You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Schweinsteiger aiming for the top with Bayern

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Schweinsteiger aiming for the top with Bayern

Postby FCBayernNews » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:45 pm

Bastian Schweinsteiger, a bubbly sort of chap by inclination, was never likely to lose his cheeky grin or stop making witty quips just because of the rigours of Bayern's winter training camp in Dubai.

Indeed, "Schweini" has always been an easy-going, relaxed person. However, his current upbeat mood might have something to do with a crucial decision prior to the Christmas vacation, when he and the board agreed an extension to his current contract at the club. "I'm delighted with what I consider a very good decision. I'm really looking forward to the next three years here in Munich. The new contract is a good result for both sides," he has now told FCB.tv.

Heart and mind

The man capped 62 times by Germany has committed his future to Bayern until 30 June 2012, following a period in which a host of top European clubs were reported to be interested in his signature. But at the end of the day, the decision to remain with Bayern had not been a particularly difficult one, the player revealed. "Munich and the club are obviously very close to my heart. I'm very attached to the city and its people," said the Bavarian native, who has represented Bayern since his youth days.

Schweinsteiger's decision was not merely based on emotional ties, but also on hard-nosed, businesslike considerations. "As a player, you're thinking about a number of details: the club is financially healthy, everyone puts a lot of heart into the club, and we have real prospects for the future. I sense something coming together here. That's indicated by the fact someone like Philipp Lahm chose to extend his stay," declared the 24-year-old: "The whole package was just right."testAiming for European honours

The club is naturally delighted the home-grown midfielder has opted to remain, although general manager Uli Hoeneß has made the club's raised expectations clear to the player. "I do believe the importance of the decision got to him a little. His football was very disjointed in the weeks running up to the winter break, but he should have a clear head now. We hope it's a new impulse for him to play better football than he has done of late. He has room to improve," the board director informed fcbayern.de.

Schweinsteiger is not fearful of losing his place in the team. "Provided I've been fit, I've always played. It doesn't cause me sleepless nights." Instead, he has set his sights high with the club. "It's time we won a European trophy again. I personally want to win the Champions League, and that's the club's target too," he revealed. "With a bit of luck, we're capable of beating the biggest teams, the Barcelonas and Manchester Uniteds. That's what inspires us, and that's what we work towards every day." Obviously, still with a smile and a laugh, despite the punishing training schedule.
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News