You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Van Buyten: We're all fired up for Arsenal

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Van Buyten: We're all fired up for Arsenal

Postby FCBayernNews » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:00 pm

Daniel van Buyten may be 35, but he is showing no obvious signs of age. In this, his seventh season at Bayern, he is his usual rock-solid self at the heart of the FCB defence. The 1.97m (6ft 5 in) Belgian colossus has started four of the five matches since the winter break and is a near-certainty for next Tuesday's Champions League clash with Arsenal.

In the build-up to the first highlight of the second half of the season, fcbayern.de spoke at length with Van Buyten about his first-ever meeting with the Gunners, FCB's outstanding defence this season, and his passion for football. "As long as I still have the desire, and as long as I remain physically fit, I'll just keep on playing," he declared.

Interview: Daniel van Buyten

fcbayern.de: First off, congratulations, Daniel! Friday's meting with Wolfsburg was your 200th Bundesliga appearance. Does the milestone mean anything to you?
Van Buyten: Thank you. Things like that are definitely special and good. You're reminded of just how long you've been around.

Manchester United legend Ryan Giggs has just added another goal to his career total - and he's 39. Is that one of your targets?
What I've always said is this: As long as I still have the desire, and as long as I remain physically fit, I'll just keep on playing. That's certainly the case at the moment. I enjoy reporting for training every day. And when you're surrounded by younger players and you have the pleasure of playing with such outstanding footballers, you just keep going, regardless of age.

You're 35 now and still playing for Bayern at the highest level. Are you conscious of how unusual that is?
I'm delighted that something my father told me has proved true: Hard work will be rewarded! I've never tried to hide, and I've always put in an honest shift. I've always gone for it, but looked after my body. Lots of careers have ended well before the age of 35 - and I'm still playing for one of the best teams in the world. I'm proud of that. A lot of my team-mates are aged between 20 and 25, and they sometimes say to me: 'It's unbelievable, the work you get through and your fitness!' Our young players are extremely good, but to perform at this level for any length of time, you have to live and work professionally. This is something I always try to get across to them.

You've seen and done a lot in your long career, but you've never faced north London giants Arsenal. How much are you looking forward to next Tuesday's match?
I can feel the excitement already, but I think that's the case for every player. Champions League football is just so special, especially when you play an English club. We're all really looking forward to it.

What sort of game are you expecting on Tuesday?
A tough one. Arsenal are one of the best teams in Europe. They have huge attacking potential, excellent individuals and they're a very good team unit. But we have plenty of quality, and we intend to show it. It'll be a great game."

You've mentioned Arsenal's attacking potential. Will this be the Bayern back four's biggest test since the winter break?
Arsenal are obviously quality. But even against teams lacking Arsenal's big name players, it's always difficult for the defence and the whole team, in Wolfsburg for example, or in Mainz. It might look easy, but a huge amount of work goes into it, lots of training, lots of communication. All the players put a huge amount into it, even when we don't have the ball. We're a compact team and we work together well - that's the key. And we'll have to work even better together against Arsenal.

Bayern have conceded only seven goals in 22 Bundesliga matches, and have won all five games since the winter break without letting in a single goal - don't you sometimes find yourself shaking your head in disbelief when you see those stats?
I think this season's team is a better unit than at any time since I joined Bayern. We've had periods of being very good, a couple of years ago for example, when we almost won the treble. But I think we're even a couple of percent better now.

Your fellow-countryman Thomas Vermaelen plays for Arsenal. Have you been in touch with him at all?
I'm really looking forward to seeing him and Poldi [former FCB striker Lukas Podolski]. I spoke to Thomas about the game a couple of weeks ago when we were on national team duty. But we've not been in touch in the build-up to the match itself.
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News