You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Manuel Neuer

Discussions about the former / present players & staff, and their personal life. Was a player fined for speeding? Did a former player become a coach? Find it all here.

Re: Manuel Neuer

Postby America USA » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:50 am

MUTU wrote:Even if he retired 3 years ago, I'd still trust him over Ter Stegen if he was allowed to train for two weeks.

I'm just going to leave this here...

And this...

There was a time when I used to worry seeing Ter Stegen in goal but over the last two seasons (since Bravo left Barça) he has matured into a very reliable goalkeeper and was IMO amongst the Top five goalkeepers this last season (the other four being Navas, DDG, Allison and Oblak)

He has put in consistent performances for Barcelona and Germany as well (was terrific in the Spain friendly, good throughout the Qualifying and made some vital saves in the Confederations Cup)

Of course a fit and in-form Neuer would still start over him but let’s not besmirch a very decent player.
America USA
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membership

Postby ramsej84 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:11 am

America USA wrote:
RedQueen wrote:Has this suddenly turned into a Ter Stegen fanclub or something?

I can’t say for everyone else but I’m no Ter Stegen “fan” Only thing I am a fan of is meritocracy! Merit demanded that an in-form player who had a very good season at a Top club in possibly the best league in Europe start over a player (although great) who hadn’t started training with the ball until a few days (weeks?) before the competition!

Once again I don’t blame Manuel for Germany’s catastrophe because he wasn’t bad but he certainly wasn’t his majestic self either! My argument is still about the negative message it sent to the entire roster, that the favorites could get away with anything while the rest were doomed regardless of how well they did or how hard they tried!

Neuer is my second favorite current Bayern player (first being Thomas and third being Hummels) and when in form he’s the best goalkeeper. However, I refuse to believe that he was at his best in this competition after such a long layoff.

RedQueen wrote:I haven't seen many people complaining about the choice to play Neuer.

You need to go outside the online safe spaces and echo chambers and visit other football forums.
Redcafe, Big Soccer, ESPN and plenty of other football forums and websites have raised doubts over the whole Neuer (senior favoritism) situation. The few soccer junkies I know IRL too talked about this whole Goalkeeper thing with me after the defeat against South Korea.

RedQueen wrote:I wonder does Ter Stegen complain about Messi's special status at Barca, too?

What kind of preposterous argument is that?! FFS Messi and Ter Stegen don’t even play in the same position #-o
Many ppl I spoke to when I met them after the S.K matcg told me three things...
Sane + Neuer and also the unusual attitude shown by the German NT.....

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:17 am

America USA wrote:
RedQueen wrote:Has this suddenly turned into a Ter Stegen fanclub or something?

I can’t say for everyone else but I’m no Ter Stegen “fan” Only thing I am a fan of is meritocracy! Merit demanded that an in-form player who had a very good season at a Top club in possibly the best league in Europe start over a player (although great) who hadn’t started training with the ball until a few days (weeks?) before the competition!

OK, let's talk about merit.

merit
ˈmɛrɪt/Submit
noun
1. the quality of being particularly good or worthy, especially so as to deserve praise or reward.

I think we would agree that before Neuer's injury, Neuer was better than Ter Stegen was before the World Cup. In my opinion, WAAAAY better, but I would tolerate an opinion that they were close. Now, Neuer was injured, so it was unknown how well he would play. Would he return to his previous level or less? If less, still better than Ter Stegen? So Loew took a decision. He would look at the players training behind closed doors and evaluate whether Neuer was better than Ter Stegen or not. Now we don't know what happened in training, but there are quotes of players saying that you couldn't tell that he was out injured.

Therefore, everything points to Neuer performing better than Ter Stegen in training, so merit (the quality of being particularly good or worthy) DEMANDED that Neuer starts. Merit is NOT based on who had the greatest amount of playing time during the season but about who is performing best.

When you compare them to Oezil and Khedira it shows you have no idea what you're talking about. Oezil and Khedira have been underperforming for years while Neuer was THE ONLY German goalkeeper in Russia who had NEVER underperformed. If anything, not playing Ter Stegen (who had underperformed on occasion) should have spoken AGAINST Oezil and Khedira. Imagine that, the match-unfit goalkeeper who always performed well got the nod ahead of Ter Stegen who hadn't always performed well. Dwell on that for a while.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby America USA » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:47 pm

MATS has been consistent for the last two years.

I just want to rest this discussion with one crucial fact. Going into the World Cup even Ulreich and Karius has played more competitive games than Neuer had (ZERO) in the past six months.

The intensity and mentality at play in a real competitive game is never the same as that in practice or friendly games!

I hope Neuer can return to his best this season and Germany are lucky to have a top quality backup like Ter Stegen.
America USA
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membership

Postby MUTU » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:50 pm

America USA wrote:MATS has been consistent for the last two years.

Here's a refresher from (less than) two years ago:

America USA wrote:I just want to rest this discussion with one crucial fact. Going into the World Cup even Ulreich and Karius has played more competitive games than Neuer had (ZERO) in the past six months.

If players were chosen depending on how many matches they played in, then Trapp wouldn't have made it either. Thankfully there are other more important measures than amount of playing time.
America USA wrote:The intensity and mentality at play in a real competitive game is never the same as that in practice or friendly games!

True. And Loew correctly judged that Neuer would handle that intensity.

At the end of the day, Neuer proved he is still the best German goalkeeper. Actually, he was the best German player at the World Cup.

I can't believe how people are criticizing the best German player. It's like they wanted to also lose against Sweden.
MUTU

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:05 pm

I realised I watched what was regarded as his #1 save in this video in real life at the Allianz Arena during my first and only visit.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Dumbledore7 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:07 pm

I understand the choice for #1 because that is a superhuman display of strength, but I think there's a save that combines that with unreal reflexes and being in an even more difficult position: against Walcott's header. Still giving me shivers now.
Kovac OUT!!!
Dumbledore7
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Indonesia

Postby MUTU » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:09 pm

Dumbledore7 wrote:I understand the choice for #1 because that is a superhuman display of strength, but I think there's a save that combines that with unreal reflexes and being in an even more difficult position: against Walcott's header. Still giving me shivers now.

For me that save in the #2 position is the best save I have ever seen from any goalkeeper. I'm referring to that flying kick save against Porto when he was 19.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Dumbledore7 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:33 pm

I think we have just landed on an agreement that every save Neuer makes is the best ever :lol:
Kovac OUT!!!
Dumbledore7

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Indonesia

Postby MUTU » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:46 pm

Look at this video guys. This is 5 year old Neuer keeping goal with a teddy bear in goal behind him (and crying when he concedes a goal)

Now, what I'd really love is for Neuer to start doing it again and Bayern selling replica teddy bears. I'd definitely buy one for my daughter.
(or is it against the rules to have a teddy bear in goal?)
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:56 pm

... also imagine if he'd save a penalty and hug his teddy bear :) That would be a marketing pull :)
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Dumbledore7 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:05 pm

What you haven't realised is that the teddy bear has actually been with him all this time, grown up alongside him.

Kovac OUT!!!
Dumbledore7

National Flag:
Indonesia

Postby MUTU » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:09 pm

Dumbledore7 wrote:What you haven't realised is that the teddy bear has actually been with him all this time, grown up alongside him.

Haha it's not the same thing though, is it? Don't tell me you wouldn't like to have a replica of the teddy bear Neuer would be keeping behind him in goal :)
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Dumbledore7 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:15 pm

No you're right, if I had a daughter I'd probably buy 2 :lol:
Kovac OUT!!!
Dumbledore7

National Flag:
Indonesia

Postby ramsej84 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:17 pm

U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

PreviousNext

Return to Bayern Player & Staff Discussion