You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Rummenigge: ‘The bar will be set higher in Bremen’

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Rummenigge: ‘The bar will be set higher in Bremen’

Postby FCBayernNews » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:54 am

Bayern are top of the embryonic Bundesliga table after Saturday’s impressive display against Rostock, but the Reds face a number of stiff tests over the coming weeks. In the first of an exclusive three-part interview with Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, <b>fcbayern.de</b> asked the Bayern chairman to rate the club’s start to the season, preview Saturday’s trip to face Werder Bremen, and assess the new-look Bayern line-up. Parts two and three follow on Tuesday and Wednesday.

<b>Interview: Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, part 1</b>

<b><b>fcbayern.de:</b></b> Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, everyone’s talking about the ‘new’ Bayern Munich. How did you rate the Rostock match?
<b><i>Rummenigge:</i></b> “It’s the fantastic start we all wanted. But we won’t be lulled into a false sense of security, nor will we assume we’ve won the championship after just one match. We know we have a good team. But I have this warning: No-one should become big-headed or arrogant.“

<b>fcbayern.de:</b> The newspapers are wondering whether Bayern will actually lose a game this season.
<b><i>Rummenigge:</i></b> “The papers only see things in black and white. We’d do well to keep on working hard. We’ll need concentration and determination to achieve our goals.“

<b>fcbayern.de:</b> The Rostock fixture indicated that Bayern have the makings of a successful team, and an attractive one too. Can you remember the Allianz Arena being brought to its feet as often as Saturday?
<b><i>Rummenigge:</i></b> “It was a fantastic atmosphere, and we were delighted by it. One of our aims with this new team was to send the fans home entertained and satisfied.“

<b>fcbayern.de:</b> Victory in Bremen next Saturday would unleash an even greater wave of euphoria around the club. What do you expect from the match?
<b><i>Rummenigge:</i></b> “The bar will be set higher in Bremen than it was against promoted Hansa Rostock. They’re much higher calibre opponents, and we’ve not come away with much from Bremen in recent years. So I’d say winning would be perfect, but not losing wouldn’t be bad either.“

<b>fcbayern.de:</b> Are you expecting an outbreak of verbals in the build-up to the match, especially after Miroslav Klose’s switch to Munich?
<b><i>Rummenigge:</i></b> “We won’t be saying anything at all in this respect. I’m also convinced that Bremen have no interest in stoking up a hate campaign against Bayern in general, or Miro Klose in particular. It won’t be an easy match for him, but I know Miro will come away from the game a stronger personality. These matches teach you lessons for life.“

<b>fcbayern.de:</b> Klose and the other new signings appear to have added real quality to the team. Does that justify the club’s significant spending over the summer?
<b><i>Rummenigge:</i></b> “We knew we needed radical change to the team after last season. But I’ll still be happy when the injured players return: Podolski, Sagnol, Schlaudraff and Ismael. We need everyone on board, because it’ll be an extremely challenging season.“

<b>fcbayern.de:</b> The longer-serving players such as Philipp Lahm and Bastian Schweinsteiger seem to be blossoming alongside the new faces. Why do you think that should be?
<b><i>Rummenigge:</i></b> “There are two factors: on the one hand there was no World Cup last summer, so the players recovered physically and were also mentally prepared for the new campaign. Second, the dressing room is buzzing thanks to the arrival of the new players. It’s a different atmosphere compared to last season, not just among the players, but throughout the club. The staff all recognise it’s the start of a new era, and being part of it is hugely enjoyable.“

<b>fcbayern.de:</b> How will the heavy investment in new players affect the club’s financial position?
<b><i>Rummenigge:</i></b> “We’re in good financial shape, despite the significant expenditure. I’m cautiously optimistic of hitting our financial targets this season.“

<i>Visit <b>fcbayern.de</b> again on Tuesday for part two of our interview with Karl-Heinz Rummenigge</i>
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News