You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Van Buyten opens Bayern account at last

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Van Buyten opens Bayern account at last

Postby FCBayernNews » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:00 pm

It was Daniel van Buyten's father Francis who set his son on the way to a career in professional football, despatching the eight-year-old lad to learn the basics at a local club. Francis van Buyten remains the Belgian international's biggest fan, but also his loudest critic.

"He pulls no punches when he talks to me, even though I'm his son. It hurts a lot sometimes," Van Buyten junior recently told the <i>Sueddeutsche Zeitung</i>. However, Van Buyten senior will have had little reason to give his boy a broadside on Saturday evening. Father watched son from the Allianz Arena stands for the first time as Bayern defeated Cottbus 2-1, the winning goal perhaps inevitably coming from the head of Daniel van Buyten.

<b>Foiled by woodwork or keeper</b>

"I'm delighted I scored the winner," the 28-year-old centre-half declared following his first competitive goal for the club. The colossal defender, an ever-present in all 24 matches so far this term, was out of luck in front of goal until Saturday. "I've come very close, but I've hit the bar or post, or the keeper's made a great save. It finally came good today," the player smiled. "I'm happy I've scored at last."

Just a minute after Cottbus had equalised 10 minutes into the second half, the Belgian rose to meet a pinpoint Bastian Schweinsteiger free-kick, flicking a header beyond keeper Tomislav Piplica and into the far corner. "He's a great big man, and we know how dangerous he can be. That was a perfect header," Roy Makaay commented. "It was important for Daniel. He's missed a couple of chances, and he's had very little luck. But he scored the winner today."

<b>Well set for remainder of term</b>

Coach Felix Magath declared himself "extremely satisfied" with his defensive chief, who ran up an impressive 86 percent challenges won on Saturday. Van Buyten, nicknamed "The Rock", had quickly become an outstandingly consistent pillar of the team, the boss continued. Magath reckons the Belgian will now find the target more often: "I don't believe that will be the last goal he scores for us."

The player himself agreed that getting off the mark in the last home match of the calendar year "is a good omen for the rest of the campaign." However, there was to be no major celebration in the Van Buyten household on Saturday evening. "I'll review the match on video, as I always do," he commented, before going out for what must have been a pleasant evening meal with his dad.
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News