You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Van Bommel ban reduced on appeal

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Van Bommel ban reduced on appeal

Postby FCBayernNews » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:35 pm

Mark van Bommel has been cleared to appear for Bayern in the Champions League quarter-final return against AC Milan at the Allianz Arena on 11 April following a successful appeal to a UEFA disciplinary tribunal on Wednesday in Nyon, Switzerland.

"I'm satisfied," the player declared in an initial reaction at midday in Munich. A member of Bayern's press office staff informed the Dutch midfielder and head coach Ottmar Hitzfeld of the revised verdict during a scheduled training session. "I'm delighted UEFA have arrived at a reasonable verdict. I have to say I'm feeling a sense of relief," Hitzfeld commented.

<b>Van Bommel always confident</b>

Van Bommel was handed a suspended one-match ban after making an inappropriate gesture to the crowd in Bayern's 3-2 Round of 16 defeat in Madrid a month ago. The player was then dismissed for a second bookable offence in the return on Bavarian soil. UEFA initially decided to activate the suspended ban, removing the 29-year-old from contention for both legs of the forthcoming quarter-final against Milan, but Wednesday's verdict restores the probationary nature of the original penalty.

"No-one here expected anything else, because you can't give a two-game ban for two yellow cards," Van Bommel commented, insisting the dissent which earned the second booking in the return against Madrid could not rightfully be regarded in the same light as the suspended penalty. "It's definitely been an odd feeling over recent days, but I was always confident the verdict would be revised," the Netherlands international continued.

<b>Kahn/Lucio verdict due Thursday</b>

Hitzfeld expressed delight at the availability of his inspirational midfielder for the decisive match in the clash with the <i>Rossoneri</i>. "Having Mark back for the return is a major boost. He's a vital player and made a major contribution to us knocking out Real Madrid."

The Munich club's attention will again be focused on UEFA headquarters in Nyon on Thursday, when the European governing body considers a case against Oliver Kahn and Lucio. The Bayern men are alleged to have "breached basic rules of good conduct" at the post-match doping control following the return against Real. Kahn has <a href="/en/news/news/2007/11248.php?fcb_sid=3febb603487f7bce63dbae93fb9d9c1d" target="_top" class="content_link">already publicly apologised</a> for his behaviour. "I continue to be optimistic that we'll see a happy end to this matter with a sensible verdict," Hitzfeld observed.
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby tracylynn » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:09 pm

Good. Now he has to keep his temper in check just in case Bayern move on to the semis.
Raider (1996-2007) - A very lovable cat that I will miss dearly.
tracylynn
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Miss Dangerous » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:33 pm

tracylynn wrote:Good. Now he has to keep his temper in check just in case Bayern move on to the semis.

Indead :D
Miss Dangerous
I'm a chatterbox!

Return to Official FC Bayern News