You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Van Bommel and Toni pass fitness test

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Van Bommel and Toni pass fitness test

Postby FCBayernNews » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:45 pm

Shimmies, close control, dribbling and passing, first with the left foot, then with the right, sometimes with an opponent, sometimes without. Mark van Bommel repeated this sequence over and over again on Wednesday, as the 500 or so die-hards at the FCB training ground saw for themselves that the club captain had successfully come through the previous day's friendly. As Van Bommel himself said: "The toe's still on."

A broken big toe and ruptured tendon in his left foot forced the FCB skipper to the sidelines for nine long weeks, but he completed a 60-minute comeback away to Jahn Regensburg on Tuesday evening. "I'm delighted I got back to playing," he commented the following day. There had been no reaction to the injury, he added.

Van Bommel said he had used the current break for internationals to train "really hard", as he seeks to recapture the normal rhythm of a pro. "But I'm feeling good, very good, and ready for a competitive game," he continued. Could that be Saturday's Bundesliga trip to Freiburg? "The coach decides," Van Bommel stated.

Useful test

The same sentiments emanated from the lips of Luca Toni, who also used the trip to Regensburg to prove his fitness. "I enjoyed the game, and I feel ready for the Bundesliga in Freiburg next Saturday. But the coach picks the team," said the Italian after coming through the full 90 minutes. Toni, who is working his way back from a long-term Achilles injury, has gained match practice twice for the reserves in the third division.

"It was a good test for Mark and Luca," enthused Director of Sport Christian Nerlinger, "and both made it through the match without any problems." Assistant coach Andries Jonker was also in Regensburg and declared himself "very satisfied" with Toni and Van Bommel. However, there would be no instant decision regarding the pair's chances of making the squad for the weekend Bundesliga fixture: "We'll be thinking over the line-up for Freiburg in the next couple of days."
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News