You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Ribery & Robben fit, Gomez doubtful

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Ribery & Robben fit, Gomez doubtful

Postby FCBayernNews » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:10 pm

Bayern's midweek victory over Zürich means the Bundesliga giants are well placed to reach the Champions League group stage, but it has also left boss Jupp Heynckes with a possible selection headache ahead of Saturday's Bundesliga meeting with Hamburg (Live in English from 3:30 pm CET on FCB.tv Web Radio). Mario Gomez, Franck Ribéry and Arjen Robben all have minor injuries and were unable to train as normal on Thursday. Ribéry and Robben resumed the team programme on the eve of the match and are expected to play, but Gomez was restricted to jogging. Will all three be fit in time to face HSV?

"We'll have to wait and see," Heynckes told Friday lunchtime's pre-match news conference, "but I'm confident." Of the three, Robben has been suffering the most niggling fitness problems, playing through the Champions League play-off first leg despite persistent pain. "It's an injury to the back, but he's feeling the pain in his groin," Heynckes explained. However, the Netherlands international is on the road to recovery, and the coach will leave it to the player to signal his fitness for the match.

The same situation applies to Ribéry. The France superstar bruised a hip against Zürich, but is expected to feature against HSV. As for Gomez, even before Friday's final pre-match training session, the Germany international informed the head coach that he is close to shaking off a sprain sustained against the Swiss. However, there is still a problem with a trapped nerve, and a question-mark remains over the player. Heynckes will take a late decision on his line-up, "but I'm hopeful," the 66-year-old declared.

"Hopeful" also describes the mood in the Bayern camp as they approach the meeting with the northerners, who have made a poor start to the campaign with just a single point from their two matches. However, Heynckes feels the situation is fraught with danger. "We'll need a much better than average performance," the coach demanded, although confidence is soaring at FCB right now following back-to-back victories over Wolfsburg and Zürich. "We're playing much better football now, and we need to build on that," Heynckes stated.

Petric absent for Hamburg

As is practically always the case, Bayern can expect to face a defensive opposing side at the Allianz Arena on Saturday, an approach confirmed in advance by Hamburg boss Michael Oenning. "We're going there in the knowledge it'll be a tough match, but with the feeling we can get something from it, provided my team sticks to the tactical plan," the former Nuremberg coach declared. The northerners are without top striker Mladen Petric, who has flu. The Croatia star's place in the hole behind lone striker Son Heung Min could go to Gökhan Tore or Eljero Elia.

Bayern and their fans maintain fond memories of Hamburg's last visit to Munich on Matchday 26 last term, when the home side ran riot and racked up a 6-0 victory. "But I'm ruling out us getting blown away again," insisted Hamburg skipper Heiko Westermann. As for Heynckes, he would be entirely happy with a 1-0 victory, as it is a must-win game for the men from Munich. And the history of the fixture speaks fully in favour of a home success: Bayern have beaten Hamburg more often than any other opponents in their Bundesliga history.
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Ribery & Robben fit, Gomez doubtful

Postby quaazi » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:35 pm

Is this the time when we get to see Olic make his return? God I hope so.
The ideal team

--------Müller with gloves--------
-Müller--Müller--Müller--Müller--
-------Müller---------Müller-------
----Müller----Müller----Müller----
---------------Müller---------------
quaazi
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Estonia

Re: Ribery & Robben fit, Gomez doubtful

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:24 pm

As thankful as I am to Gomez for last season...

FCBayernNews wrote:Ribery & Robben fit, Gomez doubtful

Those words are some of the best I have read all week considering the current situation.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Return to Official FC Bayern News