You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

'We'll go a long way in all competitions'

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

'We'll go a long way in all competitions'

Postby FCBayernNews » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:20 pm

At the age of 22, Thomas Müller is just setting out as a footballer, but in the two-and-a-half years since his breakthrough with Bayern, he has finished as World Cup top scorer, contested the Champions League final, and won the Bundesliga. However, the Bavarian native still has his feet firmly on the ground, and his ready wit is as sharp as ever. At the winter training camp in Doha, the Germany international sat down for a long chat with fcbayern.de, reviewing the season so far, discussing his best position, and looking ahead to the second half of the campaign, as Bayern chase silverware on three fronts.

Interview: Thomas Müller

fcbayern.de: Thomas, you're here in Qatar with Bayern for the second time, but it's the first time you've lodged in the hotel overlooking the practice ground. Do you like it here?
Thomas Müller: The facility is perfect. You could play golf on the football pitches, and the hotel is superb. It's right next to the training ground and there are no bus transfers, so it's perfect!

What's the real value of this kind of training camp?
In the first place, we all have to be fully fit. We hardly get to work on fitness during the season because there are so many matches, so while we're here, we have to lay the foundations for a successful second half of the campaign. And it's also not at all bad for team spirit, although we have plenty of that in any case. We talk a lot and play cards.

Did anyone bring a PlayStation?
Oh, I don't know. I'll have to ask around, but I wouldn't rule it out, as it's something we've seen often enough at training camps.

Turning to the football, Bastian Schweinsteiger is back after recovering from a broken collarbone.
It's very important, as we all know. Everyone saw he was in terrific form, and we missed him before Christmas. Fortunately, we recovered from a bad patch and all in all, it was a good first half of the season. But obviously we're delighted he's back.

What's your impression of him at the moment?
I can see no difference to the Basti he was before his injury (laughs).

As for you, you played nearly every game in the Bundesliga, DFB Cup and Champions League from August to December. Were you in need of the brief Christmas holiday?
It was very relaxing and I enjoyed it. After such an intense six months, it's very important to switch off once in a while.

Did you spend any time at home with your family in Pähl [in upper Bavaria]?
Yes, for one day, but I basically spent the break away on vacation. Christmas at home doesn't offer much peace and quiet.

Nowadays, you're instantly recognisable on the streets, and people want snapshots and autographs. Does it irritate you from time to time?
Irritate is the wrong word. It's occasionally a challenge, because people expect you to be good-humoured all the time and have no problems at all away from football. But that's how it is, and we professionals have to live with it. And basically, you want to be photographed, because it means you're successful!

You only have two Bundesliga goals to your name this season. How would you assess the campaign so far?
We've enjoyed ourselves as a team, although I should have scored a couple more. I have only myself to blame. I never got into a groove, and I was a little unlucky in a couple of situations. But it won't knock me out of my stride.

You've generally appeared on the right flank this season, after spending most of last term behind the striker. Which do you prefer?
I'm a little more at home in the hole behind the front man. I get more shots away, and I'm closer to goal. Also, I'm more of a passing player, and not a typical winger capable of beating three men. However, I have no problem playing out wide. I'll always do what's best for the team.

The Bundesliga restart fixture is a top-of-the-table clash away to Mönchengladbach on 20 January. What can FCB fans expect from the team in the first five months of 2012?
Just thinking about our squad, I have a very good feeling. We hold all the trump cards in the Bundesliga. I'm convinced we'll go a long way in all competitions, ideally right to the end.

That would mean a place in the Champions League final, which is of course in Munich...
Obviously, that's a huge target. Two years ago, we demonstrated we have the potential to make it. And we all know it's happened before: two years after losing a final, Bayern came back and won it. But it's all just dreams at the moment. I'm realistic enough to admit it'll be the most difficult trophy to win.
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: 'We'll go a long way in all competitions'

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:07 pm

FCBayernNews wrote:Did anyone bring a PlayStation?
Oh, I don't know. I'll have to ask around, but I wouldn't rule it out, as it's something we've seen often enough at training camps.

Probably Robben... just in case... (I won't say it)
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby MUTU » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:11 am

FCBayernMunchen wrote:
FCBayernNews wrote:Did anyone bring a PlayStation?

Probably Robben... just in case... (I won't say it)

LOL! I wonder if Breno would have time to burn it up for him before he gets to using it :mrgreen:
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:59 pm

MUTU wrote:LOL! I wonder if Breno would have time to burn it up for him before he gets to using it

Good one :lol:
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Return to Official FC Bayern News