You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Niko Kovač

Discussions about the former / present players & staff, and their personal life. Was a player fined for speeding? Did a former player become a coach? Find it all here.

Re: Niko Kovač

Postby ramsej84 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:32 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:It's hard to decide where to stand on this one.

On one hand, it's ridiculous the board kept a coach and then refuse to give him the team he wants.
On the other hand, in most of these cases I agree with the board that we shouldn't go for them.

It seems like they're scared to commit to Kovac and his squad so the question then is, why keep him? The board is now responsible whatever happens, even if Kovac really messes up.
Exactly they put the responsibility upon themselves
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Fénix » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:54 pm

On one hand, it's ridiculous the board kept a coach and then refuse to give him the team he wants.
On the other hand, in most of these cases I agree with the board that we shouldn't go for them.

It seems like they're scared to commit to Kovac and his squad so the question then is, why keep him? The board is now responsible whatever happens, even if Kovac really messes up.

Please, admit it finaly that they have been only responsible for everything what happened over the last 4 years. :)

It's not just now or since last summer and Kovač, it's older than Ancelotti's time at Bayern.
Auf geht's ihr Roten!
Fénix

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Croatia

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:48 pm

I disagree. They’re responsible for getting us into this situation (both in terms of players and coaching) and they have been pushing us toward it for a long time, since Pep left in terms of coaching and by taking so long to replace Robbery with yearly extensions.

However until recently, I would say even including 2018/19, the squad was good and the coaches+luck+refereeing are to blame (to varying degrees every season) for not achieving more. Now the squad just isn’t good so I can’t really blame any coach even though I believe someone else could probably achieve more with this squad than Kovac.
Kovac OUT!!!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby ramsej84 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:52 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:I disagree. They’re responsible for getting us into this situation (both in terms of players and coaching) and they have been pushing us toward it for a long time, since Pep left in terms of coaching and by taking so long to replace Robbery with yearly extensions.

However until recently, I would say even including 2018/19, the squad was good and the coaches+luck+refereeing are to blame (to varying degrees every season) for not achieving more. Now the squad just isn’t good so I can’t really blame any coach even though I believe someone else could probably achieve more with this squad than Kovac.

qf or sf of the ucl ?
ramsej84

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby aterford » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:39 pm

Yep, pretty much my thoughts exactly.

Started off with hiring Brazzo ahead of what's arguably the biggest transfer-renovation period in the club's history. He had literally zero experience and given that we did pretty much nothing the past couple windows this is essentially his first big window.

Save for release clauses Brazzo has not yet shown any ability to secure top players.

And then we have Kovac, who also simply had little-to-no experience with top players - only some from a coaching perspective with Croatia, but ZERO experience scouting and identifying top-level targets for a club like Bayern. Obviously, you're not going to be managing 'transfers' for your national team and the level of player you'd target at Frankfurt is radically different from that of Bayern.....with that in mind, we shouldn't be too terribly surprised when a manager who has only ever scouted Frankfurt-level signings pretty much just has eyes for Frankfurt-level players.

And so there's the problem: our SD can seemingly identify top targets, but can't secure them. Our manager wants mid-table players, but we (rightly) understand that they're not quality enough for our club. Struggling to secure the top-level players and unwilling to secure the lower-level ones. And doubling down on Kovac only exacerbates the problem. Last year it was "well he didn't get any signings" and we already know this year the excuse will be "he didn't get the players HE wanted" or "he wasn't supported by the club" when failure inevitably arrives.

We're right in not wanting such players, but it does look foolish to semi-commit to a manager while refusing to get the players he feels he needs to play the way he wants to play.
So I can't really figure out our insistence on sticking by Kovac. Even his biggest supporters could admit that if just two games at the end of the season went differently he'd have been fired. If we don't win the double, he's gone. And frankly: if we have to have it come down to just one or two games to decide whether or not to sack the coach....then that should pretty well tell you they shouldn't be kept, IMO. At this point it's really kind of feeling like they kept him just because it would have been a bad look to sack him, rather than keeping him on based on merit.

So, all that being said...it feels like basically the "rebuild" is going to end up split over two years. We'll get what we can this season, inevitably end up sacking Kovac and hopefully 'complete' the rebuild next season with a new manager in place.
Operation ten Hag 2k20
aterford
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby gumboduncan » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:46 pm

This to me isn't a surprise. We all know that in Germany it's not the coach that decides the transfer strategy. How much power did Guardiola have? Probably more then Kovač, but it's not like he decided every transfer at Bayern, in and out. I can remember that Guardiola wanted the board to extend Toni Kroos' contract but they didn't. Kovač does not get the same respect from the board as Guardiola or Ancelotti, at least not yet. If those reports are true about Kovač' wish list then I have to agree with the board. Some of those players aren't Bayern quality and shouldn't be bought.

Of course I don't know exactly what Kovač and the board talk about regarding what the team needs, but I can imagine that Kovač gives his opinion on what he would like in terms of squad planning and the size of the squad for example. Also I believe the board informs Kovač about their plans and if he would be comfortable with with they're planing. For instance I couldn't imagine the board signing too many players if Kovač has asked to have a smaller squad.

Kovač is our coach and the board has to respect his wishes to some degree and Kovač has to respect that he isn't the squad planner.
In Kalle I trust
gumboduncan
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Iceland

Postby #12 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:17 pm

ramsej84 wrote:Just to make him resign..
Not to pay the rest of his wages

His wages - despite still way overpaying him - are rather small... We can afford those even with Uli at the helm...
Kovac OUT!!!
Chief Critic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby #12 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:23 pm

aterford wrote:

Yep, pretty much my thoughts exactly.

Started off with hiring Brazzo ahead of what's arguably the biggest transfer-renovation period in the club's history. He had literally zero experience and given that we did pretty much nothing the past couple windows this is essentially his first big window.

Save for release clauses Brazzo has not yet shown any ability to secure top players.

And then we have Kovac, who also simply had little-to-no experience with top players - only some from a coaching perspective with Croatia, but ZERO experience scouting and identifying top-level targets for a club like Bayern. Obviously, you're not going to be managing 'transfers' for your national team and the level of player you'd target at Frankfurt is radically different from that of Bayern.....with that in mind, we shouldn't be too terribly surprised when a manager who has only ever scouted Frankfurt-level signings pretty much just has eyes for Frankfurt-level players.

And so there's the problem: our SD can seemingly identify top targets, but can't secure them. Our manager wants mid-table players, but we (rightly) understand that they're not quality enough for our club. Struggling to secure the top-level players and unwilling to secure the lower-level ones. And doubling down on Kovac only exacerbates the problem. Last year it was "well he didn't get any signings" and we already know this year the excuse will be "he didn't get the players HE wanted" or "he wasn't supported by the club" when failure inevitably arrives.

We're right in not wanting such players, but it does look foolish to semi-commit to a manager while refusing to get the players he feels he needs to play the way he wants to play.
So I can't really figure out our insistence on sticking by Kovac. Even his biggest supporters could admit that if just two games at the end of the season went differently he'd have been fired. If we don't win the double, he's gone. And frankly: if we have to have it come down to just one or two games to decide whether or not to sack the coach....then that should pretty well tell you they shouldn't be kept, IMO. At this point it's really kind of feeling like they kept him just because it would have been a bad look to sack him, rather than keeping him on based on merit.

So, all that being said...it feels like basically the "rebuild" is going to end up split over two years. We'll get what we can this season, inevitably end up sacking Kovac and hopefully 'complete' the rebuild next season with a new manager in place.

Sure... why not postpone it another 5 years... Next year is NOT gonna go better - why should it???
Kovac OUT!!!
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

Postby ramsej84 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:00 pm

ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby #12 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:01 pm

So does he mean like he does or like a real coach would?
Kovac OUT!!!
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

Postby PunkCapitalist » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:59 am

IsiahRashad wrote:"But we're not Real Madrid, to sack our coach after winning the double!!"

**** that.
Amen.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
PunkCapitalist
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby DRvad14 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:17 am

Last edited by DRvad14 on Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
DRvad14
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
India

Postby Fénix » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:50 am

Class optimist. :lol:

We barely played 10 match last season with a fantastic display on the pitch(if even 10 overall) and played more than 40 matches. Very far from attractive attacking football.

But in the forthcoming season everything is about to change for everybody at Bayern, including the coach.

Kovač's European inexperience was paid by getting relegated in the Round of 16 by wild European champion Liverpool that was so close to the PL title and totally unhappy not to win it because of Guardiola's Man City.
Auf geht's ihr Roten!
Fénix

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Croatia

Postby #12 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:35 pm

Kovac OUT!!!
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

Postby Firefox1234 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:23 pm

Same sheriff new rules
Can't see tweet? Click here!
Welcome to the Allianz Arena....

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate
Firefox1234

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Kenya
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

PreviousNext

Return to Bayern Player & Staff Discussion