, score important goals, playing with other teammate like Kimmich Hummels everyweeks.
At this point, Hoff only can offer him minutes, which is not really crucial to Wagner at this time of his career

At the same time, Wagner's chances to make the 23 WC roster are very slim, if you subtract the 3 spots for goalkeepers there are only 20 places left and I consider these 20 players to be ahead of him:
Hummels, Boateng, Mustafi, Rudiger, Sule, Kimmich, Hector, Kroos, Khedira, Gundogan, Ozil, Muller, Sane, Rudy, Goretzka, Werner, Stindl, Draxler, Brandt, Plattenhardt,

Who will you remove from the list to make room for Wagner?

Plus you still have Can, Ginter, Gotze, 3 players that Löw likes not on the list. Halstenberg will come back into the mix if Hector does not recover from his serious ankle injury and there is always the possibility of Reus recovering and if fit there is no way he will be left out considering not only his quality but also that he is a sentimental favorite to represent Germany at a World Cup.

The more I look at it, the less I see room for Wagner, or even the need.

Ehhh I don't know. You're almost sorting my quality not by need. I find it very possible by Loew, but I still hold out hope that Germany will have more than one striker in the squad. You have to remember that Werner is prone to mysterious injuries too.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby RedQueen » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:09 pm

Jorge wrote:At the same time, Wagner's chances to make the 23 WC roster are very slim, if you subtract the 3 spots for goalkeepers there are only 20 places left and I consider these 20 players to be ahead of him:
Hummels, Boateng, Mustafi, Rudiger, Sule, Kimmich, Hector, Kroos, Khedira, Gundogan, Ozil, Muller, Sane, Rudy, Goretzka, Werner, Stindl, Draxler, Brandt, Plattenhardt,

Plus you still have Can, Ginter, Gotze, 3 players that Löw likes not on the list. Halstenberg will come back into the mix if Hector does not recover from his serious ankle injury and there is always the possibility of Reus recovering and if fit there is no way he will be left out considering not only his quality but also that he is a sentimental favorite to represent Germany at a World Cup.

The more I look at it, the less I see room for Wagner, or even the need.

I don't think Löw will take five CBs with him. I don't think Brandt will make it, either (certainly not if Reus comes back). I think Wagner will be in over Gomez. But I still have one player too much in my hypothetical squad.
"Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!" - Red Queen, Alice - Through the Looking-Glass
RedQueen
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby America USA » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:10 pm

I can see five Central defenders being picked, given Löw’s preference to field a back three from time to time. Also as I said in the National Team discussion thread, Mustafi is pretty decent in the middle of a Back three.

I think the CF’s will be Werner and Gomez or Wagner. Will be interesting to see if Stindl gets picked because he and Thomas are identical players.
America USA
I'm a post king!

Years of membership

Postby Jorge » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:25 pm

MUTU wrote:Ehhh I don't know. You're almost sorting my quality not by need. I find it very possible by Loew, but I still hold out hope that Germany will have more than one striker in the squad. You have to remember that Werner is prone to mysterious injuries too.

No, I do take need into consideration. With a fit Werner, Wagner is surplus. With Werner's speed on the center and Germany's wing play the target man role that Wagner has, will be taken more effectively by players like Muller, Stindl or Draxler, in the case of Muller and Stindl because they excel at running to the empty spaces, in the case of Muller and Draxler because they are good on the air to meet the crosses from the wings, as a second striker, probably better than Wagner as a single striker.

You are right though that if there are doubts that Werner can get injured they will play it safe and will take Wagner but as you said before, Wagner is Jancker 2.0 and if you remember Jancker's contributions to Germany he scored just 3 goals in 4 years (excluding the low profile friendlies that Germany played at the time when he scored more often).

I actually think that Germany was able to make it to the final in WC 2002 because Jancker got injured in the Group stage vs Cameroon and with Klose - Neuville partnership up front there was a more dynamic and unpredictable attack. With Klose as part of the the current Germany coaching staff I hope he remembers how it goes to advice Low.

As for 5 central defenders on the list, I am almost sure that it will be case due to lack of options for fullbacks, for a reason Low has been trying in almost every recent game 3 on the back with wingbacks. Plus, Rudiger and Mustafi can play fullback if tournament needs require switching back to a traditional back 4 system.
Jorge
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Åland Islands

Postby Pelin » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:45 pm

As long as Gomes is fit, who is Löw's favourite, Wagner will be third choice even if he doesn't move to Bayern.
Pelin
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membership

Postby America USA » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:30 pm

^ I don’t think it is that simple. I remember Gomez had the chance to finish off Italy in the QF last year but he missed.

It’s gonna come down to form between Gomez vs Wagner. That’s why I find it hard to believe that Wagner would come to be a bench player at Bayern when his direct competition would be playing regularly. And let’s be honest most of us would pick Gomez at his best over Wagner at his best.
America USA
I'm a post king!

Years of membership

Postby MUTU » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:13 pm

Hoffenheim's elimination from the Europa League probably boosts Bayern's chances of signing him in January.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby YlonenXabi » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:23 pm

Jorge wrote:At the same time, Wagner's chances to make the 23 WC roster are very slim, if you subtract the 3 spots for goalkeepers there are only 20 places left and I consider these 20 players to be ahead of him:

Plus you still have Can, Ginter, Gotze, 3 players that Löw likes not on the list.

Have you considered injuries?

I'm ready to bet my house on any of those players not being fit for the World Cup. Even more than one. Probably even Wagner himself if he ends up signing for us :lol:
YlonenXabi
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Jorge » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:10 pm

YlonenXabi wrote: Have you considered injuries?

I'm ready to bet my house on any of those players not being fit for the World Cup. Even more than one. Probably even Wagner himself if he ends up signing for us :lol:

True, everything is hypothetical.

In just a few days Germany will know its opponents in the Group stage and there will be friendlies arranged in the next 6 months based on similarities and players like Wagner will be tested in different scenarios. I am convinced that he will make a 30 or 25 men roster but if everyone is fit and players like Gotze continue regaining their shape while the younger ones keep growing Wagner's chances decrease.

If Germany is 0:1 down in the 80th min. against a top team in the QF or SF of the WC and you have one substitute left and Wagner and Gotze are on the bench: who do think Löw will put on the field those 10 minutes? The answer to this question decides who takes that 20th spot in the roster for outfield players.
Jorge
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Åland Islands

Postby Jorge » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:25 pm

Plus, everyone is talking like Sandro Wagner is on fire scoring goals for Hoffenheim right now. I do not know how many of you have watched their games, I have watched some minutes and for the most part I do not see what others are excited about.

Statistically, players like Brandt and Stindl have similar numbers (one goal every 3 or 4 games) and their overall contribution to their teams is significantly more.

Now you can say that Wagner is a striker and many of the others aren't, well Emile Heskey was the the main striker that England had for a decade and you all know how that went.
Jorge
I post all the time

National Flag:
Åland Islands

Postby YlonenXabi » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:27 pm

I'm not excited about him. I don't like him at all

But I prefer Wagner rather than no one
YlonenXabi

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Spain

Postby ramsej84 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:53 pm

YlonenXabi wrote:I'm not excited about him. I don't like him at all

But I prefer Wagner rather than no one
Beggars can't be choosers...
IMO we should have gone for Llorente , I think he was free agent...

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby IsiahRashad » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:11 pm

Hasan Salihamidzic on Sandro Wagner: "The fact is that I have had very good talks with Hoffenheim sporting director Rosen - and there will be more talks soon. What Uli said, I will just leave it that way and won't comment"
IsiahRashad
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Bulgaria

Postby IsiahRashad » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:15 pm

Welcome home,Sandro !

Can't see tweet? Click here!
IsiahRashad
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Bulgaria

Postby FCB12Forever » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:31 am

Recently his performance at Hoffe was shockingly bad, but he did have some good time earlier. Let's hope he was just hit by nostalgia and he will be fine as soon as the Hinrunde starts.
FCB12Forever
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membership

PreviousNext

Return to Bayern Player & Staff Discussion