You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Schweinsteiger: Medics still puzzled by swollen knee riddle

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Schweinsteiger: Medics still puzzled by swollen knee riddle

Postby FCBayernNews » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:50 pm

Bastian Schweinsteiger was playing the role of match-winner in Hanover little more than a week ago, but all that matters to the Germany international at the present time is recovering his fitness. The Bayern midfielder missed the club's meetings with AC Milan and Bayer Leverkusen last week, and is not expected to make a comeback in the near future.

"He's out of contention for Saturday's match in Stuttgart," coach Ottmar Hitzfeld announced at the Säbener Strasse training ground on Monday morning. Schweinsteiger's right knee became inflamed again at the weekend, but the reasons for the problem remained shrouded in mystery.

<b>Infection suspected</b>

"We've made no progress yet. We're still missing a detailed diagnosis," Hitzfeld reported, although a conventional footballing injury has definitively been ruled out. "The problem is probably caused by an infection," general manager Uli Hoeneß revealed following the previous evening's 2-1 home victory over Leverkusen.

The player reported on Monday with renewed swelling in the affected area, which was again drained of excess fluid. "It's not looking any better yet," the head coach explained. Lab tests were continuing in an effort to finalise the diagnosis. "We could certainly use his presence in the run-in, but we have to be patient for now," Hitzfeld summarised.
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Kavalli » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:14 pm

Schweinsteiger vows to play again this season
(AFP) 18 Apr 2007

Germany midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger insisted on Wednesday he will shake off his troublesome knee infection and play again for his club Bayern Munich and his country this season.

Even though there are only five games left in the Bundesliga, which finishes on 19 May, Schweinsteiger is desperate to help Bayern's quest for a UEFA Champions League place and play in Germany's UEFA EURO 2008 qualifier against San Marino in June.

But the doctors have yet to tell the 22-year-old exactly what is wrong with his problematic left knee, which has kept him out of action for two weeks.

"I want to play again this season," said Schweinsteiger. "There are another five games left and I am sure that I can still help Bayern get in the Champions League next season."

The results of tests on Schweinsteiger's knee are expected in a few days, but for the time being the midfielder is out of action. "I can't do much at the moment, I can't jog or do any leg exercises. I can't even do any upper body work. The doctor has said I must rest."

Schweinsteiger is definitely out of Saturday's key Bundesliga clash with VfB Stuttgart, who sit one slot above fourth-placed Bayern Munich in the title race.

SOURCE : Fifa.com
Kavalli
Getting the hang of it

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News