You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Roy Makaay's 10.12 second goal against Madrid

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Roy Makaay's 10.12 second goal against Madrid

Postby FCBayernNews » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:10 pm

The referee blows, Madrid kick-off - and then this: “The ball went to Gago, he played it to Roberto Carlos and he lost control. Salihamidžić intercepted and before we knew it, it was in the net.”

That's Roy Makaay, remembering his opening goal in the Champions League first knockout round second leg tie against Real Madrid on 7 March 2007. The Dutchman, who celebrated his 45th birthday on Monday 9 March, scored after just 10.12 seconds and is still the fastest Champions League goalscorer in history. The 'goal phantom' buried Hasan Salihamidžić’s cross with his right foot into the lower left corner to net an extremely important goal.

Makaay strikes Bayern towards the quarterfinals

Two weeks earlier, Bayern had lost the first leg at Estadio Bernabeu 3-2. The tension in the Allianz Arena was high and the 66,000 spectators hoped for a quick start from FCB - Makaay definitely gave them that.

In the end, the Munich side won the game 2-1 (Lucio also scored) and advanced to the quarter-finals on the away goals rule. “It's nice that people remember me with this record,” said Makaay looking back fondly at his lightning strike.

The goal in images:

Top 5 fastest UCL goals:

1) Roy Makaay (FC Bayern), 10.12 seconds, against Real Madrid, 7 March 2007

2) Jonas (Valencia), 10.96 seconds, against Bayer 04 Leverkusen, 1 November 2011

3) Gilberto Silva (Arsenal), 20.07 seconds, against PSV Eindhoven, 25 September 2002

4) Alessandro del Piero (Juventus), 20.12 seconds, against Manchester United, 1 October 1997

5) Clarence Seedorf (AC Milan), 21.06 seconds, against Schalke, 28 September 2005

The goal was only possible because Hasan Salihamidžić was on the ball from the first second:
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Roy Makaay's 10.12 second goal against Madrid

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:25 pm

Would have thought Pato vs Barca would make that list. Apparently it’s sixth.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby ramsej84 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:52 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:Would have thought Pato vs Barca would make that list. Apparently it’s sixth.
This game vs Real was my second visit to the club. The first one being the first leg
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:57 pm

ramsej84 wrote:
FCBayernMunchen wrote:Would have thought Pato vs Barca would make that list. Apparently it’s sixth.
This game vs Real was my second visit to the club. The first one being the first leg

I have a pretty funny story related to that tie, although more to the first leg. At the time I could rarely watch any Bayern games so I remember logging into uefa.com the morning after, before school and seeing a 3-2 loss. Because people at the time were always telling me about how important away goals are my immediate reaction was “yup, we’re definitely through” and then I remember telling everyone Real messed up and now there is no way they will eliminate us because we have two away goals haha... and then of course it only took 10 seconds into the second game to get in a position of qualifying.

The thing is an away loss vs Real is not exactly a good result no matter how many away goals you get. My conviction at the time was more due to not quite understanding how the away rule works probably.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Return to Official FC Bayern News