You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

With a striker's instinct: Markus Babbel and the all-importa

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

With a striker's instinct: Markus Babbel and the all-importa

Postby FCBayernNews » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:45 am

Markus Babbel wore Bayern colours for a total of 17 years (1981-92, 1994-2000), first as a youth player and later with the first team. During this time, the former defender won three league titles, the UEFA Cup in 1996 and the two DFB Cups. The 47-year-old still fondly remembers his first cup title win, on 16 May 1998.

Markus Babbel on the "game of my life" 

A special moment: On 16 May 1998, Markus Babbel lifted the DFB Cup high into the Berlin sky for the first time. Two years later he was able to repeat the feat once more.

Incredible atmosphere in Berlin 

Berlin's Olympic Stadium once again provided an impressive backdrop for the final between FC Bayern against MSV Duisburg.

Bayern struggle at the start

A shock moment: Duisburg striker Bachirou Salou left Lothar Matthäus for dead in the 20th minute and broke the deadlock in favour of MSV.

Defender Babbel dazzles as goalscorer

After a header by Giovane Élber the ball landed in front of Markus Babbel's feet. The defender didn't hesitate and stuck the ball in the net to level the scores. It was Babbel's second and last goal in the DFB Cup.

The first DFB cup win

Coveted trophy: Markus Babbel (in the middle, behind the cup) marvels at the shiny DFB Cup together with his teammates (from left) Dietmar Hamann, Christian Nerlinger, Oliver Kahn and Sammy Kuffour.

"Mario Basler then scored the winner to make it 2-1 thanks to a free-kick. At the end of the match, I was able to hold the DFB Cup in my hands for the first time. That was also a degree of personal satisfaction, because at that time I was often the brunt of criticism - and it was nice to be praised for once instead."

The cup final was also Giovanni Trapattoni's last game as coach of FC Bayern. On 17 March he celebrated his 81st birthday: 
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News