You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Rummenigge: 'Our aim is to build a great team'

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Rummenigge: 'Our aim is to build a great team'

Postby FCBayernNews » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:50 pm

Bayern has been a hive of activity in recent weeks. The club switched coaches at the beginning of February, before the team began playing catch-up in the Bundesliga and sealed a berth in the Champions League quarter-finals. In <a href="/en/news/news/2007/11177.php?fcb_sid=55b2eb703c4c4e207882a45e18edf97b" target="_top" class="content_link">part one</a> of a major <b>fcbayern.de</b> interview, former world-class striker and club chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge looked back on a pivotal week in the 2006-7 campaign, before discussing the future shape of the squad here in part two.

<b>Interview: Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, part II</b>

<b>fcbayern.de:</b> The club has announced three new signings for next season: Jose Ernesto Sosa, Jan Schlaudraff and Hamit Altintop. What else can Bayern fans expect?

<b><i>Rummenigge:</i></b> "All three newcomers will fit in well. We've brought them in because we know we're losing players too. Mehmet Scholl is retiring, Hasan Salihamidzic is off to Juventus, and we're not extending Ali Karimi's contract. In this sense, we were obliged to do something. But it won't stop at these three. We're totally committed to bringing in one or two more players with the aim of having the highest quality here at Bayern."

<b>fcbayern.de:</b> Can you reveal any names?

<b><i>Rummenigge:</i></b> "No, that would be counter-productive. We're currently talking to candidates. The problem is that it's not just a question of money. We're certainly prepared to invest considerable sums, but unfortunately the Bundesliga doesn't have a particularly good image any more. The leagues in England, Spain and Italy are more attractive to the best players. Fortunately, Bayern Munich enjoy special status, especially as we've just got past Real Madrid in the Champions League. But it's not quite as easy as we would like."

<b>fcbayern.de:</b> A number of players are out of contract at the end of the season, Claudio Pizarro for example. Has a decision been taken regarding the Peruvian?

<b><i>Rummenigge:</i></b> "This is an individual where we'll need the opinion of the new coach for next season <i>[The club has subsequently confirmed that Ottmar Hitzfeld will remain in charge - Ed.]</i>. That also fundamentally applies to our activities in the transfer market. So unfortunately we're having to ask Claudio to remain patient until we have a final decision."

<b>fcbayern.de:</b> And what about Andreas Görlitz?

<b><i>Rummenigge:</i></b> "Andreas was injured for two years, but he's back now and fully fit. Basically, we'd be happy to offer him an extension, provided we can come to a fair agreement."

<b>fcbayern.de:</b> Roque Santa Cruz has indicated he'd like to leave Bayern. Are Bayern prepared to release him?

<b><i>Rummenigge:</i></b> "His manager informed us a short time ago that Roque is considering leaving Bayern if he doesn't play regularly. If a player who's been here for eight seasons expresses this desire, it's something we have to deal with. We've decided to make our purchases first, and then we'll think about who to release."

<b>fcbayern.de:</b> The press are continuing to speculate over Owen Hargreaves' future. Will we see the England international in a Bayern shirt after this season?

<b><i>Rummenigge:</i></b> "We've had a very large offer for him from Manchester United, and it remains valid until this coming summer. But he has a contract with Bayern Munich until 2010, and we're in the fortunate position that our finances are in top-class shape. We'll be presenting another first-class balance sheet this year, so we can still say no if a club like Manchester United come in with a large offer for one of our players. There aren't many players of Owen Hargreaves' quality in the holding midfielder position. And our aim here at Bayern is to build a team capable of great things, not just domestically, but also in Europe."
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Rummenigge: 'Our aim is to build a great team'

Postby fanOfBayern » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:59 pm

FCBayernNews wrote:

fcbayern.de: The press are continuing to speculate over Owen Hargreaves' future. Will we see the England international in a Bayern shirt after this season?

Rummenigge: "We've had a very large offer for him from Manchester United, and it remains valid until this coming summer. But he has a contract with Bayern Munich until 2010, and we're in the fortunate position that our finances are in top-class shape. We'll be presenting another first-class balance sheet this year, so we can still say no if a club like Manchester United come in with a large offer for one of our players. There aren't many players of Owen Hargreaves' quality in the holding midfielder position. And our aim here at Bayern is to build a team capable of great things, not just domestically, but also in Europe."

Nice!!!!!!
fanOfBayern
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News