You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Thorsten Fink: 'I've always been a tactical thinker'

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Thorsten Fink: 'I've always been a tactical thinker'

Postby FCBayernNews » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:30 pm

In a career at Bayern spanning almost a decade, Thorsten Fink practically became part of the furniture. The 38-year-old, a 1997 arrival at the Säbener Strasse from Karlsruhe, won four German championships, three DFB Cups and the 2001 Champions League in a red shirt. For the last four seasons, he has captained the Bayern reserves, leading them to the third division south title in 2004.

However, after some 300 competitive matches for the Munich giants, the midfield general was forced to end his playing career in the summer with a knee injury. A new chapter now opens with a switch to up and coming Red Bull Salzburg as reserve team coach. <b>fcbayern.de</b> asked the likeable stalwart about his time in Munich and his new job.

<b>Interview: Thorsten Fink</b>

<b>fcbayern.de:</b> Thorsten, you made your last appearance for the reserves on 22 April. What's been happening since then?

<b><i>Thorsten Fink:</i></b> "I played that day even though I was injured, but I gave it a go anyway. But I broke down and that was it. As soon as we received the diagnosis, I knew I'd have to stop playing. I sat down with general manager Uli Hoeneß and reserve team coach Hermann Gerland, and we decided I'd joined Gerland's coaching staff."

<b>fcbayern.de:</b> And then you received the offer from Salzburg?

<b><i>Fink:</i></b> "That's right. All the coaching positions which would have interested me at Bayern are already filled by extremely good people, so I knew I'd have to leave the club. I desperately wanted to take on responsibility and be my own man. The contact with Salzburg came via [joint head coaches] Trapattoni and Lothar [Matthäus]. It's an extremely interesting challenge."

<b>fcbayern.de:</b> Looking at the list of personalities in Salzburg, you're not really leaving Bayern behind completely. Trapattoni, Matthäus, Zickler, Linke, Kovac - these are all men you know from your time here in Munich.

<b><i>Fink:</i></b> "That's right, a few former Reds have ended up there. I think Franz Beckenbauer had a hand in that. But on a day-to-day basis, I'll only really have anything to do with Trapattoni and Matthäus."

<b>fcbayern.de:</b> Was it a difficult decision to leave Bayern after more than nine years here?

<b><i>Fink:</i></b> "I've always felt extremely settled in Munich, and I've really enjoyed my time here. I found it easy to identify 100 percent with the club, and obviously we were extremely successful too. It was far and away the best period of my professional career."

<b>fcbayern.de:</b> What lay behind your switch to Munich in the first place?

<b><i>Fink:</i></b> "I was playing very consistently for Karlsruhe, and Uli Hoeneß just rang up one day. Bayern were looking for a midfield workhorse at the time. They had quite enough artists and creatives. One of the people at Bayern who pushed strongly for my arrival was Lothar."

<b>fcbayern.de:</b> What were the best and the worst moments of your time at the club?

<b><i>Fink:</i></b> "The all-time low was obviously Barcelona in 1999, when we lost the Champions League final to Manchester in stoppage time. The absolute highlight came two years later when we won the trophy in Milan."

<b>fcbayern.de:</b> When did you decide you wanted to be a coach?

<b><i>Fink:</i></b> "I toyed with the idea from early on in my career. I've always been a tactical thinker, even as a player. And at some point, Ottmar Hitzfeld made up my mind for me, when he told me I'd definitely make a good coach."

<b>fcbayern.de:</b> Will we see Thorsten Fink take charge of a Bundesliga club at some point?

<b><i>Fink:</i></b> "I'd definitely like to end up in the German top flight, but there's huge competition for good coaches. For now, I'll have to do a good job in Salzburg."

<b>fcbayern.de:</b> But you'll maintain your links to Bayern?

<b><i>Fink:</i></b> "I really hope so. Uli Hoeneß has told me I can come back any time, and that I'll always be welcome at Bayern. And who knows? Perhaps I really will return one day."

<b>fcbayern.de:</b> However it turns out, all the very best for the new challenge in Salzburg. Thanks for talking to us, Thorsten.
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MUTU » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:36 pm

Never was greatly skilled, but he made that up with his tactical discipline. I think he'll be a great coach.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Return to Official FC Bayern News