You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Reaction to VfB Stuttgart v Bayern

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Reaction to VfB Stuttgart v Bayern

Postby FCBayernNews » Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:45 pm

Ottmar Hitzfeld made no attempt to hide his profound dismay after Bayern’s 2-0 defeat away to VfB Stuttgart. “We gave a diabolical display, especially in the first half,” the Munich head coach raged. Captain Oliver Kahn was equally in no mood to pull punches: “You have to go back a long way to recall a display like that.”

<b>Reaction to VfB Stuttgart v Bayern:</b>

<b>Ottmar Hitzfeld:</b> “Obviously we’re bitterly disappointed. We gave a diabolical display, especially in the first half. We were never able to get going. Stuttgart were bursting with aggression and started very well. Too many of my players’ heads went down with the score at 2-0 – I didn’t like that one bit. You’re always in with a chance, but you have to fight for every inch of ground. We lacked the aggression we needed. We rallied in the second half, but we failed to score, and it was all too late anyway. I’m exceptionally disappointed with our display. We know we don’t have the quality in certain areas, but we have to make a lot more of what we’ve got, and there’s no way we’re worse than VfB with what we have right now. What we lacked was fight, passion and desire, but those are essentials. I also think the fact we’re not used to battling just to finish third may have been a factor. Finals for Bayern normally mean finishing first. We were afraid of the consequences, the pressure was immense – it was all negative tension. I believe it was a mental problem for my team. All that aside, we have to roll up our sleeves try and win all our remaining games, and preserve a chance of qualifying for the Champions League.”

<b>Oliver Kahn:</b> “I was seriously surprised at the way we approached the game in the first half. You have to go back a long way to recall a display like that. We let in a goal, and we promptly fell apart. You can’t let your head drop, you have to pull yourself together mentally. We were still bothered by letting one in, and then we conceded a second and nearly a third. Even now, after the match, I can’t explain the first half.”

<b>Mark van Bommel:</b> “It was an evenly-matched contest until they scored. It wasn’t good, but it wasn’t a catastrophe. You’ve still got to expect more from us after going 2-0 down. I’ve not regretted moving to Bayern for a single second. In my opinion, Bayern remain the best team in Germany. Unfortunately, we’re not first, we’re fourth, and we have only ourselves to blame.”

<b>Horst Held (VfB Manager):</b> “There’s not a lot to complain about after the week we’ve had. Our team is performing heroics at the moment. We could have been 4-0 ahead at half time. Bayern never got to grips with us.”

<b>Armin Veh (VfB coach):</b> “We gave a commanding display today. We kept it very tight at the back and created plenty of chances. We definitely deserved to win by two goals. The match reflected a great season for us, but it’s not over yet and anything could still happen. We need to remain cautious. You make more mistakes when you’re successful.”

<b>Timo Hildebrand (VfB keeper):</b> “We looked good in attack, we matched Bayern for aggression, but we defended incredibly well and stopped them having chances. There are four games to go – if we keep on concentrating, we could go all the way.”
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Reaction to VfB Stuttgart v Bayern

Postby tracylynn » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:35 pm

FCBayernNews wrote:

<b>Ottmar Hitzfeld:</b> “Obviously we’re bitterly disappointed. We gave a diabolical display, especially in the first half. We were never able to get going. Stuttgart were bursting with aggression and started very well. Too many of my players’ heads went down with the score at 2-0 – I didn’t like that one bit. You’re always in with a chance, but you have to fight for every inch of ground. We lacked the aggression we needed. We rallied in the second half, but we failed to score, and it was all too late anyway. I’m exceptionally disappointed with our display. We know we don’t have the quality in certain areas, but we have to make a lot more of what we’ve got, and there’s no way we’re worse than VfB with what we have right now. What we lacked was fight, passion and desire, but those are essentials. I also think the fact we’re not used to battling just to finish third may have been a factor. Finals for Bayern normally mean finishing first. We were afraid of the consequences, the pressure was immense – it was all negative tension. I believe it was a mental problem for my team. All that aside, we have to roll up our sleeves try and win all our remaining games, and preserve a chance of qualifying for the Champions League.

The comments that are in bold are, IMO, very significant. First of all, the display was diabolical. There really is no reason for them to put on that kind of display. I don't even think the worst teams put on that kind of display.

Secondly, you are always in but you have to fight for it. No one is going to give it to you, so I don't understand why it seems that some players think it is going to be handed to them. It's like they really don't want to work for the win, they just want the paycheck and that is it.

Thirdly, they don't have the quality and thank God Hitzfeld said it because the management isn't going to say it. Heck, they haven't said it at all and they seem to refuse to acknowledge the lack of quality. Anyways, they need to somehow make up for the lack but it seems like no one wants to take that first step in doing so.

Fourth, they need the fight, passion, and desire. Those qualities are and have been missing from the team for a long time. I wish someone would light a fire under their behinds.

Lastly, they do a problem mentally. Someone has f**ked with their minds and they have let it get to them.
Raider (1996-2007) - A very lovable cat that I will miss dearly.
tracylynn
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby SNAKE » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:44 am

Lets just say that their problem was after the Milan defeat, they played a lot of mind games on Bayern's unexperienced players, and were sure of victory on us so that messed up their confidence a lot.

SNAKE
SNAKE
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News