You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

'Working here is certainly something special'

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

'Working here is certainly something special'

Postby FCBayernNews » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:20 pm

"Keep passing! No long balls!" Peter Hermann is standing in the thick of the action during a practice match at the stadium in Arco. "Yes, yes, super!" he will say, closely followed by a word of criticism: "Too late!" Speaking in his soft Rhineland accident, he has a comment to make about almost every move or incident. "Working at Bayern is certainly something special," he informed fcbayern.de at the Trentino training camp. "You have to adapt, because there's so much going on here. Bayern Munich is another level altogether."

Two weeks ago, Hermann took up his duties as one of head coach Jupp Heynckes' two assistants, working alongside FCB veteran Hermann Gerland. "I've been very well received," Peter Hermann commented, although the warm reception could by no means be taken for granted, as the 59-year-old spent a total of 35 near-uninterrupted years at Bayer Leverkusen, first as a player (120 Bundesliga appearances), and then as assistant coach since 1989.

Dragoslav Stepanovic, Klaus Toppmöller, Christoph Daum and Rudi Völler are just a handful of the total of 11 different head coaches Hermann has reported to in Leverkusen over the last 22 years. He only left the Rhineland for a single season, taking up the job of assistant coach to Michael Oenning in Nuremberg for the 2009/10 campaign. Hermann also had a couple of brief caretaker spells as Leverkusen head coach, but always returned to the job as number two.

Heynckes' right-hand man

Despite a number of offers to take head coaching jobs elsewhere, he was always persuaded to stay put by legendary Leverkusen general manager Reiner Calmund, Hermann revealed. "And now at my age, it's not what I want any more," he added. But despite that, he has opened a new chapter in his career by switching to Bayern.

He cites two main reasons for the decision. First, simply because it is Bayern Munich. "Obviously, we discussed it at home and everyone said: we can't deny you the chance," he related. Second, because of Jupp Heynckes, who Hermann has grown to know and admire over the last two seasons with Bayer. "It was a perfect partnership and we've become friends. We complement each other perfectly," Heynckes confirms.

Praise from all sides

Heynckes, who faced Hermann as a player back in the 1970s, has nothing but praise for his assistant, describing him as competent, hard-working, determined and passionate about football: "I think he's a good fit with Bayern Munich." Those words were echoed by Toni Kroos, who worked with the new Bayern assistant boss during his loan spell with Bayer. "Peter Hermann is a top guy and a great character."

Out on the practice ground, Hermann generally takes control and gives the orders, explaining each exercise and joining Heynckes to issue corrections and instructions. "He likes to do a lot of work with the ball, so it's good fun," commented Kroos. "I always discuss the training plan with Jupp Heynckes, and we then supervise it together," Hermann explained. Just two weeks into his new job, the newcomer is hugely impressed with Bayern. "The conditions are optimal and the lads really get stuck in, which has definitely impressed me." Kroos had a compliment waiting in return: "He's the best assistant coach I've had up to now."
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News