You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Van Bommel 'brings exactly what we need'

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Van Bommel 'brings exactly what we need'

Postby FCBayernNews » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:10 pm

The only pundit prepared to criticise Mark van Bommel after the final whistle on Saturday was Mark van Bommel himself. "I'm not happy with the way I played. I made too many misplaced passes in phases when the team needed reassurance," the Bayern newcomer told reporters gathered in the Allianz Arena mixed zone.

Nevertheless, van Bommel made a significant contribution to his side claiming all three points against the promoted visitors. First, he scored the winner with a dash and drive on 55 minutes, a second goal in his second Bundesliga outing. "I don't honestly think you can ask for more," fellow Dutchman Roy Makaay smiled, although the former Barcelona man was disarmingly modest: "It's always nice when you hit the winner."

<b>Still not at 100 percent</b>

Second, van Bommel continued his rapid progress towards a position of real substance and influence at the club. "He showed us today how important he can be. He'll unquestionably develop into one of our leading personalities," coach Felix Magath said admiringly. "I'm utterly satisfied with him. Van Bommel brings exactly what we need."

That requirement was later defined by Uli Hoeneß. "He scores goals, he directs the play, and he's a strong personality," the general manager explained, calling for patience as the 29-year-old continues to find his feet in Bavaria. "It always takes a while to settle into a new team and gain full acceptance."

<b>Attacking impulse</b>

Van Bommel's goal neatly encapsulated his fine start at the club, as he brushed aside the attentions of Aachen skipper Reiner Plaßhenrich before unleashing a precise drive past keeper Kristian Nicht from the edge of the box, a move illustrating a potent blend of physical prowess, a nose for goal and a willingness to accept responsibility.

"Mark's gradually beginning to define his role within the team," Makaay observed. The <i>Bayern Magazin</i> matchday programme went one step further with a confident headline: "All's well with Mark!" the cover page proclaimed.
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MUTU » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:07 pm

He's slowly but surely becoming a key player at Bayern. Inter will be a good test for him. Let's hope he can carry the team on his shoulders.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Return to Official FC Bayern News