You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

‘We should have wrapped it up earlier’

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

‘We should have wrapped it up earlier’

Postby FCBayernNews » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:55 pm

“We did everything we could to win the match,” Pep Guardiola said after an unlucky Supercup defeat away to VfL Wolfsburg. The men from Munich led until the 89th minute but conceded an equaliser and then lost the ensuing penalty shootout 5-4. “We played well but unfortunately dropped our guard in the last minute,” commented Manuel Neuer, “it’s an infuriating defeat.” Jérôme Boateng offered a crisp analysis: “It’s unfortunate and a shame, but I think we have plenty to build on.”

Reaction to Wolfsburg v Bayern

Pep Guardiola: “Obviously the Bundesliga, cup and Champions League are more important but a trophy is a trophy. It’s a shame. We did well and made chances. All my players battled away and covered lots of ground. We had plenty of chances. We did everything we could to win the match, but congratulations to Wolfsburg, who also did very well.”

Philipp Lahm: “We missed our chance to wrap it up and we’ve been punished at the end.”

Manuel Neuer: “We played well but unfortunately dropped our guard in the last minute. It’s an infuriating defeat. We had Wolfsburg under control, we had more of the play and were the better team.”

Arjen Robben: “I’m disappointed. That’s football, it can all change in a minute. We have to look very critically at ourselves, because we should have wrapped it up earlier. We had chances and at 2-0 it would have been all over.”

Jérôme Boateng: “We shouldn’t be conceding right at the end, but overall we can be pleased with our performance. We were the better team, we bossed the play, we had chances and should have killed the game. It’s unfortunate and a shame, but I think we have plenty to build on.”

Dieter Hecking (Wolfsburg coach): “It was a really terrific, high-paced Supercup match. Bayern had one or two clear-cut chances and more opportunities overall. But all in all it was a good game from my team.”

Kevin de Bruyne (Wolfsburg): “We tried everything we could to score. It wasn’t bad at all from both teams. We enjoyed a bit of luck at the end.”
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: ‘We should have wrapped it up earlier’

Postby RedQueen » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:52 am

FCBayernNews wrote:Philipp Lahm: “We missed our chance to wrap it up and we’ve been punished at the end.”

Manuel Neuer: “We played well but unfortunately dropped our guard in the last minute. It’s an infuriating defeat. We had Wolfsburg under control, we had more of the play and were the better team.”

Arjen Robben: “I’m disappointed. That’s football, it can all change in a minute. We have to look very critically at ourselves, because we should have wrapped it up earlier. We had chances and at 2-0 it would have been all over.”

Jérôme Boateng: “We shouldn’t be conceding right at the end, but overall we can be pleased with our performance. We were the better team, we bossed the play, we had chances and should have killed the game. It’s unfortunate and a shame, but I think we have plenty to build on.”

That's a rather one-sided description of the game. It's not like Wolfsburg didn't have chances not taken. De Bruyne and the empty goal... game could have gone Wolfsburg's way much earlier if he hadn't missed that one.
Last edited by RedQueen on Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!" - Red Queen, Alice - Through the Looking-Glass
RedQueen
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby ramsej84 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:42 am

I really hate our players' comments after a defeat or an unexpected draw... they are always arrogant so say the least...
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Badger » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:48 am

RedQueen wrote:
FCBayernNews wrote:Philipp Lahm: “We missed our chance to wrap it up and we’ve been punished at the end.”

That's a rather one-sided description of the game. It's not like Wolfsburg didn't have chances not taken. De Bruyne and the empty goal... game could have been gone Wolfsburg's way much earlier if he hadn't missed that one.

Better media sources like Kicker seem to agree with the Bayern players' views: Bayern had the greater control and looked the better team, but didn't do enough to seal it.

Unfortunately, I couldn't see it live - had to watch "Mr Popper's Penguins" and generally entertain 4yo an 6yo grandchildren - but I'm downloading it to watch later today.

My main consolation around the defeat is that the win may help persuade De Bruyne to stay. Bayern need a team to push them domestically, and Wolfsburg are good candidates for that - but only if they can keep De Bruyne.
"Wherever that man went, he went gratefully."
--------- Attributed to Seamus Heaney ---------
Badger
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Northern Ireland
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member

Postby RedQueen » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:18 am

Badger wrote:Better media sources like Kicker seem to agree with the Bayern players' views: Bayern had the greater control and looked the better team, but didn't do enough to seal it.

We probably were the better team overall, more so in the first half than in the second. But it still wasn't as one-sided as the players are implying. Wolfsburg did have their chances as well, and De Bruyne in particular had a 1000 percent chance and absolutely should have scored. What would have happened then is a different question alltogether. Also the 1-0 probably wouldn't have been a goal with Benaglio available.

E:
Match stats WOB:FCB per Whoscored
Total Shots 14:13
Shots on Target 7:1
Pass Success 78%:84%
Aerial Success 61%:39%
Dribbles 13:15
Tackles 7:6
"Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!" - Red Queen, Alice - Through the Looking-Glass
RedQueen
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby Badger » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:28 pm

RedQueen wrote:
Badger wrote:Better media sources like Kicker seem to agree with the Bayern players' views: Bayern had the greater control and looked the better team, but didn't do enough to seal it.

We probably were the better team overall, more so in the first half than in the second. But it still wasn't as one-sided as the players are implying. Wolfsburg did have their chances as well, and De Bruyne in particular had a 1000 percent chance and absolutely should have scored. What would have happened then is a different question alltogether. Also the 1-0 probably wouldn't have been a goal with Benaglio available.

E:
Match stats WOB:FCB per Whoscored
Total Shots 14:13
Shots on Target 7:1
Pass Success 78%:84%
Aerial Success 61%:39%
Dribbles 13:15
Tackles 7:6

Thanks for including those statistics. Statistics are of varying value - some are clear and useful indicators, while others are worthless. That 7-1 shots on target is one that can hardly be ignored. Only one Bayern shot on target! It worries me a bit. I must bear it in mind as I watch the match to see how bad things were.
"Wherever that man went, he went gratefully."
--------- Attributed to Seamus Heaney ---------
Badger
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Northern Ireland

Postby MoFattal » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:50 pm

Things weren't as bad as the stats suggest. Our problem was not in the shot itself, but more with the final touch/pass leading to the shot. We had quite a few good runs into their box, but the final touch failed us. On a good day, it would have been 3-4 goals scored. As for Wolfsburg, they had pretty decent shouts for goal as well. De Bruyne was very close, and so was Dost. Other than that, their shots were random.
MoFattal
2011/12 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Lebanon
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Return to Official FC Bayern News