You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Versatile display by reserve goalie Kraft

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Versatile display by reserve goalie Kraft

Postby FCBayernNews » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:00 pm

Thomas Kraft has recently been promoted to number two keeper at Bayern, but his first serious outing of the new season combined a spell between the sticks with a period some way in front of them. Due to an acute shortage of manpower at the training camp in Trentino, the 22-year-old spent a half of the 5-1 friendly win over a regional select XI as an outfield player.

After 45 minutes spent virtually as a spectator in his regular position, with just one save to make a couple of minutes before the break, Kraft was switched to centre-half by Louis van Gaal at half-time. The goalie turned in a very decent performance in the unfamiliar role, being caught out just once when a cross sailed just over his head and found a striker ghosting in behind him for the home side's 58th-minute consolation strike.

However, the solid display as a makeshift stopper was not really a surprise. Kraft has plenty of experience as an outfield player, as he explained on Friday, the day after his birthday. "At the winter training camp in Dubai, there was a day when we didn't have enough for 11-a-side in training, so the coach asked if I could play outfield. I obviously did quite well, because I've always been asked to help out since then if we need to make up the numbers."

At his home town club of SF Daaden, Thomas used to play up front. "I was always good for a goal," he explained with a grin. Van Gaal tried out Kraft at right-back in last Friday's practice match. "But there's so much running involved. And the field opens up in front of you in any case, so I'd rather play in the centre."

Naturally, a run-out or two at centre-half is arguably enormously helpful for a goalkeeper. Van Gaal's keepers are required "not just to make saves," but to act as "the eleventh outfield player, who spends a lot of his time on preventative work," as the coach recently stated. The job of the centre-half in a back four is not so dissimilar.

However, Kraft is clearly aiming to make the grade as a goalkeeper. He says he has the boss's assurances that he will benefit from playing time with the seniors this term, but he will otherwise continue to appear for the reserves, "so I gain match practice." He has clear goals in mind: "I want to play at the highest possible level, as soon as possible." For preference, that would mean the Bundesliga.
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Versatile display by reserve goalie Kraft

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:29 pm

FCBayernNews wrote:He says he has the boss's assurances that he will benefit from playing time with the seniors this term

That's interesting...
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Return to Official FC Bayern News