You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Robert Lewandowski

Discussions about the former / present players & staff, and their personal life. Was a player fined for speeding? Did a former player become a coach? Find it all here.

Re: Robert Lewandowski

Postby aterford » Wed May 02, 2018 7:55 pm

YlonenXabi wrote:Where is WHOEVER you want to buy to replace Lewy?

Unless you are talking about signing Cristiano Ronaldo :?

I said last 3 seasons. Messi hasn't scored in either final, semi finals or quarter finals for 3 year in a row nor his team has made it past the quarterfinals.

Does it mean he is finished or he is choking?

Lewy has scored in plenty of KO rounds. Or even if he didn't score, he was still important like against Besiktas when he sent off Domagoj Vida in the first half. That made things easier

I'm disappointed cause he couldn't score against Real this year, but the lack of a wide player on the right (as Mueller was playing too centrally) overcrowded the box and he had no space at all. He gave everything and you can see he was as sad as any other Bayern player/supporter after the game.

Again: Messi's team has performed worse in general, but Messi as a player has performed better than Lewandowski. He is putting up better numbers in less time. Simple as.
To me it seems saying things like "He gave everything" and "he was as sad as any other player" are a bit too generous. To me it looked like he was spending more time yelling at the referee and hoping to buy a foul than he was fighting to win the game. Yeah, the referee missed some calls, and I'm not excusing that, but you've gotta be smart enough as a player to know when things aren't going your way and that you're just not gonna get those calls vs Madrid in the UCL. And of course people process emotions differently but look at someone like Kimmich, Alaba, Thiago after that match and tell me Lewy was just as upset/passionate as they were. Again, it's different for different people, and it's hard to tell when you're not there, but TBH Lewy after the match - with his shirt over his mouth - he looked just as 'checked out' as he had for the previous 180 minutes. I don't think it was a matter of being upset, but rather just wholly not caring. And I don't claim to be a mind reader, but I *am* a psychologist, so I like to think I have a decent read on people :lol: :lol:

But still, I wonder: what happens next year if Lewandowski is replaced? Really, I'm asking. Forget about Werner - let's just say we start Wagner all year.
Do we fail to win the Bundesliga? Do we fail to make it to the Pokal final? If the last five years is any indication, the answer is a clear No.
So the only question then is what happens in the UCL.

You mention that perhaps Lewy struggled due to lack of a wide player on the right (it's worked fine in the past, but okay, for discussion sake I'll grant it). If that's the case - if that's really true - the logical conclusion is that having a top player on the right wing has a greater impact on our team than having world's best CF. So, if that's true, as purported, would we not be better off selling Lewandowski and using the funds to buy a top winger to play alongside Wagner or whoever? If it's the winger who has so much more influence on the success of the striker, it makes more sense to funnel more money towards your winger than your CF.

As it stands, Lewy is the highest paid player on the team and in the country but we're now left resorting to "well he needs a better winger to be successful"....and I don't mean to be rude, but I just don't find that to be a very compelling argument in his favor.

So again I will ask: realistically - or in your honest opinion, anyways - how much of a decline do we see next year if we sell Lewandowski and use the money to buy a top winger or replacement CF?
#BigFlickEnergy
aterford
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby #12 » Wed May 02, 2018 8:13 pm

He was pulling the shirt over his mouth do lip readers would not be able to decipher his flirtation ls with Penaldo...
Summer 2020: Hasan, show us your weakness!!
Chief Critic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby sch0ll7 » Wed May 02, 2018 9:39 pm

lewa is a top striker...there are only few similar strikers out there. it would be stupid to sell him as we would never get a better striker as there arent any realistic strikers left.
if someone thinks that wagner is anywhere near lewandowski than you know nothing about football...he is good as a sub for a club as fc bayern. it would be like comparing neuer and ulreich..ulreich is good but he will never be as good as neuer.

i am.not his biggest fan but his scoring record and skills are there. he has a bad game now and then and it happens. us not having right wing play in this tie was a big factor for lewa as he had no space...and he played next to ramos..one of the best cbs in the world. just like ronaldo was nowhere in this tie as he had top cbs around him.

he is a professional and believe me he did everything to score and win..he is a person that will give everything to win..just like robben, ribery etc.. he will never give up..that is why you see him all over the pitch.

I am sure our board know this and will keep him.

maybe we should think about dropping muller..as he was way worse in this tie..and lets remember that he was responsible for covering marcelo..but he was never there..on the other side..ribery did well to help alaba..and he is 35.
Starin` at the world through my rearview
sch0ll7
Moderator & EURO 2012 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Location: "I'm a Bayern Munich player and I've no intention of joining that club. I'm fine thanks."
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby Lahmies » Wed May 02, 2018 9:57 pm

aterford just hit the nail on the head. kudos.
Lahmies
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membership

Postby Awax » Wed May 02, 2018 11:12 pm

After digesting the loss, I'm kinda happy that Lewy sucked. If recall, not too long ago, he was publicly criticizing Bayern for not signing superstars. Now I agree with him, we have none at the number 9 position.
I write 'Karma' on my money to make sure it comes back.
Awax
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Postby aterford » Wed May 02, 2018 11:29 pm

sch0ll7 wrote:lewa is a top striker...there are only few similar strikers out there. it would be stupid to sell him as we would never get a better striker as there arent any realistic strikers left.

Getting a "worse" striker doesn't mean the *team* gets worse as a whole. As already discussed elsewhere... "Better" does not equal "better fit". It's entirely possible to get a "worse" striker who's a better fit with the current team. Or if it frees up funds for a top winger...With the way the club plays, a world class winger and "above average" striker is better for us than an "above average" winger and world class striker.

sch0ll7 wrote:if someone thinks that wagner is anywhere near lewandowski than you know nothing about football...he is good as a sub for a club as fc bayern. it would be like comparing neuer and ulreich..ulreich is good but he will never be as good as neuer.

Let's not fall into this appeal to the stone type fallacious reasoning. If you think it's so absurd to suggest that Wagner is "anywhere near" Lewy, why not prove it rather than essentially just saying "it's ridiculous because it's ridiculous"

sch0ll7 wrote:i am.not his biggest fan but his scoring record and skills are there. he has a bad game now and then and it happens. us not having right wing play in this tie was a big factor for lewa as he had no space...and he played next to ramos..one of the best cbs in the world. just like ronaldo was nowhere in this tie as he had top cbs around him.

Again, doesn't this speak more to the notion that a top winger is more important to us than a top striker?

sch0ll7 wrote:he is a professional and believe me he did everything to score and win..he is a person that will give everything to win..just like robben, ribery etc.. he will never give up..that is why you see him all over the pitch.

Speculative...you say "all over the pitch", I say "more like falling all over the pitch" or "that's because his positioning was all over the place (not a good thing)"

sch0ll7 wrote:maybe we should think about dropping muller..as he was way worse in this tie..and lets remember that he was responsible for covering marcelo..but he was never there..on the other side..ribery did well to help alaba..and he is 35.

Müller was poor but he was in no way worse than Lewandowski. He set up the first goal, no? That's already more than Lewy can say...and TBH he'd probably have two goals if 1.) Lewy passed the ball to him when he was standing in front of a wide open net rather than trying to dribble in leg one, and, 2.) Lewy hadn't blocked a shot from Müller that was a certain goal if he hadn't gotten in the way.
#BigFlickEnergy
aterford
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Ziklitschli » Wed May 02, 2018 11:31 pm

After this match I am not against selling him (for psychological reasons rather than his performance) but Ronaldo played 5 times worse and had a miss Lewandowski would be killed for, 22 years old Sule kept him in his pocket (Lewy was doubled and sometimes tripled by proven WC defenders) and noone even thinks about selling him. Also, he had dry patches in both CL and league, was accused of banging goals only vs mediocore teams and choking vs big ones, scoring mostly penalties, needing 20 shots for a goal etc, still wasn't sold, look where he is today at the age of 33.

Looking at todays match, enough to look at how many chances and shots Dzeko had, it's actualy a standard. It's ofc natural to expect the supposedly "best" striker to have a goal from 2 chances but it is in fact unrealistic, happens but is not as dependent on skill as people think.

Not to mention how many times he was illegaly stopped when trying to get out on goal. In first leg he was v. bad but he looked really out of sync, for me clearly rested too much and they haven't played enough together with Muller.
It's time to deut the Raum
Ziklitschli
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby #12 » Wed May 02, 2018 11:32 pm

We're not getting a winger nor a new striker...
Summer 2020: Hasan, show us your weakness!!
Chief Critic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby Lahmies » Thu May 03, 2018 1:07 am

“Robert Lewandowski: "If anybody saw that game, they'll know Bayern deserved to go through. There's a conspiracy involving Real Madrid. Nobody wants to speak about it, but everybody in football knows what it is."

[beIN]”

Damn...that’s brave. :shock:
Lahmies
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby aterford » Thu May 03, 2018 1:16 am

Ziklitschli wrote:After this match I am not against selling him (for psychological reasons rather than his performance) but Ronaldo played 5 times worse and had a miss Lewandowski would be killed for, 22 years old Sule kept him in his pocket (Lewy was doubled and sometimes tripled by proven WC defenders) and noone even thinks about selling him. Also, he had dry patches in both CL and league, was accused of banging goals only vs mediocore teams and choking vs big ones, scoring mostly penalties, needing 20 shots for a goal etc, still wasn't sold, look where he is today at the age of 33.

I guess i see what you're trying to get at here, but IMO this is a really poor way to go about trying to make it....
I hate the guy (when we play him at least) but he has OWNED the UCL.
Meanwhile, if you look at Lewandowski's numbers, you'll see that his scoring/assisting averages fall off a cliff when you compare BL play to UCL play. Meanwhile, Ronaldo's numbers tend to do the opposite. He's literally been better in the UCL than the league (and TBH has played in tougher leagues his whole career) than Lewy.
The last time Ronaldo had a "dry patch" in the UCL was 2014/2015 when he dropped to a paltry 10 goals/4 assists. That's better than Lewy's best ever UCL season.

Lewy's first season in the UCL was 11/12. Here's how it's shook out since then:
11/12 - 1 goal, 2 assists
12/13 - 10 goals, 2 assists
13/14 - 6 goals, 4 assists
14/15 - 6 goals, 5 assists
15/16 - 9 goals, 1 assist
16/17 - 8 goals, 1 assist
17/18 - 5 goals, 2 assists

Ronaldo in the same span:
11/12 - 10 goals, 3 assists
12/13 - 12 goals, 1 assist
13/14 - 17 goals, 5 assists
14/15 - 10 goals, 4 assists (this was the last "dry spell")
15/16 - 16 goals, 4 assists
16/17 - 12 goals, 6 assists
17/18 - 15 goals, 3 assists

I think it's pretty clear why Madrid have not given any consideration to selling Ronaldo. Heck, I am a "Messi guy" (at least that's where I side on that 'debate') but I don't think Ronaldo and Lewy are even close to being in the same conversation.
#BigFlickEnergy
aterford
I'm a post king!

Postby aterford » Thu May 03, 2018 1:20 am

Lahmies wrote:“Robert Lewandowski: "If anybody saw that game, they'll know Bayern deserved to go through. There's a conspiracy involving Real Madrid. Nobody wants to speak about it, but everybody in football knows what it is."

[beIN]”

Well, that I can certainly respect....Say some more stuff like that and I might be back in your corner.
#BigFlickEnergy
aterford
I'm a post king!

Postby PunkCapitalist » Thu May 03, 2018 2:06 am

aterford wrote:
Lahmies wrote:“Robert Lewandowski: "If anybody saw that game, they'll know Bayern deserved to go through. There's a conspiracy involving Real Madrid. Nobody wants to speak about it, but everybody in football knows what it is."

[beIN]”

Well, that I can certainly respect....Say some more stuff like that and I might be back in your corner.
Indeed. Say a lot more of those things and I might write this season off on a bad patch.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
PunkCapitalist
I live on BayernForum.com

Postby IrishDave » Thu May 03, 2018 2:47 am

[beIN]”

Yeah Lewy let’s blame the ref, let’s say nothing about the two glorious chances you missed over the tie, oh and the fact that we created over 30 chances over the two legs but you only had two clear cut chances, oh and how James missed an open goal. We’ll also say nothing about that shitshow Ribery and Alaba offered up last night against f@@@ing Lucas Vazquez at rb nor will we say anything about the fact that Süle was one of our most creative players last night, yeah we should have been awarded a penalty but Real could have got one too, on another night they would have oh also let’s keep quiet about the fact Tolisso should’ve been sent off in the first leg.
STFU Lewy the doors over there, have fun sitting on the bench in Madrid next year.
IrishDave
Getting the hang of it

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby aterford » Thu May 03, 2018 6:23 am

Apparently the quotes are fake.
#BigFlickEnergy
aterford
I'm a post king!

Postby IsiahRashad » Thu May 03, 2018 6:57 am

Christian Falk at Sky: "Once a player told me: I always thought the most egoistical player I’ve ever known is Arjen Robben. But then I met Robert Lewandowski."

Send via carrier pigeon.
IsiahRashad

National Flag:
Bulgaria

PreviousNext

Return to Bayern Player & Staff Discussion