You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Robert Lewandowski

Discussions about the former / present players & staff, and their personal life. Was a player fined for speeding? Did a former player become a coach? Find it all here.

Re: Robert Lewandowski

Postby YlonenXabi » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:35 am

But he sucks, he is a choker !!! He can only score in BL because it's a shitty league but in CL he is invisible:

Champions League Top Goal Scorers

1- Cristiano Ronaldo 126 goals
2- Messi 112
3- Benzema 71
4- Raul 60
5- Van Nistelrooy 56
6- Lewandowski 54
7- Henry 50
8- Di Stefano 49
9- Shevchenko 48
10- Ibrahimovic 48

:wink:
YlonenXabi
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Spain
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member

Postby #12 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:03 pm

YlonenXabi wrote:But he sucks, he is a choker !!! He can only score in BL because it's a shitty league but in CL he is invisible:

Champions League Top Goal Scorers

1- Cristiano Ronaldo 126 goals
2- Messi 112
3- Benzema 71
4- Raul 60
5- Van Nistelrooy 56
6- Lewandowski 54
7- Henry 50
8- Di Stefano 49
9- Shevchenko 48
10- Ibrahimovic 48

:wink:

Now list how many he did in KOs against decent opposition...
Summer 2020: Hasan, show us your weakness!!
Chief Critic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby MUTU » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:17 pm

YlonenXabi, I love you mate, but you're not reasoning this out well. The definition of a choker is someone who performs below his relative self in the really tough matches. And by tough matches, we don't mean any Champions League match but the do-or-die matches against really good teams. If you think Lewandowski did well in such matches, then it's an offence at his normal scoring output, because he very clearly scores less against tough opponents.

These are the tough CL matches I am talking about:
2014/15: 180 minutes against Barcelona, 1 goal 0 assists.
2015/16: 210 minutes against Juventus, 1 goal 0 assists & 180 minutes against Atletico, 1 goal 0 assists
2016/17: 88 minutes against Real Madrid, 1 goal 0 assists
2017/18: 180 minutes against Real Madrid, 0 goals 0 assists
2018/19: 180 minutes against Liverpool, 0 goals 0 assists

Total: 4 goals & 0 assists in 1018 minutes
G+A/90 of 0.35

It's not the worst, but it's far from his usual output. To bring an example, this season in all competitions he has a G+A/90 of 1.56, i.e. he's scoring 4.4x more frequently than he has done for Bayern in the tough CL matches. Sometimes (eg Liverpool) this can be explained by pointing towards the fewer chances and balls he received, but against Real Madrid he did have the chances.

He's not a big choker, but he's certainly nowhere near an Inzaghi who remains the benchmark for the opposite of a choker.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby YlonenXabi » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:07 pm

So he scored 4 goals in those 6 matches even though he had to play through injury in some of them or literally hours after leaving hospital after getting a concussion.

If he'd been more clinical on those matches we would be talking about someone on Messi or Ronaldo's level. something that he is obviously not.
YlonenXabi

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Spain

Postby #12 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:30 pm

One was a penalty... One debatably a terStegen howler...

It’s EXACTLY that he’s not more clinical
And sometimes it even shows in the league i.e. yesterday...
Chief Critic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby Achilles » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:51 pm

He is on fire again he'll go quiet for a while(3-4 games) and then again will hit his 40 goal benchmark with Coutinho elevating his game maybe 50 and 10-15 on CL hopefully. Criticizing Lewandowski after the standards he has set for Bayern is futile. This player is our go-to-guy, by far the best player and leader of this squad since 2017. There is no discussion. His CL performances are underwhelming but you can't blame it entirely on him except the 2017 semi-final against Real Madrid which I'd say is his worst performance on Bayern shirt apart from that the whole team was underwhelming in the big stage in the Carlo-Kovac era, how much Lewandowski could push semis? final? Tops no way he could win us the CL on his own, no striker could do that except the duo of CR7-Messi where he is not there but the closest one in terms of numbers, consistency, durability, leadership.

I believe that this season he'll have his best individual year, he started brilliant and Coutinho will play a massive role so is Perisic who started brilliant too. Right now we play much better offensively than last year, we produce tons of chances but we're wasting them... it's better though producing chances than nothing... 50 goal for Lewy, hopefully Coman and Coutinho will follow his brilliance into the season!

X

Mia san mia
Achilles
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby YlonenXabi » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:09 pm

#12 wrote:One was a penalty... One debatably a terStegen howler...

Ter Stegen howler? Are you for real?

He has scored dozens of goals in every competition. In 2012 he scored a god damn hattrick against us in the Pokal final. But before that he scored the one and only goal in a 1-0 victory against Bayern that secured the title for them as well.

One year later he put up a show and scored 4 past Real Madrid in the first leg of the CL semis.

With us he is breaking all records in Bundesliga and has scored plenty of important goals in Pokal too.

He could have been more critical in the Champions League KO games, but it's not like he has failed to score or something. I just think he could have done better in 2017, but he had little support with Müller and Ribery to be fair.

But as I said, if he had been critical in those KO games we would be talking about someone on a Messi/Ronaldo level.
YlonenXabi

National Flag:
Spain

Postby MUTU » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:26 pm

YlonenXabi wrote:So he scored 4 goals in those 6 matches even though he had to play through injury in some of them or literally hours after leaving hospital after getting a concussion.

If he'd been more clinical on those matches we would be talking about someone on Messi or Ronaldo's level. something that he is obviously not.

It's not 6 matches mate. All of them are 2 legs except for the 2016/17 one... and there's one that's 210 minutes long because he played extra time against Juventus as well.
MUTU

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:29 pm

YlonenXabi wrote:But as I said, if he had been critical in those KO games we would be talking about someone on a Messi/Ronaldo level.

So, you basically agree with the general idea that he's not a big game player who rises to the occasion. For the record, I think Messi doesn't rise to the occasion either, only Ronaldo does.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:57 pm

The problem with Lewa imo is that he clearly isn’t as good in those big games as usual. It’s not a question of goals scored because it’s expected he’ll score less against better teams. But consistently in those games he has either vanished completely or missed chances he never (or rarely, because he did yesterday) usually misses. I do think the pressure affects him to some extent.

There have been exceptions obviously, 2013 Real being the obvious one. But there is a trend, I think. If he did score the chances he usually scores, I think yes, we could talk about Messi/Ronaldo numbers in big games.

He’s still the best striker we could have, btw, and he is invaluable. It is ultimately the club’s mistake to not be able to score when he goes missing. Lewandowski has clearly won us titles almost by himself. Can’t imagine our table position at the moment if we had let him go.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby #12 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:22 pm

YlonenXabi wrote:
#12 wrote:One was a penalty... One debatably a terStegen howler...

Ter Stegen howler? Are you for real?

He has scored dozens of goals in every competition. In 2012 he scored a god damn hattrick against us in the Pokal final. But before that he scored the one and only goal in a 1-0 victory against Bayern that secured the title for them as well.

One year later he put up a show and scored 4 past Real Madrid in the first leg of the CL semis.

With us he is breaking all records in Bundesliga and has scored plenty of important goals in Pokal too.

He could have been more critical in the Champions League KO games, but it's not like he has failed to score or something. I just think he could have done better in 2017, but he had little support with Müller and Ribery to be fair.

But as I said, if he had been critical in those KO games we would be talking about someone on a Messi/Ronaldo level.

Sorry, had another thing in mind... I think it was disallowed...
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

Postby YlonenXabi » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:15 pm

I'm against all that -being a choker- thing in football

I'd say there are players that might step up in big games like Ronaldo or Bale and players that fail under pressure like Higuain

But most of the other players are somewhere in between. I don't think Lewy chokes or anything like that. He just plays against better teams and defenses that know he is our main weapon and put special effort on defending him

He scored 4 against Real Madrid in the Cl semifinals and 3 against Bayern in the Pokal final. How did that happen?

If he is a choker, then who are the big game performers? Icardi? Kane? Piatek? Costa? Rashford? :shock:
YlonenXabi

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Firefox1234 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:35 pm

Welcome to the Allianz Arena....

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate
Firefox1234

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Kenya

Postby Firefox1234 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:38 pm

Welcome to the Allianz Arena....

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate
Firefox1234

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Kenya

Postby IsiahRashad » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:57 am

This is his season. Playing with Coutinho seems to really motivate him to do things that he's never achieved before.
IsiahRashad

National Flag:
Bulgaria

PreviousNext

Return to Bayern Player & Staff Discussion