You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Alphonso Davies [Alphonso Boyle Davies]

Discussions about the former / present players & staff, and their personal life. Was a player fined for speeding? Did a former player become a coach? Find it all here.

Re: Alphonso Davies

Postby nm462272 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:58 pm

really like this guy... he's shown glimpses of what he can do, and it will be interesting to see how he develops over the next few seasons. Hopefully the coach (Kovac or someone else) will give him a lot of game time next season [-o<
Des interessiert mi ois ned, der Scheißdreck. Weltmeister samma! Den Pott hamma! Den scheiß goldener Schuh kannst da hinter d’Ohr’n schmiern! - Mia San Mia

Euer Hass ist unser Stolz!
nm462272
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby ramsej84 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:25 pm

nm462272 wrote:really like this guy... he's shown glimpses of what he can do, and it will be interesting to see how he develops over the next few seasons. Hopefully the coach (Kovac or someone else) will give him a lot of game time next season [-o<

and stays healthy [-o<
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby DRvad14 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:14 pm

Bayern Munich's Alphonso Davies: "My time will come"
Alphonso Davies admits he is still adapting at Bayern Munich, but the Canadian teenager says he is improving all the time and is confident more first-team minutes will come his way.

Davies, 18, has made five substitute Bundesliga appearances since joining Bayern from Vancouver Whitecaps in January. The nine-time Canada international winger has also turned out for the Bayern reserve team in Germany's fourth tier - a yo-yoing learning curve he believes is all part of the process of becoming a better player.

"Every game I play, no matter how big or small, I just try to give my all in everything I do," Davies told Bayern's official club website. "Obviously it’s different when you walk in the stadium and you see 75,000 people compared to 700, but as soon as that whistle blows, football is football, you just want to play and have fun.

"I don’t see it as a negative thing [playing in a lower league]. Most of the players here, for example [Philipp] Lahm and [David] Alaba, played for the second team. It’s a transition you have to go through being a young player, get some minutes, you don’t expect to play every single game at that level in the Bundesliga. My time will come, I’m being patient."Although Davies has only clocked up 56 minutes of Bundesliga action to date, the Ghana-born midfielder has already written his name into the history books. He scored with his first ever shot in Germany's top-flight in Bayern's crushing 6-0 victory over Mainz on Matchday 26, in turn becoming the first Canadian to play and score for Bayern, and the first person born after 2000 to find the net for the record champions.

"Wow! I was speechless, I didn’t know what to say when I scored," Davies recalled. "I tried to do the Arjen Robben sliding on my knees. Before I was actually watching him and just how amazing he is still. I saw one of the videos where he slid on his knees and I thought I wanted to try that, as a kid looking up to one of your role models, and I tried it. Hopefully there are more to goals to come."

Davies has not played since due to a knee ligament injury sustained in the aftermath to his landmark goal, but has been putting in the hours at Bayern's Säbener Straße training base and was back in the first-team squad for the Matchday 29 win at Fortuna Düsseldorf.

"As a young footballer, it’s not easy to come from Canada and then try to play in one of the best teams in the world," he admitted. "It takes time, especially at a young age. It takes a lot of patience to be able to play. Yeah, you’re going to make mistakes but the players just tell me, 'make 100 mistakes but we know you’re learning. You learn from your mistakes'."At "one of the best clubs in the world", Davies is in safe hands. He admits to being like a kid in a sweet shop when he first arrived in Munich, but is now more accustomed to his star-studded surroundings, where he is able to learn from the very players he grew up wanting to emulate.

"When I first walked into the locker room, the first person I saw was Robben – I couldn’t believe it. 'Is that really him?' So I started staring at him. I shouldn’t have done that, but I started staring at him. You know, one of your role models as a kid."

Awestruck also applies to Davies' ever-growing appreciation of midfield string-puller Thiago.

"You want to learn from everyone, but I think one of the main guys I look up to is Thiago. We play different positions, but his awareness on the field, his touches, everything about him is so calm. He’s technically gifted and amazing to watch – as a teammate and as a fan."Learn. Play. Repeat. It's a philosophy Davies has also been able to apply as much on the football pitch as he has in the classroom as he continues to wrestle with the German language.

"I think German is one of the hardest languages, but I have a good teacher, I have players around me who want me to learn the language," continued Canada's 2018 Player of the Year. "They tell me every time I have a chance to speak German, speak it. Don’t be shy.

"Obviously it’s not going to be perfect, the way you guys put your sentences. I’m learning sentence structure – it’s very different from English. My teacher’s helping me a lot, we usually have an hour or half an hour every day. I want to learn it."

DRvad14
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
India
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby longeleven » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:35 am

nm462272 wrote:really like this guy... he's shown glimpses of what he can do, and it will be interesting to see how he develops over the next few seasons. Hopefully the coach (Kovac or someone else) will give him a lot of game time next season [-o<

He and Jeong need to be loaned next year, play in another medium Bundesliga team to get game time. They have potential but at the moment, their level still far away for alongside Lewandowski or Thiago.
They need game time, as well as Sanches. :cry:
Loan them all [-o<
longeleven
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby JJJ » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:09 am

With Kovac he won't make it here.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk
Früchtl
Hummels, Badstuber, Alaba
Schöpf, Kroos, Can, Contento
Müller, Wagner, Zirkzee

JJJ
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Estonia

Postby YlonenXabi » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:47 pm

What a nice interview. I liked all what he said

He seems like a cool and humble hard working boy who can appreciate talent and good football. Good to see him mentioning players like Thiago or Robben
YlonenXabi

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Nulis-vienas » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:42 am

JJJ wrote:With Kovac he won't make it here.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

yep. get that frankfurt coach or werder guy. some may take this as a joke, but I'd happily have van gaal back. just kick niko out
my messages on 4chan, all google and facebook platforms and reddit are displayed to me as if they were successfullly posted but viewing from other devices they're not there
Nulis-vienas
Getting the hang of it

Years of membership

Postby IsiahRashad » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:56 pm

IsiahRashad

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Bulgaria

Postby IsiahRashad » Mon May 27, 2019 7:27 pm

Alphonso Davies "will be excellent at Bayern one day," vows Uli Hoeness [source]

"Alphonso Davies wrapped up his first season with Bayern Munich in hectic – and festive – fashion over the weekend, celebrating the first team’s triumph in the DFB-Pokal (German Cup) final in Berlin before jetting back to Munich in time to help the reserve team mount an incredible comeback victory over their Wolfsburg counterparts on Sunday to win promotion to the German third division.

Pro Soccer USA’s Manuel Veth caught up with the Vancouver Whitecaps Homegrown product to discuss his busy close to the campaign, and even had a few words with Bayern’s president, Uli Hoeness, about the young Canadian international.

“Davies is a great lad, who I like a lot,” said Hoeness. “He is developing and I am 100 percent sure that with him, we have a player who will be excellent at Bayern one day.”

Davies saw scant playing time in Bundesliga action this spring as he adapted to life with the Bavarian giants (and dealt with a knee injury that kept him out of Canadian national team duty). Yet he’s still a member of the squad and took part in the joy of their twin trophies this season, first hoisting the Meisterschale (league title) and on Saturday capturing the DFB Cup with a 3-0 win over Tyler Adams and RB Leipzig.

“It has been good, obviously, to get to play,” said Davies, who now shifts into CanMNT mode for this summer's Gold Cup. “I am leaving on a high winning two trophies, helping [Bayern II] win. I am just happy I can help in any way.”"
IsiahRashad

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Bulgaria

Postby IsiahRashad » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:08 pm

In order to get more time and fully develop his talent at Bayern, the Bayern bosses have considered converting Alphonso Davies into a left-back in the future to become David Alaba's backup with whom he gets along very well and learn from him [TZ]
IsiahRashad

National Flag:
Bulgaria

Postby Dumbledore7 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:57 pm

This is great. I can only see him as left back if he wants to make it at this level.
Dumbledore7
I live on BayernForum.com

National Flag:
Indonesia

Postby aterford » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:50 pm

Interestingly I was hearing today also that apparently that when the club was trying to convince Phonzie to join they mentioned him playing at LB/LWB in a 3-5-2 or similar. Wonder if that's still on the table.

Either way, I feel about Davies the way I used to feel about Kimmich.

Before Kimmich was really established as an RB, it was still ultra-clear that he had just gobs of talent. I am of the mind that there are certain talents that you just have to get on the pitch, wherever they can fit. And I'm also of the opinion that at a young age it's more important to consistently play than it is to be in your 'preferred' position or even one single role. With Kimmich, at the time, I thought he had lots of potential at CM, but an easier path onto the pitch at RB, so I liked him playing at RB as it simply got him on the pitch. Figured he'd play there and perhaps transition into CM later on (and maybe that's still in the cards, who knows). As it turns out, he's now looking like one of the best RBs in the world, and just an okay or above-average midfielder. So that really got turned around.

I'm hoping the same for Phonzie. He probably prefers LW and that's where my gut sees him, but he's also one of those players that's talented enough that I just wanna see him play and I think that's what's best for his development. So like with Kimmich... even though RB might not have been his most 'natural' or preferred position, I think LB/LWB (though it might not be Davies' "most natural" or preferred position) could ultimately turn out to be a.) his quickest path on to the pitch or b.) his best position when all is said and done....or both!
#BigFlickEnergy
aterford
I'm a post king!

Postby #12 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:05 pm

With Alaba here and barely injured and Coman spending less time on the field than Hoeness, his chances of playing LW are a hundred times higher....
Summer 2020: Hasan, show us your weakness!!
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

Postby rthebest » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:12 pm

As long as Kovac is in charge there is no hope for younger players to improve.
rthebest
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Canada

Postby YlonenXabi » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:39 pm

rthebest wrote:As long as Kovac is in charge there is no hope for younger players to improve.

This.

And no hope for major tactical variations either.

I don't think Davies can become a solid LB in a near future because he will barely get any playing time and he needs time to work on his defensive skills. But a formation with 3 center backs would probably benefit him.
YlonenXabi

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Spain

PreviousNext

Return to Bayern Player & Staff Discussion