You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

UEFA President Platini honours Beckenbauer

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

UEFA President Platini honours Beckenbauer

Postby FCBayernNews » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:10 pm

On Wednesday, coinciding with the 113th anniversary of the founding of FC Bayern, Franz Beckenbauer was honoured by European football's governing body with the UEFA President's Award. "You ushered in a new era in football," said UEFA President Michel Platini in his citation before presenting Beckenbauer with the award. The day was historic, the former France star quipped: "It's the first time a President has honoured a Kaiser. I really don't know if that observes the rules of protocol."

"It is a special honour for me to receive this award," replied Beckenbauer, describing it as "something very special" to be ranked alongside footballing legends Alfredo di Stefano, Bobby Charlton, Raymond Kopa, Eusébio and Gianni Rivera, previous recipients of the UEFA President's Award, which is presented to the European game's outstanding personalities.

Platini described Beckenbauer as "a legend, a footballing statesman, and a friend who awakened my passion for football. He was the first post-modern football player. The history of football divides into before and after Franz Beckenbauer."

A host of VIP guests attended the ceremony at Alfons Schuhbeck's Südtiroler Stube, including Uli Hoeneß, Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, Gerd Müller, German FA (DFB) president Wolfgang Niersbach, and Germany coach Joachim Löw.

Two months ago, in recognition of his extraordinary achievements and record of service to the world's favourite game, Beckenbauer was presented with the FIFA Presidential Award 2012 by FIFA President Joseph S. Blatter at the FIFA Ballon d'Or 2012 Gala on the evening of Monday 7 January 2013 at Zurich Congress House.
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: UEFA President Platini honours Beckenbauer

Postby quaazi » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:40 pm

Is that why he was in München tonight? Almost slipped on the walkway he did.
The ideal team

--------Müller with gloves--------
-Müller--Müller--Müller--Müller--
-------Müller---------Müller-------
----Müller----Müller----Müller----
---------------Müller---------------
quaazi
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Estonia

Re: UEFA President Platini honours Beckenbauer

Postby AdepT » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:50 pm

Most probably. But he came around second half. Didn't see him in the first one.
'To be successful, you have to give everything.' - Bastian Schweinsteiger
AdepT
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
India
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Return to Official FC Bayern News