You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

'We need to be where we were in 2010'

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

'We need to be where we were in 2010'

Postby FCBayernNews » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:30 pm

At 37, Jörg Butt is the most senior member of the Bayern squad, but he is still burning with desire, as quickly became clear when he spoke of his 16th and last season as a pro. The player told fcbayern.de he is desperate for honours before taking up his new duties as youth coordinator at the club. The keeper also spoke of the opening day defeat, Saturday's trip to Wolfsburg, his role in the dressing room, and quitting the pro game.

Interview: Jörg Butt

fcbayern.de: Jörg, did you know this is the first time you've been on the losing side in the first league fixture in all your 16 seasons as a pro?
Jörg Butt: All I knew was that until Saturday, I'd never lost to Gladbach.

b>Are you still disappointed about defeat in the opening Bundesliga fixture?[/b]
Yes, I'm still extremely disappointed. We started at home against opponents who stayed in the top flight by the skin of their teeth last season. We've very clearly set out our targets for the season, but to win the Bundesliga, you need to win practically all your home matches, so it was quite a setback really.

What went wrong against Gladbach last Saturday?
We can't turn around now and say we were surprised Gladbach made life so difficult for us. The match was basically as we expected - and we need to be aware that at least 15 of the 17 visiting teams in the Bundesliga will approach the game in exactly the same way. So we have to come up with a plan of how to beat defensively-minded teams. We need a little more determination in everything we do, both up front and at the back.

Manuel Neuer was quick to accept responsibility for Gladbach's goal. What was your take on the situation?
There's no point raking over specific moments after a match like that, because we didn't lose it in just one incident. You'll always get mistakes, and that wasn't our only mistake against Gladbach. We've managed neither to keep a clean sheet nor to score, so every player has to take a share of the responsibility.

Thinking about the goal Bayern conceded, how difficult is a situation like that for the goalkeeper?
Lots of people think a keeper is at his best when he claws the ball off the line before it goes in at the corner, but often, those are the easy saves. It's much more difficult to judge when it's right to come out to a long, bouncing ball. The Gladbach goalkeeper will almost never face that situation, because they had two lines of four stationed just in front of their own penalty area. It's different for Bayern. We usually play with both centre-backs near the halfway line, so the keeper has to cover practically the whole of his own half. And if the keeper does decide to come, he has to get the ball, which is much easier said than done. I could just as easily say a striker has to put away every chance he gets.

Your next opponents are Wolfsburg. Is that now more difficult than it would otherwise have been?
We go into every Bundesliga fixture expected to win, so we're under pressure in all 34 matches. However, the pressure is obviously even greater now. We simply have to get back to where we were in 2010, when we reached the Champions League final. Everyone could see there was a real unit out on the field, with every player fighting for every other, and where finding solutions wasn't just the coach's job. Things like set plays are something the team is perfectly capable of discussing for itself, for example.

As the most experienced player, do you actively join in that kind of conversation?
We do sit down and have this kind of chat. Most of the lads are a great deal younger than me, but many of them boast huge experience and are developing all the time, to the extent of recognising it's not enough just to turn up to training and do everything the coach tells you. You have to take the initiative yourself sometimes, and we have plenty of players prepared to do that, although you obviously take on more and more of a leadership role as time goes by.

Over the last three years, you've generally been first-choice keeper at Bayern, but that mantle has now passed to Manuel Neuer, with you as his understudy. Has that been difficult for you?
People always talk about a number one and number two goalkeeper, but at the start of the season, the point is not to decide in advance who'll play more often. The point is to come to the end of the season having won as many trophies as possible for the club. So I'm here to help the team. If I was to set a target of playing every match no matter what it takes, I'd have gone somewhere else earlier in the summer. But in my opinion, and in so many respects, there's no better club than Bayern. As everyone knows, I'm staying here after I hang up my gloves.

Will you really finish playing at the end of the season?
Yes, that's what I'm assuming, although you can never rule anything out in this game.

Have you set any personal targets for your last season as a pro? A specific number of appearances, or scoring a goal, for example?
No, I'm not bothered about improving my career stats. As I've said, I could have switched club one last time and played for some mid-table club, but that's not for me any more. My goal is to keep playing for as long as possible at the highest level, and win more trophies. I have that possibility here at Bayern. I'm enjoying chasing trophies one last time. We won nothing last season, but I'm convinced we'll be considerably more successful this term.

What's it like being the senior member of the squad? Do the kids have the nerve to make the occasional gag at your expense?
It's all part of the game, and that's what I'll probably miss most at first after I finish playing: the dressing room banter, the gags, the relationships within the team. A bit of fun is all part of it.
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: 'We need to be where we were in 2010'

Postby Aequitas1987 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:32 am

As the most experienced player, do you actively join in that kind of conversation?
We do sit down and have this kind of chat. Most of the lads are a great deal younger than me, but many of them boast huge experience and are developing all the time, to the extent of recognising it's not enough just to turn up to training and do everything the coach tells you. You have to take the initiative yourself sometimes, and we have plenty of players prepared to do that, although you obviously take on more and more of a leadership role as time goes by.

Brilliant ! =D>
SoStronk.com
Aequitas1987
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
India
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Re: 'We need to be where we were in 2010'

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:20 am

FCBayernNews wrote:All I knew was that until Saturday,

FCBayernNews wrote:What went wrong against Gladbach last Saturday?

I thought we played Gladbach on Sunday :lol:
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Return to Official FC Bayern News