You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Leon Goretzka

Discussions about the former / present players & staff, and their personal life. Was a player fined for speeding? Did a former player become a coach? Find it all here.

Re: Leon Goretzka

Postby IsiahRashad » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:25 am

IsiahRashad

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Bulgaria

Postby IsiahRashad » Sat May 23, 2020 9:07 pm

Nothing bad that I can say about him today.

At least he put some muscle while being under quarantine.
IsiahRashad

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Bulgaria

Postby Fénix » Sat May 23, 2020 9:48 pm

Yeah, he doesn't look skinny anyone and that face looks more mature right now.
Auf geht's ihr Roten!
Fénix

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Croatia

Postby rthebest » Sat May 23, 2020 9:56 pm

Fénix wrote:Yeah, he doesn't look skinny anyone and that face looks more mature right now.

yes , looks like he used the lock down to bulk up.
rthebest
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Canada

Postby Firefox1234 » Sun May 24, 2020 2:52 pm

He took up his midfield duties and performed well. Now we need more of the same and much more...
Welcome to the Allianz Arena....

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate
Firefox1234

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Kenya
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby MUTU » Tue May 26, 2020 8:21 pm

30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby IsiahRashad » Tue May 26, 2020 8:42 pm

As far as I understand, Flick personally suggested from him to bulk up so he can get used more as a classic box-to-box midfielder because they didn't know "What exactly Goretzka is" before the quarantine outbreak.

Works well, for now. :wink:
IsiahRashad

National Flag:
Bulgaria

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Tue May 26, 2020 8:47 pm

IsiahRashad wrote:As far as I understand, Flick personally suggested from him to bulk up so he can get used more as a classic box-to-box midfielder because they didn't know "What exactly Goretzka is" before the quarantine outbreak.

Works well, for now. :wink:

Exactly what I've been saying, haha. He seems so talented but no one had figured out how to use him. We're seeing a definite improvement in that regard now. Hopefully it is not just good form.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Dumbledore7 » Tue May 26, 2020 8:50 pm

The resurgence of Boateng, the evolution of Goretzka and the rise of Gnabry and Davies make me wonder if we're gradually moving towards physical football again under Flick. Just an observation.
Dumbledore7
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Indonesia

Postby IsiahRashad » Tue May 26, 2020 8:54 pm

Dumbledore7 wrote:The resurgence of Boateng, the evolution of Goretzka and the rise of Gnabry and Davies make me wonder if we're gradually moving towards physical football again under Flick. Just an observation.

The only thing that I don't like at the moment is that Gnabry is starting on the left side - yes, he's fresh back from injury, but it never worked well for us even in the first period of the season.
IsiahRashad

National Flag:
Bulgaria

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Tue May 26, 2020 9:01 pm

Dumbledore7 wrote:The resurgence of Boateng, the evolution of Goretzka and the rise of Gnabry and Davies make me wonder if we're gradually moving towards physical football again under Flick. Just an observation.

Hmm... that's a good observation although it is worth noting there are still elements of the kind of light passing game favoured by Pep and Jupp. What I think is different though, especially from Pep's team, is tempo. Pep favoured patience. Jupp was something of a balance. With Flick we are prioritising both quick passes and speed, which can result in a very fast game. At times in the first half tonight, it even felt TOO fast.

It reminds me a lot of a comment by Loew several years ago. I don't remember the exact words but it was something like "as soon as we win position I want to see the ball in the net in 9 seconds." In fact if I had to think of a team this Bayern side reminds me of it would probably be the 2010-14 German NT, which is not so surprising I guess.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Dumbledore7 » Tue May 26, 2020 9:03 pm

Oh yeah don't get me wrong, physical football doesn't have to mean fewer passes. Even Pep's learned this too since his later Bayern years that there are some things that can only be done physically. Keep in mind that Pep's ace at City, De Bruyne, is first and foremost a power player.
Dumbledore7
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Indonesia

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Tue May 26, 2020 9:18 pm

To get back to Goretzka, I think his becomes one of the most important roles in the team. It is something Thiago has done perfectly and Goretzka has deputised well in the last 2 games. I don't think it will be possible to play both together unless we drop Mueller and Leon moves further up, but that's not too big an issue. We've long needed a Thiago-like player.

I'm not sure whether I'm wrong about this and maybe someone with stats and graphics can help out. But it's seemed to me in these three games - and this is one of the other minor changes I mentioned without elaborating on in the tactics thread - that Kimmich has now taken a slightly different role than the usual CDM. Perhaps more so in the other two games than today, it felt like his instructions aren't to take on players head on and tackle them but to win the ball through interceptions. Possibly this is why he does not appear as crucial as he actually is.

Now, in a system based on a very quick tempo through both instant passes and speed, this is a super important role. If I am right that Kimmich tends to win the ball with interceptions, this means he will often win possession while unmarked. That leaves two options: either draw on his experience as a RB and put in a long ball, like he did with that almost-goal Mueller had in the first half today, or else quickly pass on the ball to his partner, Thiago or Goretzka, who will very likely also be unmarked. Thiago and Goretzka are both great at playing the ball and creating chances. They will either go through Mueller and Lewandowski if there is space or, if there is a chance for a quick counterattack, get the ball to Davies/Gnabry/Coman and use speed instead of passing.

Looking at it just like this, the system sounds great, but it does have a weakness. If Kimmich is focused on winning balls through interceptions, it leaves our midfield exposed defensively when someone simply runs at them, dribbles past, or plays short passes. This is why Thiago has done so well, I think. He's not only great at playing the ball forward, but was also winning balls in the opposite way Kimmich does, through tackling. That partly solved the downside to the plan. Goretzka, on the other hand, has mostly sucked at winning the ball through tackling which basically means that usually, with a Kimmich-Goretzka midfield, it is a bit easy to get past them and face just the defence.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Previous

Return to Bayern Player & Staff Discussion