You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Rummenigge: Pep has fantastic ideas

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Rummenigge: Pep has fantastic ideas

Postby FCBayernNews » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:20 pm

Pre-season is slowly but surely reaching a crucial stage. The first competitive fixture is on Saturday with the DFL Super Cup in Dortmund, followed by the DFB Cup first round two weeks from now and the Bundesliga restart fixture four days after that. fcbayern.de sat down with Karl-Heinz Rummenigge to hear the Bayern chairman's thoughts on the first four weeks of pre-season. Rummenigge also looked ahead to the prestige meetings with Barcelona and Dortmund, and expressed admiration for Pep Guardiola's work and training methods: "It makes me want to go out there and join in."

Interview: Karl-Heinz Rummenigge

fcbayern.de: Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, FCB have won a first, albeit minor trophy of the new season. What did you think of the performance at the Telekom Cup?
Karl-Heinz Rummenigge: I really enjoyed both matches, because we didn't simply win, we played really attractive football and scored some fantastic goals. You can see the team has already worked its way to a high level, in terms of fitness and also tactically, after just a short period of pre-season. We can be positive about the future.

Some Bundesliga personalities say they fear Bayern will again crush the rest of the league. How would you assess the success at the Telekom Cup?
We mustn't make the mistake of thinking we have to justify good performances. The task for the coach, the players and the management is to do as good a job as possible. We're happy about winning the Telekom Cup, although it can only tell us a limited amount. However, it's evidence of the team being in good shape even at this early stage.

New signing Thiago really caught the eye in Mönchengladbach. What did you think of him?
We only completed the transfer a week ago, and he trained with the team for the first time three days before the Telekom Cup, so it was a genuinely promising display. You can see he's a complete player. He has exceptionally good technique, and he's completely taken on board our tactics, partly due to the fact he's already worked under Pep. I think we're going to get a lot out of Thiago.

Pep Guardiola has experimented a great deal so far, fielding Philipp Lahm in midfield for example. What do you think of these experiments?
It's very good, because I think it'll be almost impossible for future opponents to plan for playing Bayern. Pep believes every player should be able to fill a number of positions. I find that very interesting, and - looking at how the players have coped so far - very promising as well. The players are very keen and extremely enthusiastic. They're enjoying the new things Pep has introduced.

After last season's treble, is it a good time for Guardiola to bring in new ideas?
I'm utterly convinced we needed something new after last season. I've been through it myself, in 1975, 1976 and 2001. When you've had such great success, you're naturally inclined to take it a little easier - and that's an immediate step backwards! It's no coincidence that we won nothing in 2001/02, and played nothing like the fantastic football of the previous season. But every player has to prove himself all over again for the new coach. Thanks to the high quality in the squad, none of them can take it easy. Any player who's become complacent has a hungry man right behind him.

Turning to the battle for places in the team, there were no problems in the dressing room at all last season. Can it be the same this time, despite the size of the squad?
I'm reading all the time about how the in-fighting and bickering will break out at Bayern Munich very soon. Stay calm everyone! We'll solve our problems with great composure and discipline, just like last season. I'm certain not a single player will break ranks.

Pep Guardiola is heavily involved in daily training. What do you think of his workouts?
I frequently watch from my window up on the management floor, so I've seen the incredible energy Pep puts in. It makes me want to go out there and join in myself. He has fantastic ideas, but he's also a meticulous hard worker. Nothing happens by chance, every last detail is planned.

Wednesday's meeting with Barcelona for the Uli Hoeneß Cup is a truly prestige friendly between the Champions League holders and the number one in the UEFA club ranking, Guardiola against his former club. Is there a real edge to the game?
Not in the slightest. The clubs have an extremely good relationship, otherwise it wouldn't have been possible to complete the Thiago transfer basically in the course of one weekend. Pep was extremely successful in Barcelona as a player and coach, and I think his relationship with Barcelona is totally okay.

Barcelona coach Tito Vilanova was obliged to step down last week due to cancer. You're friends with Barcelona president Sandro Rosell. Were he and the club shocked by the news?
We're all shocked. I deeply regret what Tito Vilanova is going through at the moment. It's not about football any more, it's about Tito Vilanova the person. We all support him and wish him every success in winning his personal battle.

Three days after the Uli Hoeneß Cup, Bayern face Borussia Dortmund in the DFL Super Cup. Is it a little early for this clash of the German titans?
We can't change the match schedule. We won the Super Cup last season, and we want to defend it now. But Borussia Dortmund will be up for it too, especially after losing the Champions League final. It'll be a serious, interesting game of football.
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News