You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Pep Guardiola [Josep Guardiola i Sala]

Discussions about the former / present players & staff, and their personal life. Was a player fined for speeding? Did a former player become a coach? Find it all here.

Re: Pep Guardiola [Josep Guardiola i Sala]

Postby nm462272 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:13 pm

reach a CL final, I think. Not necessarily win it, since any 1 game can be a crapshoot, but just reach it. losing three consecutive knockouts with a team that already showed it could reach and win the final was... underwhelming.

that being said, I personally don't consider Pep a failure at Bayern - just a bit disappointing, considering his reputation and expectations set before he arrived.
Des interessiert mi ois ned, der Scheißdreck. Weltmeister samma! Den Pott hamma! Den scheiß goldener Schuh kannst da hinter d’Ohr’n schmiern! - Mia San Mia

Euer Hass ist unser Stolz!
nm462272
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby Dumbledore7 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:32 pm

aterford wrote:I think it just needs to be answered out in the open:

What did Guardiola need to do from 2014-2016 to not be considered a "failure" at Bayern?

Think it was a success. Kept Bayern in the top echelon of elites, which we never were before and was exactly what the board wanted. Did just enough to leverage Jupp's success, although should've won one CL to be universally considered great.

If someone came in to Leicester after 2016, taking advantage of that fluke victory and kept them challenging for top 4 every season since, I would consider that to be a more spectacular achievement than Ranieri's. It's a much grander extent, but my thought is exactly the same for Pep following Jupp.

Before 2013, no one spoke of us in the same line as Barcelona and Madrid. Now it's indisputable. If it was that easy to follow up, Inter and Chelsea (other recent CL winners) should be elite by now.
Dumbledore7
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
Indonesia
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member

Postby aterford » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:53 pm

Dumbledore7 wrote:

What did Guardiola need to do from 2014-2016 to not be considered a "failure" at Bayern?

Think it was a success. Kept Bayern in the top echelon of elites, which we never were before and was exactly what the board wanted. Did just enough to leverage Jupp's success, although should've won one CL to be universally considered great.

If someone came in to Leicester after 2016, taking advantage of that fluke victory and kept them challenging for top 4 every season since, I would consider that to be a more spectacular achievement than Ranieri's. It's a much grander extent, but my thought is exactly the same for Pep following Jupp.

Before 2013, no one spoke of us in the same line as Barcelona and Madrid. Now it's indisputable. If it was that easy to follow up, Inter and Chelsea (other recent CL winners) should be elite by now.

That's pretty much where I land. For me, regardless of if you don't make or win the final - I will never consider three consecutive BL titles, two pokal wins, and 3 straight semifinal appearances to be a failure. I don't even think "bigger" clubs like Madrid or Barcelona would consider that haul a 'failure'. The idea that the 2013/2014 team was functionally the same as the 12/13 one and should've been able to just walk into the UCL final is flawed IMO. The fact that we were able to stay right in the conversation with the top teams in the world for three years is a pretty big success in my opinion. Far from perfect, and I think we had the ability to win a UCL under Guardiola, but sometimes it takes more than just ability/management/etc.
aterford
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby FootballFan » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:08 pm

Simple if BM weren't going to 101% back him (talking about the board) then there was simply no point in hiring him.

With Pep BM got one of the most sought after manager in the game and we needed to use his present to pull some of the best players here. Earlier this year he said he wanted KdB here, but your board deemed him expensive for 55m, but BM paid 40m for Gotze and Rento, while 50m for Tolisso, but 55m for KdB was too much. KdB crosses would've been lovely for Muller and Lewa at this moment and time.

He was always going to come here and rip this team apart and build his own, but not enough support in terms of transfer has been given to him because BM act cheap despite the fact they are one of the richest club in the world.

His last season should a lot to me in terms of what he wanted to achieve, BM played some amazing football and the players were all in top form the work ethics and spirit was there, but it was that extra bit of quality we were missing.
FootballFan
Woah, this feels cool!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby FCB12Forever » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:26 am

FootballFan wrote:Earlier this year he said he wanted KdB here, but your board deemed him expensive for 55m, but BM paid 40m for Gotze and Rento, while 50m for Tolisso, but 55m for KdB was too much. KdB crosses would've been lovely for Muller and Lewa at this moment and time.

I saw a financial analysis which concluded that on that year the maximum $ Bayern could spend on one player was around 35m. 55m was indeed too expensive.
FCB12Forever
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membership

Postby FootballFan » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:38 am

FCB12Forever wrote:
FootballFan wrote:Earlier this year he said he wanted KdB here, but your board deemed him expensive for 55m, but BM paid 40m for Gotze and Rento, while 50m for Tolisso, but 55m for KdB was too much. KdB crosses would've been lovely for Muller and Lewa at this moment and time.

I saw a financial analysis which concluded that on that year the maximum $ Bayern could spend on one player was around 35m. 55m was indeed too expensive.

Every club finds ways around these. At best could've offload Gotze for 20m and they'd have 55m then. Oh and lets not forget selling Kroos...
FootballFan
Woah, this feels cool!

Postby tflags » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:24 am

nm462272 wrote:reach a CL final, I think. Not necessarily win it, since any 1 game can be a crapshoot, but just reach it. losing three consecutive knockouts with a team that already showed it could reach and win the final was... underwhelming.

that being said, I personally don't consider Pep a failure at Bayern - just a bit disappointing, considering his reputation and expectations set before he arrived.

With 1 million a month salary (ok fine, I don't have it in written; but ballpark) he shoulda won 3 CL in a row with Can, Goetze, Hojberg and yes, Rafinha too.
Kimmich
Kimmich - Thiago - Kimmich
Kimmich -- Kimmich
Kimmich -- Hummels -- Boa --Kimmich
Kimmich with Gloves
tflags

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Ecuador
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby Lahmies » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:37 am

He didn’t have the obligation to win the CL, but not losing in such an embarrassing fashion every time should have been enough.
Lahmies
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membership

Postby #12 » Thu May 17, 2018 6:27 pm

Butbutbut... I thought he loved Bayern? That he only worked in 3-year-cycles?
What he loves is spending until he will win it - which is probably going to happen soon...
JUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPP
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

Postby MUTU » Thu May 17, 2018 6:31 pm

#12 wrote:Butbutbut... I thought he loved Bayern? That he only worked in 3-year-cycles?
What he loves is spending until he will win it - which is probably going to happen soon...

Well, that's easy to answer using your logic. We're a small club, so he used us as a stepping stone to get to Manchester City, no?
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby ramsej84 » Thu May 17, 2018 7:19 pm

Signed a contract extension
https://twitter.com/PremiumSportHD/stat ... 49120?s=19

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby #12 » Thu May 17, 2018 11:10 pm

MUTU wrote:
#12 wrote:Butbutbut... I thought he loved Bayern? That he only worked in 3-year-cycles?

Well, that's easy to answer using your logic. We're a small club, so he used us as a stepping stone to get to Manchester City, no?

Again you people need to learn to read... We are not a top TEAM in my opinion, we’re one of the bigger clubs - but clearly less ambitious...
JUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPP
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

Postby rthebest » Fri May 18, 2018 12:01 am

just to be clear we are not discussing Pep coaching here.
I agree with #12. Bayern is less ambitious, he wanted De-Bruyne, Bayern thought he is too expensive. He wanted Kross to stay; Bayern though he is not that good.
these are some of the players Bayern got when he was here

- Thiago ( his wish - injured mostly)
- Gotze (just to screw with BVB)
- Lewy ( we got him because we could get him for free)
- Vidal (not a Pep player)
- grand pa Alonso (swapped him with Kross #-o )
- Benatia (always injured, and not a type of CB Pep wants)
- Sardar tasci
- Bernat
- Costa
- Coman
- Kimich (the best player Bayern purchased in past few years)

and now
- we are still happy that Robbery will stay in Bayern injury list for another year
- happy that Rafinha will play keepy uppy for Bayern youtube channel viewers for another year.
- happy that Kovac is coming next season because the board couldn't make their mind.
- don't have any other player to step up in the big games when Lewy goes missing.
rthebest
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Canada

Postby Dumbledore7 » Fri May 18, 2018 2:56 am

He wanted to bring in De Bruyne, Sané, Neymar, etc. Judging from those alone, he's probably the person who cares the most about Bayern in the world - especially compared to the people who brought Costa, Rudy, kept Müller, extended Robben and Ribery, etc. No way people who actually love Bayern can make such detrimental decisions towards our club, right?

He's clearly not been allowed by Rummenigge and Hoeness to love Bayern as much as he actually does. I'd have left too.

Pep most definitely can't do any wrong as far as I'm concerned :wink:
Dumbledore7
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
Indonesia

Postby ramsej84 » Fri May 18, 2018 6:47 am

Dumbledore7 wrote:

He wanted to bring in De Bruyne, Sané, Neymar, etc. Judging from those alone, he's probably the person who cares the most about Bayern in the world - especially compared to the people who brought Costa, Rudy, kept Müller, extended Robben and Ribery, etc. No way people who actually love Bayern can make such detrimental decisions towards our club, right?

He's clearly not been allowed by Rummenigge and Hoeness to love Bayern as much as he actually does. I'd have left too.

Pep most definitely can't do any wrong as far as I'm concerned :wink:
Even if he transformed a Panzer into an Audi.... ?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

National Flag:
Malta

PreviousNext

Return to Bayern Player & Staff Discussion