You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Schweinsteiger named Player of the Season

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Schweinsteiger named Player of the Season

Postby FCBayernNews » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:30 pm

Treble winners Bayern have swept the board in the annual German Player of the Season awards, with Bastian Schweinsteiger, Franck Ribéry and Thomas Müller taking the top three spots in the 54th edition of the long-running poll conducted by kicker magazine. In the vote for coach of the season, Jupp Heynckes was the undisputed and runaway winner.

It is the first time Schweinsteiger has been named German Player of the Season. The Bayern vice-captain received 92 of the 527 votes cast by accredited sports journalists. Schweinsteiger is the 19th FCB player to win the award: Franz Beckenbauer is the most successful winner in the accolade's history with four triumphs.

Nine Bayern FCB men in the top 15

Behind Schweinsteiger, it was a close-run thing for second spot between Ribéry (87 votes) and Müller (85). Borussia Dortmund's Robert Lewandowski was the first non-Munich man in fourth, with previous season's winner Marco Reus in 11th. Of the top 15 players in the list, nine came from Bayern and five from BVB, with only sixth-placed Stefan Kießling of Leverkusen breaking the duopoly.

In an interview to be published by kicker on Monday, Schweinsteiger emphasised that the award was entirely a product of FCB's stunning achievements as a club in 2012/13, "so it's also a trophy for the team."

Emphatic victory for Heynckes

In the poll for Coach of the Season, 383 of the 517 votes cast were for Schweinsteiger's ex-boss Heynckes. The 68-year-old, who retired at the end of the hugely successful campaign, described the treble triumph as "a wonderful end to my long career." He was delighted with the accolade bestowed by the sports writers: "This award provides the fairytale ending. Dreams have become reality."

In the poll, Heynckes was followed home by Freiburg's Christian Streich (77 votes) and Dortmund's Jürgen Klopp, winner in the last two years but a distant third this time on 19 votes.

Women's award for Martina Müller

The title of Women's Player of the Season also went to a treble-winner, after Martina Müller of VfL Wolfsburg took 117 of the 418 votes cast, beating Celia Okoyino da Mbabi (70 votes) into second place. Müller called time on her international career last November after earning 101 caps for Germany, but converted a penalty to hand Wolfsburg a shock triumph over Olympique Lyon in last season's Women's Champions League final.
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Schweinsteiger named Player of the Season

Postby kod2600 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:58 pm

Congrats Bastian, Heynckes and all Bayern players in the top 15. :D

Will this in any way affect Ribery's chances in winning a Ballon D'or? idk why I think it would -_-
My blood is RED
My team is RED
It's Bayern München till I'm DEAD

Mia San Mia
kod2600
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Palestine

Postby AdepT » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:51 pm

Basti wouldn't be too far behind in the Ballon d'Or race. I'll be fine with it as long as one of them wins it.
'To be successful, you have to give everything.' - Bastian Schweinsteiger
AdepT
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
India
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby SilentStrike » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:07 am

AdepT wrote:Basti wouldn't be too far behind in the Ballon d'Or race. I'll be fine with it as long as one of them wins it.

None of them will. A 3rd place at most.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Aux Champs-Élysées
Aux Champs-Élysées
Au soleil, sous la pluie
À midi ou à minuit
Il y a tout ce que vous voulez
Aux Champs-Élysées
SilentStrike
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Netherlands

Postby AdepT » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:43 am

SilentStrike wrote:
AdepT wrote:Basti wouldn't be too far behind in the Ballon d'Or race. I'll be fine with it as long as one of them wins it.

None of them will. A 3rd place at most.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I'm realistic about their chances too. Maybe UEFA Player of the Year would be between these too.
Ballon d'Or, we'll have to wait and see if captains and coaches recognised our strength.
Waiting to see who Lahm votes for. Poor guy would be in such a dilemma how to rank among Schweini, Ribery and Mueller. :)
Knowing how humble he is, he won't name his name of course unlike some players. cough CR cough.
'To be successful, you have to give everything.' - Bastian Schweinsteiger
AdepT
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
India

Postby Monsignor » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:11 pm

There is no way in hell anyone who is not Messi or Ronaldo is going to win it, just give up that dream now and save yourself the drama.
My Fantasy Bundesliga team:

http://www.fantasybundes.com
Monsignor
Getting the hang of it

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby FruitPunchGee » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:14 pm

Monsignor wrote:There is no way in hell anyone who is not Messi or Ronaldo is going to win it, just give up that dream now and save yourself the drama.

messi n ronaldo overrated
FruitPunchGee
Getting the hang of it

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Denmark

Return to Official FC Bayern News