You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Sagnol: No-one can beat us when we're fully fit

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Sagnol: No-one can beat us when we're fully fit

Postby FCBayernNews » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:50 pm

Willy Sagnol can hardly wait for the winter break. The France star had just three weeks off after tasting bitter defeat in the World Cup final, and has since contested some 30 competitive fixtures for Bayern and his country, battling a persistent knee problem along the way. "It's been tough work for me and the team," the 29-year-old conceded in an exclusive <b>fcbayern.de</b> Interview.

Sagnol is not the only World Cup star in Munich looking forward to Christmas, but Willy and his team-mates are still determined to win their last two matches before the holiday. The Reds will then embark on a concerted campaign to retain the Bundesliga trophy in the second half of the season, "because there's no-one in the league capable of beating us when we're fully fit," the charismatic right-back declared.

<b>Interview: Willy Sagnol</b>

<b>fcbayern.de:</b> Willy, you've won the last home match of 2006. What's your take on the first half of the season at the Allianz Arena?

<b><i>Willy Sagnol:</i></b> "It's not always been easy, but we knew that before the season. It's always tough after a difficult pre-season period. We've always said our goal up to Christmas was to be there or thereabouts at the top, and it looks like we'll achieve that. And then we're off to our Dubai training camp in January."

<b>fcbayern.de:</b> You've continued to struggle against defensive opponents. Is that because of problems with fitness and sharpness?

<b><i>Sagnol:</i></b> "I think it is. A visit to the Allianz Arena is like a Champions League final for most teams. That makes it tough for us. Take Frankfurt as an example: they ran till they dropped against us, but they shipped six goals at home to Bremen, who'd played 90 tough minutes in the Champions League a few days earlier."

<b>fcbayern.de:</b> You had a few decent chances on the break in the second half against Cottbus on Saturday, but poor passing meant they came up to nothing. Why was that?

<b><i>Sagnol:</i></b> "We're simply not totally fit, that's obvious. What you see at the moment is genuinely the best we can do."

<b>fcbayern.de:</b> Nevertheless, you're only three points off top spot. That should give your rivals something to think about over Christmas.

<b><i>Sagnol:</i></b> "That's right, Bayern Munich are still right in it, in all three competitions. Schalke are out of both cups, Bremen are out of the German Cup. The job now is to win in Mainz whatever it takes, and get through to the next round of the Cup. It'll look pretty good for us after that."

<b>fcbayern.de:</b> How can you be so sure you'll improve after the winter break?

<b><i>Sagnol:</i></b> "We've shown it often enough over the last two or three years. There's no-one in the league capable of beating us when we're fully fit. I'm convinced the second half of the campaign will be easier."

<b>fcbayern.de:</b> What's your personal summary of the season so far?

<b><i>Sagnol:</i></b> "It's been hard work for me and for the team. I've played about 30 matches since August, each one over the full 90 minutes. Obviously I'm not fully fit any more, but after the winter break and a vacation, we'll all be up and running again."
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News