You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Van Gaal muses on the flip side of success

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Van Gaal muses on the flip side of success

Postby FCBayernNews » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:15 pm

Louis van Gaal has every reason to be proud. "I had 13 players at the World Cup, and eleven in the semi-finals, more than any other club in the world," the Bayern boss said on Wednesday. Mark van Bommel, Arjen Robben and Edson Braafheid featured in the Final, and rising star Thomas Müller finished as top scorer and best young player.

But there is a flip side to that coin. The group for training on Thursday morning included just nine outfield players and two goalkeepers from the senior squad. Martin Demichelis and Franck Ribéry are the first two World Cup hopefuls due back at the club, but not until after next week's training camp. Van Bommel and the other ten Dutch and German players will not resume training until 2 August, just two and a half weeks before the Bundesliga restart against VfL Wolfsburg on the 20th of the month.

"I'm repeating myself, but it's not a good pre-season," Van Gaal said. "It's a fact and we have to live with it." Furthermore, of the players who are available to train, "it's probable that only one or two might make the team for the first match," the 58-year-old said: "It's very tough."

Even after the whole squad becomes available, the programme is a demanding one, with a prestige clash against runners-up Schalke 7 August in Augsburg. "I'd like to win the Supercup, but it's practically impossible," said van Gaal. Van Bommel and Co "won't be fit to play 90 minutes."

Van Gaal displeased by FIFA date

Rubbing salt into the wound, FIFA has scheduled an international matchday four days after the Supercup. "That's nonsense," the coach complained. Van Gaal has expressed a wish for his Germany contingent to be excused duty on this occasion. "If eight Bayern players said they'd withdraw, the DFB would listen, I believe," Van Gaal reasoned, noting that the Dutch association was considering a request from its players to cancel a friendly away to Ukraine.

Whatever is decided, Van Gaal will need to fall back on his long experience. "I'm certain the coach can cope," chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge declared, "and I'm sure we'll play well and win games from the first day on. I'm optimistic, I think we'll get off the blocks well."

Relaxing holidays

Last term, FCB took just two points from their first three matches, but Van Gaal is more confident this time, as the players and their boss now know each other so well: "We start from a different level compared to last year. SThey've been trained by me for a full year, and they know what I want."

The Dutchman does not feel the World Cup contingent need to maintain their fitness during their vacation, quite the opposite in fact: "They shouldn't be training, that would be wrong. They should be relaxing. They might play some tennis or swim, but I don't want them running. We'll work on all of that once they're back."

Coach as player?

Van Gaal has, as ever, not lost his sense of humour. "This year, we have the right number of friendlies, but no players," he quipped. As he would only be able to pick from nine men for a friendly against a Trentino XI to round off the training camp, he could see himself making his Bayern debut as a player: "Obviously, it wouldn't be a problem for me, but it would be hard for my assistants," he joked.

However, he can rely on Hermann Gerland. The Tiger is still sporting a cast after Achilles tendon surgery, but no longer needs crutches. "I can't head the ball yet, but I can shoot, so it's a possibility." Members of the reserve squad, who will also attend the training camp in the Lake Garda region, will make up the numbers for the match.
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Van Gaal muses on the flip side of success

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:54 am

Lol I'd definitely love to see LVG playing. :mrgreen: :lol:
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Return to Official FC Bayern News