You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Rensing all set for potential Milan call

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Rensing all set for potential Milan call

Postby FCBayernNews » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:10 pm

Michael Rensing was chatting to journalists outside the dressing rooms at the Grünwald stadium following the Bayern reserves' comfortable 3-0 victory over SSV Reutlingen on Saturday when second team boss Hermann Gerland strolled by. "Don't both talking to him. He's only made one save today," the coach nicknamed Tiger commented with a grin, clapping his keeper affectionately on the shoulder.

Indeed, Rensing had only a bit part in the reserves' third division south outing at the weekend, but the situation could be dramatically different in a week or so from now. Should a one-match UEFA ban imposed on Oliver Kahn not be rescinded on appeal, the 22-year-old number two goalkeeper would stand between the sticks for the Champions League quarter-final first leg away to AC Milan on 3 April.

<b>Reunion with Milan</b>

"It would be the absolute highlight of my career so far," Rensing told <b>fcbayern.de</b>. "I've made a few appearances in the Bundesliga and for the Germany U-21s, but in terms of significance, Milan would be very special." Kahn's designated successor as first-choice keeper at the club is ready and raring to go if called upon to make one of his rare forays into the world of top-class European club football.

In fact, the only previous such occasion came almost exactly a year ago in February 2006, when Rensing made his first and to date only Champions League appearance. The first knockout round opponents on that occasion were the same AC Milan. "I know it ended in a 1-1 home draw, but I have fond memories of the match," the keeper recalled. He was beaten from the Allianz Arena penalty spot that night, "but otherwise, my first Champions League game went well."

<b>Two first-team run-outs this term</b>

The 22-year-old has good reason to be pleased with almost all his outings with the senior side so far. In 17 Bundesliga, German Cup and Champions League appearances, his only defeat came in the Cup exit against Aachen last December. That match was also his most recent for the first-team and his second of the current season, to go with 15 matches for the reserves.

"I've not played a lot in recent times," the player acknowledged, making him potentially even more fired up for the challenge in northern Italy than some of the more experienced stars. "I'd be really thrilled if I play," he concluded, fully aware that an evening stopping shots at the San Siro in Milan would be a much busier affair than an afternoon at the Grünwald stadium against SSV Reutlingen.
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News