You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

'We'll do everything we can to win a trophy'

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

'We'll do everything we can to win a trophy'

Postby FCBayernNews » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:00 pm

The FCB.tv studios welcomed a VIP guest on Thursday afternoon. Louis van Gaal dropped by to talk about his new book, but during preparations for the interview, the head coach's attention was drawn elsewhere. He stared intently out of the studio window to where assistant coaches Andries Jonker and Hermann Gerland were supervising a training session. There was nothing to criticise there - but naturally, Van Gaal is not entirely happy with much of what has happened with his team out on the football field so far this season.

Seven games into the campaign, Bayern are 12th in the standings, fully 13 points behind leaders Mainz. None of the key figures at the club has minced words of late: after some straight talk from Uli Hoeneß and Karl-Heinz Rummenigge earlier in the week, director of sport Christian Nerlinger followed suit in the pages of kicker magazine: "We have our backs to the wall. Every game now is death or gladioli, every slip-up reduces our chances of the title. We need a winning run right through until 22 December. There's nothing for it but to win."

Van Gaal is hoping a start will be made when Hannover come to visit in nine days' time. The boss has by no means given up on the league title yet. "It's still realistic. We have only three points fewer than last season," he pointed out, "I can't promise a trophy. But I can promise we'll do everything we can to win one."

Lessons of 74-75

However, the 59-year-old is aware of the 1974-5 campaign, when Bayern won both the league and the European Cup the season before, and sent a host of players to the summer World Cup. FCB finished the season in tenth. "A World Cup and a successful campaign do have an effect on the following season," Van Gaal stated.

Mentioning 74-75 was not intended as an excuse but as a warning, he continued. "I myself, all the coaching and medical staff, and above all the players, will do everything we can to avoid it happening again," he said. Plenty of work on the training ground will be the key - but for the time being, that is simply impossible.

More theory than practice

"I only have Ottl, Braafheid, Butt and Kraft here, and they're training with the reserves," the coach reported. Thirteen players are away on international duty, and seven are injured. Much of the preparatory work for Hannover will be "verbal rather than physical," and can only start in the middle of next week, "but training is always better."

Despite that, a win next time out is a must. "I think the coach and the team will use the next few days well," commented Hoeneß. "We're not going to be top at Christmas, but we'd like to get within range before then, so we can attack with a full-strength team in the second half of the season," the club president summarised.
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News