You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Rib & Rob return to fired-up squad

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Rib & Rob return to fired-up squad

Postby FCBayernNews » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:00 pm

Arjen Robben and Franck Ribéry resumed the squad training programme on Thursday after a week on the sidelines with injury. "Both were very committed," revealed Mario Gomez, who now expects the wing pair to be fit in time for Sunday's Bundesliga opener against Gladbach. "It won't be a problem," the striker declared, "they only had minor injuries, and you can see how determined they are."

A more sober analysis recognises that both superstars must first come through a couple of days' training without any reaction to their injuries, but whether or not they play, the entire Bayern squad is fired up for the opening league fixture. "It all starts for real on Sunday, and none of us can wait," remarked Philipp Lahm, stating that the club's target was "to be top of the Bundesliga from the start. We've played catch up for both of the last two seasons, and that costs a lot of energy. We can't allow it to happen again this year. The players are always more confident when we're up at the top from the beginning."

The convincing 3-0 DFB Cup victory over Braunschweig last Monday means FCB are on a high going into the new league campaign. Lahm feels the team must now build on that, while continuing to work on the right balance between attack and defence. "We need an even better blend of offensive and defensive play," he confirmed. The Braunschweig result showed that the team was heading in the right direction, but the positive trend needs to be confirmed in the Bundesliga. "And we're working hard on it," the club captain said.

Gomez: I'm very fit

Lahm described Gladbach as "a good team with very, very good individuals," but he also had an unmistakable message for Sunday's opponents: "We're looking only at ourselves and the balance. We know we have better players than Gladbach in every position." After switching from the right to the left side of defence, Lahm himself has a little fine-tuning to do. "Obviously I still have to re-acclimatise, but it's something I've already done successfully in the past."

Gomez is another case of a player successfully adapting his game to suit what is best for Bayern. The man who finished as the league's top scorer last term is now looking to build on the progress he made. "Players live in the here and now, so resting on your laurels is useless," he declared, "as always, my aim is to give my best for the team. I'm very fit and looking forward to the new season." Gomez, Lahm and all the Munich stars can hardly wait for it to begin.
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News