You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Douglas Costa [Douglas Costa de Souza]

Discussions about the former / present players & staff, and their personal life. Was a player fined for speeding? Did a former player become a coach? Find it all here.

Re: Douglas Costa [Douglas Costa de Souza]

Postby envagyokazapad » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:59 pm

rthebest wrote:
pyrasur wrote:I love having Ribéry and Robben at the club, and if players are afraid to come challenge them they aren't players worth having. What I'm more convinced is that the club gambled on Coman and Costa, gambled that Robben and Ribéry could be available a little more often, and it hasn't paid off. Or possibly they felt that Ribéry or Robben would be unavailable often enough that Costa and Coman could grow into those roles. Not to mention Müller is supposed to be good enough to fill in on the right.

As a result we've skipped on the likes of Draxler and Sané in order to avoid upsetting our stars. It's easy in hindsight for me to wish management had brought those players last summer but let's look at the players we do have. The gap between the potential and what they are currently giving us is too large. Müller needs to be much better, but at least he isn't complaining. Coman and Costa need to be better. Ribéry should never again complain about Guardiola because Franck's injuries have been killing us for several seasons. This coming summer the management should feel free to make some tough decisions.

Ribery deserved his extension but now he should understand that his body cannot handle 90 min game week in week out. I assume he is told about his role for the reminder of his contract. But Costa has to "eat a lot more soup" to get to the Ribery level" :wink:

This is the only part of the sentence that makes sense :P The rest only would if Costa played better than Ribery and Ribery complained about the lack of playtime. But it's not really like that, is it? This whole story is like...what the ****? I don't even know what Costa is thinking #-o I'm actually having a hard time believing any of those statements are real.

I don't think Costa will hold anybody to ransom, simply because he can't. He's achieved practically nothing before coming here, and will achieve nothing after leaving.

With Bayern's finances and Sanchez seemingly being one foot out of Arsenal he shouldn't be too hard to replace...
envagyokazapad
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby aterford » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:05 am

For what it's worth:

Goals
Costa 3
Ribery 2

Assists
Costa 1
Ribery 7

Shots per game
Costa 1.6
Ribery 1.1

Passing Percentage
Costa 80.9
Ribery 81.9

Key Passes per game
Costa 1.8
Ribery 2.0

Successful Dribbles
Costa 2.6
Ribery 1.8

Offsides
Costa .3/game
Ribery .4/game

Dispossessed
Costa 1.2x per game
Ribery 1.7x per game

"Poor Touches" per 90
Costa 0.9
Ribery 1.4

Successful Tackles per game
Costa 0.6
Ribery 0.2

Crosses per game
Costa 1.0
Ribery 0.4
aterford
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Coman » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:06 am

JANCKER wrote:It would be cheaper to give Costa a raise than sign Sanchez... Bayern have a lot of players in 10m+ payroll, they can't afford to pay everyone 10m+. Costa could be offered a better raise elsewhere and he showed in the past that he doesn't mind to play in places like Russia if the pay is good.

Costa is earning 7M a year. He doesn't deserve more.
4-3-3 : Neuer - Kimmich Boateng Hummels Alaba - Goretzka Thiago James - Robben Lewandowski Gnabry
3-5-2 : Neuer - Boateng Hummels Alaba - Thiago - Kimmich Goretzka James Coman - Müller Lewandowski
Coman
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
French Southern Ter

Postby envagyokazapad » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:15 am

I don't have to see stats to know Ribery is better. Costa just doesn't have the kind of influence on games that Ribery still does.

Like I said he can't hold anybody to ransom. He's a good player to have on the squad, but that's really it - we can easily get by without him. This is why I think the statements are not actually true, he just can't be this stupid. Robbing a bank with a gun that everybody knows is empty just doesn't work.

With that said if I were on the management I would make peace with him for now, and try to keep him happy - then silently offload him at the end of the season.
envagyokazapad
I post all the time

Postby JANCKER » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:15 am

Coman wrote:
JANCKER wrote:It would be cheaper to give Costa a raise than sign Sanchez... Bayern have a lot of players in 10m+ payroll, they can't afford to pay everyone 10m+. Costa could be offered a better raise elsewhere and he showed in the past that he doesn't mind to play in places like Russia if the pay is good.

Costa is earning 7M a year. He doesn't deserve more.

I said Russia when he actually played in Ukraine... :oops: He's greedy, who knows what kind of offers he received that he went this open demanding 'a move'.

We're in the middle of the season and some of our players are liking rumors that take them to Chelsea, one says to Kalle 'that he should come and say it to his face what he has to say', now this... :? Anarchy.
JANCKER

Postby aterford » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:17 am

Here's my issue. I don't think Ribery has been head and shoulders above Costa as many are making it sound. IMO, if Ribery hadn't been with us for so long, I'm not sure we'd be viewing him the same way right now.

The root of the problem for me is that Carlo, unlike Pep, doesn't like to use young or less experienced players. This has been his M.O. for his coaching career--given the choice, he will always play a more experienced player.
I love Xabi Alonso but it's quite clear he hasn't been playing well this season and I don't think there are many people here who would argue that Kimmich hasn't been playing better than him. Yet, Alonso is getting most of the starting nods.
Müller has been very poor as well, especially when deployed at RW. Would we be any worse off with Coman playing more at RW right now? I doubt he could play much worse than Müller has so far. My point is not to drag Xabi or Müller but rather show this--Carlo vastly prefers playing experienced players who have proven themselves in the past ahead of less experienced or younger players, even if the experienced guys aren't playing well.
I don't think Ribery has been bad, but frankly I don't think he's been terribly impressive either. As i said above, I think a large factor in why he's starting is that Carlo trusts him and the club feels they have to play these guys to be loyal to longstanding players. But I am not sure he's the best right now. As you can see in my above post, with the exception of the assists, Costa and Ribery are virtually neck and neck, statistically speaking. Again, I'm not trying to criticize Ribery but if Costa had been the starter this year and Ribery the substitute I'm not sure we'd be in any worse a position than we are right now. Honestly, for me, if we get knocked out of the UCL anytime soon, I'd go ahead and pencil in Costa and Coman as the starters for the rest of the season. Without the UCL, might as well get them as much time as possible to develop for the future.

In whatever case I think this was poor form on Costa's part (though, it does seem that he acknowledges Bayern are in charge and will have the final say, so that's good i guess). Really, it just seems like a stupid way of saying "play me more" than a transfer demand. But this does hit at the bigger issue. Bayern must, MUST come to terms with the fact that Ribery, Robben, Alonso, Lahm, etc don't have that much time left. We are woefully underprepared for their departure, especially at winger. *If* Costa were to force a move, what then? At this rate, we are going to have our hand forced and be stuck overpaying for someone to jump in immediately at winger. We aren't going to have any time for a 'project' or someone to develop.....
Which might not be the worst thing in the world, I guess.

Anyways, like I said, I'm not the most pleased with how Costa has went about doing things (though I do believe he should be playing much more often) but I am glad because I think it will force the team to take more seriously the reality that Robbery is almost done at FCB.
aterford
I'm a post king!

Postby aterford » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:17 am

envagyokazapad wrote:I don't have to see stats to know Ribery is better. Costa just doesn't have the kind of influence on games that Ribery still does.

Like I said he can't hold anybody to ransom. He's a good player to have on the squad, but that's really it - we can easily get by without him. This is why I think the statements are not actually true, he just can't be this stupid. Robbing a bank with a gun that everybody knows is empty just doesn't work.

With that said if I were on the management I would make peace with him for now, and try to keep him happy - then silently offload him at the end of the season.

That's pretty easy to say when you know whose stats are whose.
If I had presented the numbers without the player names attached I can almost guarantee you'd have assumed the better numbers were Ribery's.
aterford
I'm a post king!

Postby envagyokazapad » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:22 am

aterford wrote:
envagyokazapad wrote:I don't have to see stats to know Ribery is better. Costa just doesn't have the kind of influence on games that Ribery still does.

That's pretty easy to say when you know whose stats are whose.
If I had presented the numbers without the player names attached I can almost guarantee you'd have assumed the better numbers were Ribery's.

I would argue which stats are better.
Ribery created more than twice as many goals directly as Costa. That in itself speaks a lot.
Though I don't know your sample size.

I agree that Ribery hasn't been head and shoulders above Costa. All I'm saying is Costa is nowhere near good enough to demand anything, let alone hold anybody to ransom.
envagyokazapad
I post all the time

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:18 am

aterford wrote:For what it's worth:

Goals
Costa 3
Ribery 2

Assists
Costa 1
Ribery 7

Shots per game
Costa 1.6
Ribery 1.1

Passing Percentage
Costa 80.9
Ribery 81.9

Key Passes per game
Costa 1.8
Ribery 2.0

Successful Dribbles
Costa 2.6
Ribery 1.8

Offsides
Costa .3/game
Ribery .4/game

Dispossessed
Costa 1.2x per game
Ribery 1.7x per game

"Poor Touches" per 90
Costa 0.9
Ribery 1.4

Successful Tackles per game
Costa 0.6
Ribery 0.2

Crosses per game
Costa 1.0
Ribery 0.4

Interesting. Costa appears to be more moderate. He's worse at the good stuff and but has fewer mistakes. Moderate players don't usually win games on their own though, which is the kind of player we need
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby Larhm » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:16 pm

Costa can go to Arsenal to get all the minutes he wants and Sanchez to Bayern for all the trophies sanchez wants. Problem solved.
Larhm
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MoFattal » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:15 pm

As long as China was mentioned, it is most probably his preferred choice. A vast amount of money must have been offered to him recently for him to show this sudden change of heart. I believe it is neither the lack of playing time nor him aiming for a better contract. It is just that he received a huge financial offer to refuse.
MoFattal
2011/12 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Lebanon
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby ottackon » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:29 pm

ottackon
I live on BayernForum.com

National Flag:
Morocco

Postby MiaSanFCB » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:58 pm

I found hilarious that in the interview he said that he was considering offers from China but at the same time he mentioned winning the Ballon d'Or in the future among his goals. :lol:

He'd better focus on his performances, which have been pretty lackluster since the second part of the last season (with a couple of exceptions) to say the least, rather than talk about contracts, minutes of play and so on. He hasn't shown any signs of deserving more minutes or being better than 33-year-olds Robben and Ribery. [-X

I really hope our board don't see him as our starter winger after Robben and Ribery leave/retire.
MiaSanFCB
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Uruguay

Postby FCB general » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:41 am

Costa RAUS! EOD - end of discussion! :|
Auf geht's ihr Roten!
FCB general
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Croatia

Postby Ollio » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:07 pm

MiaSanFCB wrote:I found hilarious that in the interview he said that he was considering offers from China but at the same time he mentioned winning the Ballon d'Or in the future among his goals. :lol:

He'd better focus on his performances, which have been pretty lackluster since the second part of the last season (with a couple of exceptions) to say the least, rather than talk about contracts, minutes of play and so on. He hasn't shown any signs of deserving more minutes or being better than 33-year-olds Robben and Ribery. [-X

I really hope our board don't see him as our starter winger after Robben and Ribery leave/retire.

I read a transcription which gave me more of a impression that he wants to win the Ballon d'Or and all titles possible, and views that though he got offers he feels he can best achieve that with Bayern. And he has serious offers from China, England and France, but will only consider them objectively with Bayern's staff in the summer and wants to know Bayern's plans for him. Sorry, no source since I was on my phone and the link is long gone. Just bear in mind what Carlo said and one can't really consider transfermarket news as objective journalism, easy clicks from Prem fanboys.

I do agree with the performances. But gotta remember, same goes for Müller, Alaba and Lahm. IMO at least. So I'll be patient.
Ollio
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Finland

PreviousNext

Return to Bayern Player & Staff Discussion