You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Sausages, honours and applause for Neuer

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Sausages, honours and applause for Neuer

Postby FCBayernNews » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:40 pm

For a host of Bayern fans, Christmas came early this year as the players and officials made their traditional holiday season visits to a clutch of lucky fan clubs. Out of approximately 500 applications, a total of 25 clubs were drawn to receive a visit. Some were far-flung: Bastian Schweinsteiger made his way to Hamburg, and Diego Contento to the mountainous South Tyrol, but others had less far to travel. Manuel Neuer was one of this group, as the man with the number one shirt joined goalkeeping coach Toni Tapalovic on the trip to Denkendorf, a community of some 2,000 inhabitants approximately 20 kilometres to the north of Ingolstadt.

The local fan club, the Red White Bombers, drew "the golden ticket", according to club chairman André Neumann. The Bombers entered the pre-Christmas draw for the fourth time, but it was their first-ever win - and what a good one too. "I simply didn't believe it at first," Neumann revealed, recalling a telephone call with FCB nine days earlier. "But since finding out, I've not been able to sleep."

There was a huge amount to be achieved in a short space of time. Committee members drew up a schedule for the big day, and plans were made to decorate the ballroom at the Zur Krone tavern in appropriate fashion. However, all the hard work paid off. Neuer was greeted on entering the town by a welcome banner, before a brass band accompanied the player's arrival at the inn, where he entered a room entirely decked out in red and white.

Warm reception

The walls were covered in Bayern flags and scarves, balloons and streamers hung from the ceiling, red spotlights illuminated the corners of the room, and a Christmas tree in Bayern colours sported candles bearing the club logo. The gathering of some 360 fans, all dressed up in FCB colours and scarves, gave the visitor from Munich a noisy and warm reception.

To loud applause, Neumann welcomed Neuer as "Bayern's number one, the national team's number one, and in my opinion, the world's number one." After that, Neuer showed that extreme talent between the sticks is by no means the only aspect to his character, combining charm and honesty to answer the Denkendorf fans' questions fully and to everyone's satisfaction.

Santa Claus rides in

The keeper explained how he took up football as a four-year-old with the intention of playing outfield, "but the coach put me in goal, and I never came out." The player recalled a goal he scored against Borussia Dortmund as an under-17 player. He named his idols as Boris Becker, Jens Lehmann, and Edwin van der Sar. He revealed his holiday plans - at home with his family in the Ruhr Valley, and then skiing - and offered his opinion on Germany's Euro 2012 draw: "A fantastic group! We know exactly who we have to face now, and we'll have to give it everything from the start."

After the question and answer session, Santa Claus - or to be more accurate, St Nicholas - made his customary appearance. According to German tradition, the fantasy figure hands out criticism as well as praise at this time of year, but he had only warm words for Manuel on this occasion. To round off the formal part of the event, the keeper was presented with a fan club t-shirt and scarf, kicking off a lengthy gift-giving session. The highlight was a basket of goodies from the local butcher, including 'Manuel Neuer brand' sausages. The keeper was awarded honorary membership of the club, and signed the community's Golden Book. "The signatories up to now have been ministers, bishops and Mikhail Gorbachev. Now we also have the best goalkeeper in the world," enthused deputy mayor Peter Lehner.

Manuel taken by surprise

Neuer then showed he is a dab hand at table football, before using his hands in a different way in an hour-long autograph signing session, leaving no wishes unfulfilled. "I've been very warmly received and I feel great here. It's a lot of fun," the 25-year-old commented, adding that the afternoon had more or less been as expected, but with a couple of surprises too. "I never thought so many people would come, or that I'd be made an honorary member and be asked to sign the Golden Book."

Neuer then drew the winners of a tombola, to which he contributed numerous items including goalkeeping gloves and a replica shirt. After a last photo with the brass band, the keeper and Tapalovic bade farewell to the Red White Bombers, leaving behind new and even more admiring fans. "I'm not a Bayern supporter, but I do like Manuel," said village priest Franz Glötzner. "Manuel Neuer exceeded all our expectations," declared Denkendorf fan club founder Hermann Pickl. "What an easy-going guy! What a fine person! We've taken him to our hearts."
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News