You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Toni Kroos: scorer, provider, willing worker

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Toni Kroos: scorer, provider, willing worker

Postby FCBayernNews » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:40 pm

A turn on a sixpence, a quick look up, a delicate lob, and the ball was nestling in the Köln net. It looked smooth and simple, but Toni Kroos' 88th minute goal against the negative visitors from Cologne was a long time in the coming. The midfielder had delivered 32 shots at goal prior to the magic moment, but finally opened his scoring account for the season at the 33rd attempt. "And about time too," the player stated after what was only his second Bundesliga goal in Bayern colours. However, he said it with shining eyes: "I've always said the most important thing is success as a team."

As a result of the 3-0 victory over FC Köln, the men from Munich will spend the winter break at the top of the table for the first time since the 2007/8 campaign, and start the second half of the season in pole position. Kroos, who has emerged as a regular under Jupp Heynckes, has played a starring role in the team's success so far, starting 15 of his 16 appearances this term, and all of the club's Champions League and DFB Cup fixtures.

"I sense the coach has faith in me," reflected the 21-year-old, "and I was playing very well at the start of the season. I've kept it consistent right through to Christmas, which is great for me." The Germany international spoke of a "very good" first half of the campaign: "And if we now win in the cup, it'll be outstanding."

Once again, Kroos oozed quality in Friday's meeting with the Rhineland outfit. He played the ball an astounding 122 times during the match, almost twice as often as Köln's busiest player, Henrique Sereno with 64 touches. The FCB midfielder also topped the charts for shots at goal (three), lay-offs for shots by team-mates (four) and passes (102). His goal, the first since his maiden strike in a 4-2 victory over Freiburg back in October 2010, and an assist for David Alaba's earlier effort, were the icing on the cake.

Rapid progress

"Toni has come on enormously," Heynckes was quoted as saying a couple of days ago. "I've always had faith in him, and I knew he'd make progress under me. Now he has the trust he requires, he's exploded." Heynckes even believes the player with the squad number 39 is "further on than the likes of Wolfgang Overath and Gunter Netzer at the age of 21, and they were both world-class."

FCB chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge also expressed satisfaction with the player's development. "The man who's taken the biggest step forward under Jupp Heynckes in the last six months is, in my opinion, Toni Kroos," the official told German TV. "I think it's been a very big step too, both for Bayern and the national team. He's absolutely first choice for both now."

Still room for more

Toni has won plaudits in two distinct positions. Initially showing his skill in the hole behind the striker, he has impressively grown into a more central and withdrawn role following the loss of Bastian Schweinsteiger to injury. "Tony has come to realise that football isn't just about talent, it's about graft. And he still hasn't exhausted his potential," declared Heynckes, "with him, the possibilities are unlimited."

Kroos rates as an intelligent player too, demonstrated amply by his goal on Friday, when he comfortably beat former team-mate Michael Rensing from close range. "I knew from before that Michael gets down early, which is why I lobbed him," Toni revealed. Bayern's loyal army of fans acknowledged the 21-year-old's fine form by naming him Bayern Player of the Month for the first time in November. He surely stands a good chance of retaining the accolade for December.
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Toni Kroos: scorer, provider, willing worker

Postby MUTU » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:19 pm

FCBayernNews wrote:Heynckes even believes the player with the squad number 39 is "further on than the likes of Wolfgang Overath and Gunter Netzer at the age of 21, and they were both world-class.

I love this quote, comparing him to legends. I've been excited with Kroos ever since his dream debut at the age of 17, and finally he's starting to show the potential he was showing when he was young. I expect him to overtake Schweinsteiger as the most important player at the club within the next 2-3 seasons.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby quaazi » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:01 pm

I think he's been a revelation ever since he's played the Schweini role. I wasn't happy with his lethargy at CAM, but his technique, distribution and vastly increased work rate make him perfect for a deep-lying playmaker role.
The ideal team

--------Müller with gloves--------
-Müller--Müller--Müller--Müller--
-------Müller---------Müller-------
----Müller----Müller----Müller----
---------------Müller---------------
quaazi
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Estonia

Postby sch0ll7 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:05 pm

quaazi wrote:I think he's been a revelation ever since he's played the Schweini role. I wasn't happy with his lethargy at CAM, but his technique, distribution and vastly increased work rate make him perfect for a deep-lying playmaker role.

gotta say I share the same opinion:D
Starin` at the world through my rearview
sch0ll7
Moderator & EURO 2012 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Location: "I'm a Bayern Munich player and I've no intention of joining that club. I'm fine thanks."
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Return to Official FC Bayern News