You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Rueful Reds reflect on missed opportunity

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Rueful Reds reflect on missed opportunity

Postby FCBayernNews » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:00 pm

At around half-past midnight local time, as the Bayern party was preparing to board their Lufthansa flight back to Munich from Moscow's Sheremetyevo 2 airport, news of the evening result from Milan began to do the rounds. Internazionale had defeated Sporting Lisbon 1-0 to seal the second qualifying berth in Group B. After losing their first two matches, the Italians have since amassed nine points and could still knock Bayern (11 pts) off top spot when the teams meet in the final group fixture.

"That's a shame. We could have avoided this showdown," general manager Uli Hoeneß mused, voicing the feelings of the entire party at that moment in time. Munich were held to a 2-2 draw by Russian runners-up Spartak Moscow, but the Bavarians know full well they could easily have collected maximum points from an at times enthralling match.

<b>Point gained, two dropped</b>

"We've earned a point but thrown two away," coach Felix Magath succinctly summarised. Munich led until 20 minutes from the end courtesy of a Claudio Pizarro brace (22, 36), yet again coming from behind after Maxym Kalynychenko had opened the scoring on 16 minutes. Unfortunately from a Bayern point-of-view, Radoslav Kovac equalised from close range after a corner.

"We're all pretty down. We're angry at failing to clinch the win," Bastian Schweinsteiger fumed. "We didn't look at all good at two set plays, so we've robbed ourselves of a deserved victory. It would have been easy enough to win here today," criticised chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge.

<b>Makaay and Van Buyten out of luck</b>

It was not that the visitors had no chances. "Unfortunately, we failed to put away our openings on the break in the second half," Magath confirmed. Roy Makaay was denied by home keeper Aleksei Zuev when he was poised to wrap up the points on 70 minutes, and Daniel van Buyten steered a stoppage time header wide of the goal from point-blank range. "I'm not going to be able to sleep after that," the downcast defender lamented.

Nevertheless, the Bayern camp was generally satisfied with a fluent display on the unaccustomed artificial turf. "Given the playing surface, I think we saw a pretty good game. I'm basically very satisfied. I reckon we deserved to win," Hoeneß stated. "I was pleased at a good performance by my team, but we've not got the reward we deserved," Magath echoed.

<b>Chairman: We'll win group</b>

The result means Bayern remain undefeated on the European stage this term. "Three wins and two draws ain't bad," Hoeneß declared. Rummenigge remains convinced his men can avoid a first defeat in the winner-takes-all clash with Inter at the Allianz Arena on 5 December: "We only need a draw, and I'm absolutely certain we'll get at least that."
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Rueful Reds reflect on missed opportunity

Postby MUTU » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:30 pm

FCBayernNews wrote:The result means Bayern remain undefeated on the European stage this term. "Three wins and two draws ain't bad," Hoeneß declared. Rummenigge remains convinced his men can avoid a first defeat in the winner-takes-all clash with Inter at the Allianz Arena on 5 December: "We only need a draw, and I'm absolutely certain we'll get at least that."

If we simply aim for a draw, we might lose. We need to aim for a win, especially against such an attack-minded team. We can't afford to sit back and play for a draw, as they will punish us.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Re: Rueful Reds reflect on missed opportunity

Postby tracylynn » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:52 am

FCBayernNews wrote: Rummenigge remains convinced his men can avoid a first defeat in the winner-takes-all clash with Inter at the Allianz Arena on 5 December: "We only need a draw, and I'm absolutely certain we'll get at least that."

This is the problem. You can't go around saying, "we only need a draw" because then the players are gonna have that same mentality and they could very well get burned. IMO, this is what is happening with the team. They don't view every game as a mist win game, which they really should, and that I believe is causing them problems.

I honestly don't think I've ever heard any coach or high ranking staff talk like that, therefore I think it's time that I take over as coach. I'll whip the boys into shape. You all can thank me later. :lol:
tracylynn
I post all the time

Return to Official FC Bayern News