You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Thrilled Hoeneß heaps praise on top-class team

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Thrilled Hoeneß heaps praise on top-class team

Postby FCBayernNews » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:45 am

Uli Hoeneß cut a smiling, contented figure as he patrolled the mixed zone at the Allianz Arena late on Tuesday evening. He had just watched his team top Champions League Group B with a 1-1 draw against Inter Milan, handing the German champions the advantage of playing the second leg in the last sixteen in front of their home crowd. Hoeneß took questions from the throng of reporters at the scene.

<b>Interview: Uli Hoeneß</b>

<b>Question:</b> Uli Hoeneß, how do you feel about Bayern reaching their target of winning the group?

<b><i>Uli Hoeneß:</i></b> "I just want to praise the team. OK, they dozed off in the last minute, but otherwise the match was played at the highest tactical level, it was one for the purists. Apart from the equaliser, we were very, very disciplined, which is the way you have to play at the highest level in Europe. I'm extremely satisfied."

<b>Question:</b> Have you managed to calm Oliver Kahn down a little? He totally lost his rag after the late equaliser in his 100th Champions League appearance.

<b><i>Hoeneß:</i></b> "Olli exploded as he always does in such situations. But I can understand that. He's saying that if we want to hit our targets at the highest level, you simply can't make a single mistake for 95 minutes. We can't be letting in goals in the 91st minute, Inter had already thrown in the towel. That's what Olli is telling the team at the moment, they have to concentrate right to the bitter end."

<b>Question:</b> What do you think of Roy Makaay's world-class goal?

<b><i>Hoeneß:</i></b> "The goal was good, but Hasan Salihamidzic' pass was even better. It was fantastic, the way he played the ball into Roy's path. Roy controlled it brilliantly, both were world class."

<b>Question:</b> Mark van Bommel was substituted as he looked in danger of being sent off, but he laid down a marker in his skirmishes with Patrick Vieira. Is he a leader for your team?

<b><i>Hoeneß:</i></b> "Mark is good for us. He's totally professional, and he adds a bruising, battling edged to our game. I've rarely seen a player take on such a leadership role in our hierarchy within so short a time."

<b>Question:</b> Who would you like to meet in the next round?

<b><i>Hoeneß:</i></b> "Real Madrid have finished second, Eindhoven, AS Rome and Barcelona too. I'm not sure there are any easy opponents. We've achieved what we set out to achieve, namely winning the group and playing the next match away, and it's been much more comfortable than we expected. That's just fantastic."

<b>Question:</b> What do you need for a happy Christmas at Bayern Munich?

<b><i>Hoeneß:</i></b> "We have three more matches, two in the Bundesliga against Cottbus and Mainz, and then the German Cup tie in Aachen. If we win those three games, it will be a happy Christmas."
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News