You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

'We need to take a good look at ourselves'

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

'We need to take a good look at ourselves'

Postby FCBayernNews » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:30 pm

It was a long night in the Klinsmann household on Saturday. The Bayern boss reviewed his side's 5-1 defeat in Wolfsburg in its entirety, pausing the DVD to analyse each of the goals conceded by his team "ten or fifteen times," he revealed to FCB.tv. What he saw gave cause for concern. "It was déjà-vu. We again lacked an element of resolve," Klinsmann grimaced, acknowledging he was "angry" and "bitterly upset".

However, there was no need for raised voices in Sunday morning's team talk. "It was calm, but pointed," Klinsmann reported after running through the previous day's errors. "The clear message was for everyone to go home and take a good look at himself. Every player needs to look in the mirror and ask whether he gave his all for Bayern Munich."

"The alarm bells are ringing," the head coach admitted in the wake of his side's heaviest defeat of the season. Bayern are down to fourth in the Bundesliga standings, with the associated danger of missing out on qualification for next term's Champions League. "I urgently need everyone to grasp what's at stake here: the whole of the year 2009 for Bayern, the future of the club," the coach declared.

Desire and mental strength

Klinsmann's fear is that last season's domestic double has caused the players to focus too heavily on the Champions League, to the detriment of the bread-and-butter of the Bundesliga. "We can't allow this, it would be fatal," Klinsmann warned, demanding a return to "resolve and sacrifice" in the league, qualities the team has shown in abundance in European competition.

"It's purely a question of desire," continued Klinsmann, "I see this desire in every Champions League match, and also in plenty of Bundesliga games, but not all of them. That's why we're three points off the leaders." The team now in top spot is VfL Wolfsburg, although the champions were more than a match for the Wolves for a good hour on Saturday. Christian Genter (44) and Luca Toni (45) traded goals at the end of a tight first half to make it 1-1 at half-time.

Four goals in fifteen minutes

"The first half was excellent, and Uli Hoeneß and I were still feeling good early in the second," reported Klinsmann. However, "fatal, individual errors" let in on-fire Wolves strikers Edin Dzeko (63, 65) and Grafite (74, 77) to score four goals in a devastating 15-minute spell. "The goals we let in had nothing to do with tactics or positioning. It was purely down to concentration, discipline and the willingness to go the extra yard," said Klinsmann, "I'm unbelievably angry."

The FCB boss complained bitterly at his team's inability to respond in adversity. "What made me really angry was the way the team gave up at 3-1 down," he raged, "you have to fight through the agony and the pain, even when it's a bad day and your legs are heavy."

No fear of Barcelona

Klinsmann will now expect the right response from his men in both the Champions League and the Bundesliga over the next seven days. "The players need to be aware there'll be consequences at some point," he warned. "At the end of the season, we'll sit down with every player and ask: What's he given on behalf of Bayern Munich football club?"

The coach and his men now turn to the Champions League and the quarter-final first leg away to Barcelona. Despite the weekend mishap, Klinsmann remains upbeat about his team's chances in Catalonia. "I'm not scared of Barcelona," he insisted, "my players know the world will be watching. They'll want to prove themselves and show what they can do." Klinsmann then expects exactly the same attitude three days later, when FCB entertain Eintracht Frankfurt in the Bundesliga.
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: 'We need to take a good look at ourselves'

Postby MrLinky » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:14 am

Finally Klinsmann is clearly speaking out his mind and is taking a firm stand , there have even been some harsher statements by him but apparently some of them weren't translated and weren't put on the website. It can't go on like this , no more excuses for the players ! That was pure refusal of work by certain individuals in the second half , it wasn't the first time this season and there have to be consequences.
MrLinky
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News