You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Van Gaal's praise for versatile Badstuber

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Van Gaal's praise for versatile Badstuber

Postby FCBayernNews » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:00 pm

Pranjic, Pranjic, Braafheid, Pranjic, Braafheid, Pranjic, Lahm, Braafheid, Braafheid, Pranjic, Braafheid. Those are the men who played at left-back for Bayern in the first eleven Bundesliga matches of the season. New signings Edson Braafheid and Danijel Pranjic had five turns each, with Philipp Lahm doing the honours away to Hamburg. The vice-captain's only other appearance on the left was the Champions League clash in Bordeaux.

For the most recent game, at home to Schalke 04, Van Gaal sprang a surprise in the position. Neither Pranjic, nor Braafheid, nor indeed Lahm took the slot on the left of the back four. The man chosen for the job was Holger Badstuber. For the very first time in his career, the Germany U-21 international played at left-back - and earned glowing praise from his boss into the bargain. "I saw an outstanding left-sided defender today," Van Gaal commented after the draw with Schalke.

"The coach came to me and asked if I could play there. I told him that I believe in myself. Van Gaal explained a few things, and it wasn't a problem after that," Badstuber told the tz in the wake of his personal premiere. He was substituted after 64 minutes, "but that was because a muscle went tight," he revealed. Badstuber recovered swiftly and joined up with his country's U-21 squad at the start of this week.

Until the substitution, he had not missed a minute of any game in the Bundesliga and Champions League. During Martin Demichelis' lengthy lay-off with injury at the start of the campaign, Badstuber was first-choice at centre-half alongside Daniel van Buyten, performing with amazing consistency, week after week. Germany national coach Joachim Löw is reported to have the youngster on his radar already.

Although Demichelis is now fully fit and ready for the starting line-up, Van Gaal was not prepared to omit the Munich youth product from his side. "Holger has come on extremely well, both as a player and as a personality," said Van Gaal, promptly shifting the player from left-sided centre-back to left full-back. "I didn't grow up as a centre-half," Badstuber remarked, "but the main thing is that we keep it tight at the back." Aside from the free-kick which led to their goal, Schalke basically created nothing from open play last Saturday.

Van Gaal sees Badstuber the left-back as a viable option for the future. "It all depends on the internal competition. We have Braafheid as a left-sided defender, and Philipp Lahm can do the job as well," the Dutchman told fcbayern.de: "And against Schalke, Badstuber showed he can play there too. And Demichelis showed he can play as the left-sided centre-back." Van Gaal has previously preferred a naturally left-footed player in that position.

The Bayern coach certainly regards Badstuber as a regular member of the team. "He can play centre-half or full-back from now on," said Van Gaal, "and that's good, because I like versatile players who can fill more than one position." Out of interest, in his season with the Bayern reserves before stepping up to the seniors in the summer, Badstuber generally filled the holding midfield role. Holger is a truly multi-faceted young player.
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Van Gaal's praise for versatile Badstuber

Postby shileno » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:56 pm

Please fire this guy before our board thinks that Badstuber is enough for our LB position >.<

Your ass is versatile idiot, every player has his best position and they MUST remain there!

God I really hate him..
shileno
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Chile

Return to Official FC Bayern News