You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Rummenigge exclusive interview, part II

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Rummenigge exclusive interview, part II

Postby FCBayernNews » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:27 pm

A momentous calendar year is drawing to a close, a twelve-month period featuring highs and lows for Bayern in the Bundesliga, German Cup and Champions League, and also a thrilling World Cup on German soil. Bayern chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge met <b>FCB.tv</b> for a major two-part interview, concluding his thoughts with an assessment of the club's prospects in the New Year, and offering his views on the Dubai training camp, Brazilian ace Kaka, and the club's fruitful youth development work.

<b>Interview: Karl-Heinz Rummenigge</b>

<b>fcbayern.de:</b> Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, let's look ahead to 2007, On January 4, the squad sets off for the club's fourth annual Dubai training camp. Is it truly perfect there, or are there other reasons why Bayern keep going back to Dubai in the winter?

<b><i>Karl-Heinz Rummenigge:</i></b> "I'd have to say it is perfect. The hotel is good, the training pitch is good, the weather's perfect, so we enjoy playing our football, and basically it's good to break sweat in mid-season training. And this year, it's even better because we're contesting a major tournament. I hope we make the final and perhaps win the tournament, because that would be good for our image, and secondly for financial reasons, as the prize money totals 2 million US dollars."

<b>fcbayern.de:</b> Expectations of the Dubai training camp are running high. The players are saying January 4 is the point at which they'll really get going. Why are they so upbeat?

<b><i>Rummenigge:</i></b> "It's calculated optimism, to be frank. I can remember a similar situation in the past, under Ottmar Hitzfeld in 2003-4, we all talked about how we'd come off a perfect mid-season period and catch Werder Bremen, who were six points clear of us back then, but we never managed to put Bremen under any kind of pressure. We must make sure we learn from a below-par season in 2003-4 and don't repeat our mistake. Fine words need to be followed by heroic deeds! I think the team has the potential to make up the three points on Werder Bremen, but we'll have to play better football than we have up to now."

<b>fcbayern.de:</b> Is there any chance we might see a surprise new face in Dubai? Willy Sagnol fancies the Brazilian Kaka…

<b><i>Rummenigge:</i></b> "I reckon our players are well advised not to voice this kind of thing in public. Obviously Kaka is a fantastic, world-class player, but does anyone seriously believe AC Milan would sell Kaka? Milan are in real trouble in Serie A, so can you seriously imagine they'd sell a player who has a valid contract? We know what we need and want, and we know what's possible, but that's just not possible. Naturally we'd be prepared to bring someone in, but we have to be realistic, and think these things over in peace."

<b>fcbayern.de:</b> Mehmet Scholl is definitely hanging up his boots at the end of the season. He'll be offered a new position on the staff at the club – has that been finalised yet?

<b><i>Rummenigge:</i></b> "Mehmet Scholl will have a massive testimonial match against Barcelona, and yes, we are planning to offer him a position on the staff, because we'd like him to act as a link between the first team and the youth section. He has a real affinity for youth development, and I believe Mehmet can perform a vital function for us."

<b>fcbayern.de:</b> On a more positive note, Bayern have offered professional terms to yet another of the club's own youth products, defender Mats Hummels.

<b><i>Rummenigge:</i></b> "Yes, he's talented and he's come on well, testimony to our excellent youth section. Our goal isn't winning the German Under-19 Cup, but to produce as many first-team players as possible from within our own ranks. Seven of the current first-team squad learnt the trade with us, Hummels is the latest addition. The German first and second divisions feature 52 Bayern Munich youth products. No other club comes close in terms of quantity but also quality. We're very proud of our record, we'll continue to improve it, and make even more use of it in the future."

<i>To watch both parts of our exclusive interview with Karl-Heinz Rummenigge in full, why not <a href="/en/news/news/2006/09756.php?fcb_sid=b3317fc9ab6215756c27022f10b247ca" target="_top" class="content_link">sign up now</a> for our exciting premium channel <b>FCB.tv</b>?</i>
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News