You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Robben: Our only target was the three points

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Robben: Our only target was the three points

Postby FCBayernNews » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Bayern are all but certain to arrive at the midpoint of the Bundesliga campaign at the top of the table, after extending their lead over the pack to three points with a narrow but ultimately deserved 2-1 victory away to ten-man VfB Stuttgart on Sunday evening. Anything better than a defeat in next Friday's meeting with FC Köln would guarantee Jupp Heynkces' side the unofficial 'autumn championship'.

Reaction to Stuttgart v Bayern:

Jupp Heynckes: "There are still 18 games to play. The crucial thing was to come here today and win, which you can never take for granted in Stuttgart. Especially towards the end, you could see some of my players beginning to look drained. Gomez didn't just score the two goals, he also worked really hard when we weren't in possession. Games against Stuttgart are very special for him. Fortunately, he's scored both goals today, and we really needed them."

Thomas Müller: "It was an important match, and Stuttgart are very hard work away from home. We went a goal down but put it behind us very well. We've turned a game around and fought back. We made trouble for ourselves towards the end because we failed to make it 3-1, and it was a very nervous finish. You might even say we were a little fortunate, because Stuttgart had chances."

Arjen Robben: "We're very pleased. Our only target was the three points, and we've hit the target. No one was expecting Dortmund to drop points, but we've won our match so it's been a good day. I'm just focusing on my game. I've been through a difficult period. What matters most to me is making it out onto the field. That's what counts."

Bruno Labbadia (Stuttgart coach): "My team put up a fantastic fight and we were very good tactically. We've not been rewarded for our courage in switching to two strikers. It's a shame, but it wasn't quite enough."

Christian Gentner (Stuttgart captain): "Who knows how it might have ended if it had been 11 against 11. Bayern are capable of controlling the ball for long periods, and it played to their strengths today. We're not playing well enough at the moment to stay in touch at the top. But it's still been a decent first half of the season, and a step in the right direction."
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News