You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Schweinsteiger seeks swift return to peak form

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Schweinsteiger seeks swift return to peak form

Postby FCBayernNews » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:40 am

When the stars sang happy birthday to Uli Hoeneß, Bastian Schweinsteiger's voice was one of the loudest. Thankfully, it is no longer any different out on the field. Bayern's midfield general made a comeback from injury in Thursday's friendly against Al-Sailiya at the Doha training camp, after a lengthy lay-off caused by his broken collarbone from the Champions League home meeting with Napoli.

"It's been a difficult period. I had no influence on anything," confessed Schweinsteiger on Thursday, reflecting on the frustration of an absence due to injury. However, the vice-captain discerned a silver lining to the cloud: "The timing was right. I'd rather be injured prior to the winter break than in April, when trophies are at stake."

Bastian is finally back out where he belongs, on the football field, and he has not missed a single workout in Doha. "He appears very fit and he's enjoying his football," observed captain Philipp Lahm. "We're delighted he's back," Thomas Müller said in an fcbayern.de interview.

Schweinsteiger has not suffered any reaction to the injury so far. "I'm feeling very good," he reported, "I'm a little uneasy with certain movements, however." That was more mental than physical, the Germany international ventured, as a surgical plate remains in his shoulder and will not be extricated for another 12 months.

Avoiding the big Belgian

The bone itself is now completely healed. "He doesn't have to hold himself back any more," confirmed Jupp Heynckes. In theory, he could even withstand a full-on collision with muscleman Daniel van Buyten. "That would be the ultimate test. But I'm taking my time over it," Schweinsteiger quipped.

By contrast, the midfielder is in a hurry to win silverware, both with Bayern and in national colours. "I'm setting the bar very high for the New Year. I expect a lot of myself," he declared. The player feels FCB are stronger now than in 2010, a double-winning year which also saw the men from Munich reach the Champions League final.

Shouldering responsibility

The burning desire to win a major trophy or two is fuelling the player's determination and commitment at the training camp. "I hope I can recover peak form very quickly," he said. That is indeed crucial, as Bastian is the main strategist and organiser in the FCB midfield. "Normally, I have plenty of influence on a match and can make things happen."

Confirming that, respected sports weekly kicker ranked the former FCB youth as world-class in defensive midfield in its mid-season assessment published on Thursday. The ranking is highly respected and it is a great honour for Schweinsteiger, although he remained typically modest: "Obviously, nothing is possible without the team. We have to harmonise as a team on and off the field," he stated, calling for even greater efforts in the pursuit of honours. "We have to squeeze out even better performances for the rest of the season," he concluded.
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News